RE: Updated Original Carset

Here you can present your WIP or new cars and/or stuff you made for GP2
SimtekPacific
GP2 Newbie

RE: Updated Original Carset

Post by SimtekPacific »

Hello

This is a revised version of the original GP2 carset with new driver/team values. I have worked very hard to try and make this as realistic as possible.
1994.zip
(117.58 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
So, the reason I have done this is, while the original carset was stunning in it's ability to prescribe the actual field spread of the 1994 season, there were several GLARING issues:
DAVID COULTHARD
David Coulthard was a very talented driver. However, in 1994 he raced in eight races and scored 14 points. He was new and tentative, and was nowhere near as fast as the game indicated.
RELIABLITY
The 1994 season saw dreadful reliability for many teams. The game made the cars seem much more reliable than they really were. McLaren and Tyrrell were very fragile indeed!
OTHER POINTS
Some of the drivers are not accurate. For example, Ukyo Katayama is too powerful, while Martin Brundle is too weak.

While I have attempted to rectify these problems, there are issues with my own revised 1994 carset.
The main problem is how the game reads 'Car Failure Probability'. If I chose a value of 5000, I would assume both cars would, on the balance of it, retire from 5 races each. However, sometimes driver A retires ten times and driver B retires once. Benetton have a value of 6750. If that means Michael Schumacher retires more than Jos Verstappen that will skew the expected result. Other than that there are two minor points:
Gerhard Berger is a bit too competitive, that is deliberate, because if both Damon Hill and Michael Schumacher DNF from a race, I would want that it was Berger to claim the win, because he is the only person outside Schumacher, Hill and Mansell to actually win a race in 1994, and Mansell is not part of the carset anyway (!)
Bertrand Gachot is more likely to qualify ahead of Jean-Marc Gounon in this carset. The way I look at it, Gachot attended every grand prix of 1994, while Gounon only drove at about half of them, so... fair enough.
SimtekPacific
GP2 Newbie

Re: RE: Updated Original Carset

Post by SimtekPacific »

There is also a Part B
This re-imagines 1994 with a different driver line-up. However, ever driver here did actually drive for the team.

It produces something similar to 1996, with Damon Hill and Nigel Mansell both in the Williams car battling for the title, with Berger and Herbert (in a Benetton) sneaking the occasional win. It's interesting.
Enjoy!
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

Thanks! I'll take a look.

About Benetton failure probability, let's imagine that "Car Failure Probability" means "Ability to Get the Car to the End of a Race Whichever Reasons in Contrary Probability."
The fact is that Schumacher failed to finish the race in Adelaide, suffered a crippling failure in Barcelona and failed to finish 5 other races for no fault of the driver:
- Silverstone
- Hockenheim
- Spa
- Monza
- Estoril
Yes, it was never explained why the hell Schumacher had to overtake Hill in the warm up lap (if someone knows why, I'd like to hear). Also, his spinning in Spa was his fault. But the way the team managed the Silverstone race and all the subsequent affair, it was not exactly his fault. And the Spa spinning - gee, that is just bad luck (as far as I know!...)
So, in 6 races out of 16 the team let Schumacher down - that's not good. And that's why, as we all know, Hill was able to reach Adelaide in contention. Otherwise Schumacher would likely have walked away with it in Monza or Estoril. He would have likely won Barcelona, Silverstone, Spa and Estoril too...

I don't think the GP2 vanilla original carset ever gives Schumacher 6 out of 16 fails :D

Cheers!
Ferrim
GP2 Newbie

Post by Ferrim »

I don't think that Katayama is overrated in the original carset. He was very unlucky to score only 5 points that year. He qualified eight times in the top ten, with a best of 5th (twice). Had the better off Blundell, most of the time.

His 1994 season remains one of Japan's racing drivers finest hour in F1, to the point that Murray Walker got carried away and proclaimed him to be "the best driver that Grand Prix racing has ever produced" :) of course, he meant "the best Grand Prix racing driver Japan has ever produced", but the point stands. He was impressive that year.