unrealistic (but very funny) breakdown

Here you can present your WIP or new cars and/or stuff you made for GP2
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

unrealistic (but very funny) breakdown

Post by samsepi0l »

The other day I was racing a 100% length race at Spa, and I was doing excellent. I had been in 4th place, and my driving was very smooth that day for some reason. The transmission broke at the very bottom of the hill toward the end the lap... The car began to just roll. As I was losing speed I knew I wouldn't make it back to the pits for repair and I thought my race was over. I swayed to the edge of the track and then I was hit hard from behind by Nannini. The hit projected me forward at about 100mph, and I was now able to make it back to the pits and get repaired! I ended up fighting my way back through the field, and I finished 11th. Crazy huh?
ismael
GP2 Racer

Re: unrealistic (but very funny) breakdown

Post by ismael »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Unrealistic, but quite realistic for GP2 standards! Thanks for the share.
I don't think anything so wacky ever happened to me. The weirdest thing I can remember is not that weird. I was doing a 50% race distance in Magny-Cours with no pit stops, I was leading in the final lap when I got out of fuel, the good old Eighties fashion way. (This was during my first or second full season in GP2, I had never looked properly to the fuel in a race before that). So I dragged myself to 5th place... :lol: 8)
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

Wow- no pit stops!? I dont' think I have EVER done anything besides an even split 2 pit stop race... and usually by the end of the stint my rear is sliding because I need new tires. On some tracks I lower the tire wear to around 20,000 from the usual 25,000 is seems to be. My gp2 magic data and track settings are really tuned in to make it competitive for my style.

Your issue at France reminds me of when Prost tried to get out and push his car when he ran out of fuel in Germany 1986!
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

"when Prost tried to get out and push his car when he ran out of fuel in Germany 1986!"

:D sure, and the same with Mansell somewhere in the same era (USA?).

We should develop an option in GP2 for that. In fact, I don't know of any simracing or arcade racing videogame where one can get out of the car and push it - it would be a first! It shouldn't be that impossible; after all, we already have stewards pushing DNF cars out of track!
eky78
GP2 Gamer

Post by eky78 »

samsepi0l wrote:
29.12.2022, 19:29
The other day I was racing a 100% length race at Spa, and I was doing excellent. I had been in 4th place, and my driving was very smooth that day for some reason. The transmission broke at the very bottom of the hill toward the end the lap... The car began to just roll. As I was losing speed I knew I wouldn't make it back to the pits for repair and I thought my race was over. I swayed to the edge of the track and then I was hit hard from behind by Nannini. The hit projected me forward at about 100mph, and I was now able to make it back to the pits and get repaired! I ended up fighting my way back through the field, and I finished 11th. Crazy huh?
Not litterally the same thing but actually something similar has happened in the past...we are talking about year 1956 so quite a different era and sure different cars! (eg no wings) but still F1.

At the 1956 Italian GP, the race famous for Peter Collins´sporting gesture towards Fangio. In that same race Moss was leading when he ran out of fuel. A private entry in another Maserati (Piotti) "tucked in behind Moss and proceeded to nudge the works Maserati round the curve to the pits, where Moss was able to refuel!" (from the book: Motor-Racing´s Strangest Races by Geoff Tibballs)

Not so easy to find something about it in english in internet but there is this photo:
https://www.imago-images.de/sp/0041954810
Otherwise Wikipedia in German reports the same thing

Moss then retook the lead and won the race but it was not enough for the title.
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

haha yes, repairing a Transmission or Engine failure within 10 seconds is legendary. Today`s F1-Crew could learn from that :lol: