Save problems with VDMSound

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
Nimius
GP2 Newbie

Save problems with VDMSound

Post by Nimius »

Hi, Hope someone can help with this one.

I have got GP2 up and running nicely under XP using VDMsound and GP2Lap, but can't seem to be able to save the game on any screen at all. :( (using GP2Video you had to save during a race as file size was wrong else. I don't use this anymore anyway but have tried saving in cockpit and during the menu screens.) I even get problems without using GP2Lap so it's nothing to do with that....

Very frustrated as I've been messing with this game for years. #-o

(Even trying to type on a re-mapped keyboard here just for GP2!)

Sorry if already covered - couldn't find it anywhere!

Cheers in advance
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Re: Save problems with VDMSound

Post by rremedio »

Tell us what happens...A crash to desktop? An error message? Maybe we can help.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
Nimius
GP2 Newbie

Post by Nimius »

Hi, thanks for the comeback.

When I try to save the game through the in game menu during any stage of a championship campaign, a screen comes up saying: "save error" at the top of the screen and a dialogue box says "Save Not Permitted" with the usual red "OK" button underneath. :-k

Strangely this doesn't seem to happen under "Practice any circuit" or "Non-Championship Race"

Must be something I'm overlooking....

Tried to get you a screen-shot but this just froze up the game :cry:

Thanks for your time.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I've never seen that error, Nimius. Let's hope AAS or someone else can help you.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
AAS
GP2 Star

Post by AAS »

I've never seen that error, Nimius. :-k
Maybe you can solve this by deleting the file F1GSTATE.SAV from the GP2 directory.
Note this will destroy some of your settings but these can be restored by loading a previous saved game.
So make sure you always have one!
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

A very mysterious problem indeed. Aren't there some sites were a new GP2 copy can be downloaded? It would be interesting if another copy of GP2 works without that problem.
Visit my website: FK's sportscar project
nimrod111
GP2 Gamer

Post by nimrod111 »

AAS wrote:I've never seen that error, Nimius. :-k
Maybe you can solve this by deleting the file F1GSTATE.SAV from the GP2 directory.
Note this will destroy some of your settings but these can be restored by loading a previous saved game.
So make sure you always have one!

The only thing I can imagine is that some files or directories are set as read-only files. :-k
Nimius
GP2 Newbie

Post by Nimius »

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've tried re-installing the game from scratch and slowly re-introduced each of my mods one at a time to try and see what is causing it, but.....

I have managed to save the game in the default directory now, but it still won't allow me to save it anywhere else! I am now in my sixth season and have never had any probs before. I'm now guessing it's a GP2 prob rather than VDMsound even though this was the only major change made for this season. (From DosBox to XP).

I reckon Nimrod is closest to the truth but as far as I can see, everything appears normal.

Oh well, at least I can save now, but a bit scared it'll happen again or corrupt halfway through the season! :?

Many Thanks again for all your time!!! =D>