Fictional 2021 carset

Here you can present your WIP or new cars and/or stuff you made for GP2
ismael
GP2 Racer

Fictional 2021 carset

Post by ismael »

Hello all,

While we're waiting for the great new track refurbishments, I'd like to make a tiny contribution with this fictional 2021 carset (drivers, teams and grip ranges; no new cars graphics).

It is based on an irreal scenario based on an economic collapse due to the pandemic, adding recent driver market rumours and a speculative forceful decision of the FIA ordering low-cost customer cars for everyone, which increases the number of teams to 14. Low cost also avoided a flood of pay drivers.

Camp means "Campos" and SGP means "Stefan Grand Prix".

If you ask me that you can't have most teams running on the same engine, I'll tell you that's what happened in the early 70s, when Cosworth provided for everyone except Ferrari :wink: .

Enjoy: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R3zDV ... 0BZ_fh8y0k
narva93
GP2 Starter

Re: Fictional 2021 carset

Post by narva93 »

Seems like a good idea, specially because we would get back to the epic (real-life if it happened) 26 or 28 car grids.

But, in GP2 we've always have it. :D =D>
El seny, si no es combina amb una ferma voluntat de combat, no és res més que una mostra de covardia.
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

By now the carset is outdated! That was before Alonso's announcement at Renault. Now it doesn't seem feasible that he could set up his own team.
But there was a hint of truth regarding that Alonso Campos Racing team: https://www.camposracing.com/news-room/ ... w-f1-entry.

You said elsewhere you can understand Portuguese? I'd like to suggest a long-read from an excellent and disenchanted Brazillian F1 blogger, where he supports the idea of F1 grids with 40 cars. And he was right. https://bandeiraverde.com.br/2017/02/17 ... s-menores/
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

yes, more teams would indeed be very appreciated. :D
narva93
GP2 Starter

Post by narva93 »

ismael wrote:
17.10.2020, 13:59
By now the carset is outdated! That was before Alonso's announcement at Renault. Now it doesn't seem feasible that he could set up his own team.
But there was a hint of truth regarding that Alonso Campos Racing team: https://www.camposracing.com/news-room/ ... w-f1-entry.

You said elsewhere you can understand Portuguese? I'd like to suggest a long-read from an excellent and disenchanted Brazillian F1 blogger, where he supports the idea of F1 grids with 40 cars. And he was right. https://bandeiraverde.com.br/2017/02/17 ... s-menores/
One can change it when playing, anyways, so no problem.
El seny, si no es combina amb una ferma voluntat de combat, no és res més que una mostra de covardia.
Antonio Pessoa
GP2 Gamer

Post by Antonio Pessoa »

ismael wrote:
This guy from "bandeira verde" (green flag) blog is awesome :lol:
Few years ago I laughed a lot reading some stories about 1980s and 1990s Formula 1 and Formula 3000. He is a huge fan of the backmarkers of 1980s Formula 3000 :mrgreen:

I also miss the almost-40-cars Formula 1 of the late 1980s and early 1990s. Some backmarker teams were important to show a more human side of the F1. Teams like Onyx, EuroBrun, Coloni, Andrea Moda, or even Life gave incredible stories of tenacity, determination, failure as a important lesson, and joy when some of them succeed in qualify for a Grand Prix.

But, times changed, and since the late 1990s the professional image of Formula 1 is more important for the officials than this backmarker side of the sport.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
GP2 TrackMaker
narva93
GP2 Starter

Post by narva93 »

I can understand that 40-car grids may be too much, but at least 26, like in 1995? [-o<
narva93
GP2 Starter

Post by narva93 »

And by the way, the ROT STIER thing was awesome. :D
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

narva93 wrote:
21.10.2020, 23:05
And by the way, the ROT STIER thing was awesome. :D
Thanks. Honestly, I think Red Bull having a "C team" or third team is way more conceivable or reasonable than Alonso setting up a team of Stefan Grand Prix coming for real :lol:
Antonio Pessoa wrote:
18.10.2020, 01:41
This guy from "bandeira verde" (green flag) blog is awesome
Incredible, amazing reads. I like long reads, of course, so I'm suspicious about it. He's not only passionate about the sport (well, not today, for sad reasons everyone can understand) but he's also an excellent writer.
He made me think how the 2010 backmarkers were way better than the 1980's, regarding professionalism and efficiency. But it's too much money needed now. I can accept that the sport blocks the entry to dubious people like Andrea Sassetti, but the sport is not sustainable for smaller teams and that's sad from a sporting point of view, and for the show also. The need for smaller, sustainable teams is another of the arguments that "Bandeira Verde" develops.
narva93
GP2 Starter

Post by narva93 »

By the way, I like that you used the old Sauber livery for them. Later I will upload the complete list of tracks whom which I did race the 2020 season in GP2 AND will likely use for 2020 too.

And yes, the bandeira verde guy really knows about what he talks.

Now that you say it, 40 cars is not that unrealistic if Indy 500 has 33.

Also, Onyx achieved podiums and finished often. Not sure if I will qualify it into a reject.
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

narva93 wrote:
29.10.2020, 09:35
By the way, I like that you used the old Sauber livery for them.
Thanks. Petronas wouldn't make sense in a today's Red Bull third team, but the Red Bull sponsoring was prominent and the car was blue-ish, so it made sense. That car got a podium with Johny Herbert :D
narva93 wrote:
29.10.2020, 09:35
40 cars is not that unrealistic if Indy 500 has 33.

Also, Onyx achieved podiums and finished often. Not sure if I will qualify it into a reject.
The Bandeira Verde idea looks unreal from an economic perspective, but that's because of how the F1 business model evolved. And from a sporting perspective, it would be great. Old guard guys like us dream about the "cabalistic number of 26" (it's a Bandeira Verde expression) but why should we limit? I can imagine a race with 30 cars or more than that, and with points up to 15th or 20th. There are stewards, hooks in the ground to lift the cars, there are VSC and SC if all those drivers crash at some point. I can imagine a qualifying leaving the slowest out of the race, as long as that didn't hurt the teams economically. Even now, if Hamilton and Bottas had to lap 20 cars instead of 10, it would be cooler to watch. Lapping cars is an important part of the fun in GP2 ;-) Monaco doesn't fit 36 cars? Create a special rule, like Monaco had before. What's the problem? And maybe more traffic in Monaco could help turn the race more unpredictable. Above all, maybe we could watch all the sponsor-less talent that goes to Indy, sports cars and FE.

Onyx is a wonderful story, between achievement, mischievousness and passion for the sport. I'm not expecting that a stable, sustainable perennial backmarker would achieve podiums today. From 2000 onwards, mechanical failures all but disappeared. F1 became more like a videogame, actually (you wouldn't watch a race with 6 or 8 finishers in GP2). And that's good, that part of the sport evolution, people trying to make it better and better. But when the late Bianchi score a 9th in Monaco, the team celebrated and the fans celebrated because it was a huge achievement. Just like Onyx and Larrousse podiums; yeah, those teams achieved something with limited resources.

And we would welcome permanent backmarkers. For drivers to be able to compete and fight for a higher place, for us to see more of the best drivers in the world. No one expects Alavés to win La Liga or Goiás to win the Brasileirão, but they and the other backmarkers have to be there. And once in a decade an Alpha Tauri wins the Premier League and it's awesome.
Nimrod1111
GP2 Newbie

Post by Nimrod1111 »

Antonio Pessoa wrote:
18.10.2020, 01:41
ismael wrote:
This guy from "bandeira verde" (green flag) blog is awesome :lol:
Few years ago I laughed a lot reading some stories about 1980s and 1990s Formula 1 and Formula 3000. He is a huge fan of the backmarkers of 1980s Formula 3000 :mrgreen:

I also miss the almost-40-cars Formula 1 of the late 1980s and early 1990s. Some backmarker teams were important to show a more human side of the F1. Teams like Onyx, EuroBrun, Coloni, Andrea Moda, or even Life gave incredible stories of tenacity, determination, failure as a important lesson, and joy when some of them succeed in qualify for a Grand Prix.

But, times changed, and since the late 1990s the professional image of Formula 1 is more important for the officials than this backmarker side of the sport.
You miss the so called rejects. :mrgreen: And the site Grand prix rejects, heir of the legendary f1rejects.com, is back online (marvellous news).
narva93
GP2 Starter

Post by narva93 »

Hahahaha nice :D I remember seeing it when little :P

on the other hand, not all of the teams included there were exactly rejects. :lol: