GP2 1991 Season MOD (BETA Version)

Here you can post criticisms, ideas or questions to the forum!
ngendro
GP2 Newbie

Re: GP2 1991 Season MOD - By ngendro

Post by ngendro »

RacerBG / Michael82:

First of all, thank you!

The reason for the C:\ directory is because of the sound selection program I made. It works with 4 BATCH files I created that are executed every time you choose a sound and 4 different SAMPLE.CAT files (one for each engine sound). When you press for example the "Ferrari V12" engine sound button, the program runs a batch file that copies the SAMPLE.CAT that contains the Ferrari sounds to the "SOUND" directory of the GP2 and replaces it. The C:\ directory is necessary because of the batch files command lines programming. That's the best way I found. If you know a better way to program the batch files so the command lines be independent of the base directory please tell me and I'll modify them.
If we work toghether we can improove it and maybe in the future make more MODS!
Thanks for your feedback!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

If it just needs to copy the files, I can help you. Which programming language did you use?

About the mod, I love it! Always wanted a full season package and 1991 is a great choice. Everything looks and sounds great!

Just a small note: in my system, DosBox won't be installed to C:\Program Files, but to C:\Program Files (x86) so the shortcuts generated by the mod are not correct. It's no big deal as I just needed to update my DosBox configuration with the mod path.

Thank you very much for this mod!
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
ngendro
GP2 Newbie

Post by ngendro »

RacerBG / rremedio

I found a way:
The sound selection menu is programmed with C:\ targets for the BATCH files for make it standard. If you want to run GP2 in other specific directory the BATCH files and the Btn.ini from the menu must be modified. You must modify the GP2 starter shorcut target too.

Edit BATCH files:

Open the directory "\GP21991\Gamedata\BATS". You'll find 4 BATCH files, one for each sound.
Make backup of them. Now edit them with notepad replacing the original targets with your specific directory location.

Example:

Original BATCH
-----------------------------
cd C:\GP21991\Gamedata\CATS\V10
copy sample.cat C:\GP21991\Gamedata\SOUND
exit
-------------------------------

Change it
-------------------------------
cd X:\XXXX\GP21991\Gamedata\CATS\V10
copy sample.cat X:\XXXX\GP21991\Gamedata\SOUND
exit
--------------------------------

Where "X" represents the unit and custom directory.
Make the same with all BATCH files.

Edit Btn.ini:

Open directory "\GP21991\src". Then locate the file "Btn.ini". Make BACKUP! Then, edit it with notepad and modify the targets on the lines containing the word "Action" at the begining.

Example:

Original line:
Action=C:\GP21991\Gamedata\BATS\sonidoV12F.bat

Modified line:
Action=X:\XXXXX\GP21991\Gamedata\BATS\sonidoV12F.bat

Original line:
Action=C:\GP21991\Gamedata\simstarter

Modified line:
Action=X:\XXXX\GP21991\Gamedata\simstarter

Where "X" is representing the unit and custom directory.

Now, you must modify the targets on the GP2 shortcuts (VDMS and DOSBox) located at the \GP21991\Gamedata\simstarter directory with the new GP2.exe location target, otherwise they won´t work.

This should work.
Try it and give me your feedback.
ngendro
GP2 Newbie

Post by ngendro »

rremedio wrote:If it just needs to copy the files, I can help you. Which programming language did you use?

About the mod, I love it! Always wanted a full season package and 1991 is a great choice. Everything looks and sounds great!

Just a small note: in my system, DosBox won't be installed to C:\Program Files, but to C:\Program Files (x86) so the shortcuts generated by the mod are not correct. It's no big deal as I just needed to update my DosBox configuration with the mod path.

Thank you very much for this mod!
rremedio, my friend!
I'm glad you liked it! This MOD wouldn't be possible with out the great Magic Data editor!! So thank you very much!

Look, I made the menu with a program called Quick Menu Builder, and I programmed the BATCH files with simple DOS command lines.
Since I'm not even close a programmer, I tried to keep it simple.
If you have any Idea on how to improve the directory issue, be my guest!!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Editing the bats and Bnt.ini worked good for me.

Fastest thing I can do to help with the directories is to create a simple script that changes the bats and bnt.ini automatically, without the need for the user to edit it himself and type the paths. He would just need to install the mod anywhere he wants and run the script a single time before he enters the menu for the first time.

I'm glad your used the magic data editor. It's good for single races but making packages like that possible are its main purpose on my side :D
Early 90s F1 forever!
ngendro
GP2 Newbie

Post by ngendro »

rremedio wrote:Editing the bats and Bnt.ini worked good for me.

Fastest thing I can do to help with the directories is to create a simple script that changes the bats and bnt.ini automatically, without the need for the user to edit it himself and type the paths. He would just need to install the mod anywhere he wants and run the script a single time before he enters the menu for the first time.

I'm glad your used the magic data editor. It's good for single races but making packages like that possible are its main purpose on my side :D

Yes! the script idea is great! When you have it could you send it to me?

I liked your idea of your GP2 Season Project. So, count on me for that.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

This is my attempt at a provisional solution.

http://www.mediafire.com/?14w45v4juovb7rw

You must install the mod in any folder, then put updatesystem.exe on your xx\GP21991 folder (always that folder...the same folder as GP2 1991 MOD.exe) and run it. It should update all the files with the correct paths.

There are some issues:

1. The script was writen with Ruby, but Ruby won't produce windows exes (the user should have Ruby installed to use the script, just like Java) so I've used also Ocra which is a tool to create windows .exes from Ruby scripts. The problem of making this way is that the .exe will always be too big (in this case, more than 3MB for a simple script) and will always lag a little to launch (you have to wait between 1 and 30 seconds for the script to run). It's lagging just 1 second on my system, but I have Ruby installed and I don't know if this makes it launch faster.

2. Becouse of some Ocra related issues, I'm not sure the script will work on other people systems (it worked on my system) so it would be good if more people test it.
ngendro wrote:I liked your idea of your GP2 Season Project. So, count on me for that.
More hands are always welcome. Thank you!
Early 90s F1 forever!
ngendro
GP2 Newbie

Post by ngendro »

rremedio wrote:This is my attempt at a provisional solution.

You must install the mod in any folder, then put updatesystem.exe on your xx\GP21991 folder (always that folder...the same folder as GP2 1991 MOD.exe) and run it. It should update all the files with the correct paths.

There are some issues:

1. The script was writen with Ruby, but Ruby won't produce windows exes (the user should have Ruby installed to use the script, just like Java) so I've used also Ocra which is a tool to create windows .exes from Ruby scripts. The problem of making this way is that the .exe will always be too big (in this case, more than 3MB for a simple script) and will always lag a little to launch (you have to wait between 1 and 30 seconds for the script to run). It's lagging just 1 second on my system, but I have Ruby installed and I don't know if this makes it launch faster.

2. Becouse of some Ocra related issues, I'm not sure the script will work on other people systems (it worked on my system) so it would be good if more people test it.
ngendro wrote:I liked your idea of your GP2 Season Project. So, count on me for that.

Great man! That was fast! Thanks a lot. I'm at work right now, when I get home I'll give it a try.
cheers
ngendro
GP2 Newbie

Post by ngendro »

rremedio wrote:This is my attempt at a provisional solution.

There are some issues:

The patch works perfect!!
Thank you. I'll Include it on the first post, so everyone can download it.

greetings!
Peze
GP2 Gamer

Post by Peze »

This is great season mod =D>

Nice menu pics and engine sounds, and there is even background sounds/noise on the pit lane before entering to the track, that's great! And it's good to be able to run it on dosbox.

And thanks to rremedio for batch update :)

What is the music in sound selection menu by the way? When new sound is selected (and copied), the sample.cat file modification date stays oddly on 22.7.2012, only time varies a bit (first tought that sound selector won't work, but when test drove the sound was changed).

One more question: wasn't Phoenix layout changed for 1991 than what it is in the mod?
ngendro
GP2 Newbie

Post by ngendro »

Peze wrote:This is great season mod =D>

Nice menu pics and engine sounds, and there is even background sounds/noise on the pit lane before entering to the track, that's great! And it's good to be able to run it on dosbox.

And thanks to rremedio for batch update :)

What is the music in sound selection menu by the way? When new sound is selected (and copied), the sample.cat file modification date stays oddly on 22.7.2012, only time varies a bit (first tought that sound selector won't work, but when test drove the sound was changed).

One more question: wasn't Phoenix layout changed for 1991 than what it is in the mod?
I'm glad you liked it. Yes, I tried to pay attention to every detail. I'm happy you noticed the pit ambient sound! I thought no one was gonna notice! The music background on the game initial menu is from the FUJI television F1 opening theme.
I think I made a mistake with phoenix and I included the 1990 version of the track. I'll have to replace it by the correct one...
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

Awesome
=D> =D> =D>

Thanks a lot man. Unfortuantely at the moment I can't download it because of my internet speed but after 1 month I will be with full power and....let's rock GP2 again. 8)

Maybe you just found a new way how to edit GP2 who knows..... But if we are able to do such programs GP2 easily can "overtake" the modern games. \:D/
ngendro
GP2 Newbie

Post by ngendro »

RacerBG wrote:
Awesome
=D> =D> =D>

Thanks a lot man. Unfortuantely at the moment I can't download it because of my internet speed but after 1 month I will be with full power and....let's rock GP2 again. 8)

Maybe you just found a new way how to edit GP2 who knows..... But if we are able to do such programs GP2 easily can "overtake" the modern games. \:D/
I strongly believe that GP2 is still better than lots of actual "simulators". Todays F1 games doesn't feel real. In GP2 you can feel that inexplicable sensation that the car you drive is real, Geoff Crammond made an amazing work on GP2 physics. And only 58MB!!! That's what I call do much with little.

Long live GP2!
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

Completly agree with you ! Gp4 has better graphics but the physics isn't too good.. my dream is a gp2 with a AI editor and the rain in gp2..
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

Michael82 wrote:Completly agree with you ! Gp4 has better graphics but the physics isn't too good.. my dream is a gp2 with a AI editor and the rain in gp2..
Plus the unfinished team radio system and updated version fo GP2Edit plus other editor updates and then I will play&edit GP2 until Im alive :!: [-o<

I also agree with you but if you ask me I prefer the F1GP controls system (don't know why). Anyway everybody here knows that GP2 is the best.

And some of us have the potential to continue the development of some tools Im sure. :wink: