GP2 Overlay - Rotating steering wheels and more

Here you can present your WIP or new cars and/or stuff you made for GP2
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Re: GP2 Overlay - Rotating steering wheels and more

Post by rremedio »

Yeah, there is a config file where you set the drs zones (each one consisting of the check point where it checks if the car is 1s or less from the car ahead, the point where drs can be activated and the point where it must be deactivated) and you can have multiple zones for each track.

I've been really busy lately so I haven't get any closer to releasing it. Hopefully, I will have more time by the end of the month.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
AAS
GP2 Star

Post by AAS »

wow, great stuff =D>
Philip00
GP2 Newbie

Post by Philip00 »

rremedio wrote:
16.06.2019, 21:44
Yeah, there is a config file where you set the drs zones (each one consisting of the check point where it checks if the car is 1s or less from the car ahead, the point where drs can be activated and the point where it must be deactivated) and you can have multiple zones for each track.

I've been really busy lately so I haven't get any closer to releasing it. Hopefully, I will have more time by the end of the month.
Hey Rremedio,

I just wondering if you were able to finish the DRS stuff, it sounds amaizing and I got very excited about that.

Thanks in advance,

Philip
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Philip00 wrote:
25.06.2020, 16:09
rremedio wrote:

Hey Rremedio,

I just wondering if you were able to finish the DRS stuff, it sounds amaizing and I got very excited about that.

Thanks in advance,

Philip
Yes, it is basically finished. KERS needs more work since rulings and button capturing (for activation/deactivation) have been a bit iffy (sometimes they work as intended, sometimes not).

But the main problem, that prevents me from releasing it, is that the main program which allows you to use all the features, including DSR, is not ready for being used in other computers. It has some weird requirements, like some "exoteric" steps to get it working (open the program, do something, then open gp2, do something, then come back to the program, so something else, etc). And installation would probably be a pain by itself. So there is still a lot of work to get it in a state in which it can be distributed. And being realistic, I have no idea about when I'll be able to finish it.

On the plus side, a few new features have been slowly added. The coolest one is a kind of pseudo-online play (not real multiplayer but a sort of synchronization between multiple people playing at the same time.

The priority task now is to create a system that allows people to customize the dynamic cockpit and tv overlays easily because depending on how that system is built, I will be able to define the structure needed for creating a shareable .exe.
Early 90s F1 forever!
Philip00
GP2 Newbie

Post by Philip00 »

rremedio wrote:
25.06.2020, 16:43
Philip00 wrote:
25.06.2020, 16:09
rremedio wrote:

Hey Rremedio,

Thanks in advance,

Philip
Yes, it is basically finished. KERS needs more work since rulings and button capturing (for activation/deactivation) have been a bit iffy (sometimes they work as intended, sometimes not).

But the main problem, that prevents me from releasing it, is that the main program which allows you to use all the features, including DSR, is not ready for being used in other computers. It has some weird requirements, like some "exoteric" steps to get it working (open the program, do something, then open gp2, do something, then come back to the program, so something else, etc). And installation would probably be a pain by itself. So there is still a lot of work to get it in a state in which it can be distributed. And being realistic, I have no idea about when I'll be able to finish it.

On the plus side, a few new features have been slowly added. The coolest one is a kind of pseudo-online play (not real multiplayer but a sort of synchronization between multiple people playing at the same time.

The priority task now is to create a system that allows people to customize the dynamic cockpit and tv overlays easily because depending on how that system is built, I will be able to define the structure needed for creating a shareable .exe.
Woow maan sounds awesome!

Let me know if I can help you.

Do you think in the future multiple tyre compound will be possible in gp2?

How crazy that old game still develops by fanatic users, and actually I much more enjoy this game than any other one.
iKeysRacing
GP2 Newbie

Post by iKeysRacing »

rremedio wrote:
16.05.2019, 16:30
This is a very old project. I haven't updated it in the past 1-2 years because my initial idea of hacking DosBOX opengl or directx calls to put graphics in the game wasn't working very well. But recently I learned how to create an overlay window attached to a program and decided to give it a shot (requires DosBOX, windowed mode for now).

For now, it only displays a steering wheel in cockpit mode and some info (car number, position, best lap, last lap) in external view mode. I still have to copy the auto-DRS code from the old version to this one (it adds DRS to the game, but it has automatic activation/deactivation). I was also experimenting with a few other things in the older version like replacing GP2 way to generate car failures with a better one, as well as the same thing for pit stop strategies calculation (less random, more parameters to chose).

The wheel should be bigger and it has an ugly white outline, but that's just a test.

Idk when this will be ready for release, I need to organize a roadmap because there are many possible features and I'm kinda just doing random stuff for now.

Check ou the video
Ciao rrmedio, STUNNING!!!
Congrats because it is something incredible given how old is GP2, you master it!!!
Just in case you should find a way to solve my old-mind-bug about activating all 40 cars at the start of the race I PROMISE I will give you money straight!
Congratulations again, beautiful work!!
Marco
Marco Lazzari
Youtube: iKeysRacing
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Thanks!

Adding more cars to the race would require extensive changes to the game loop. We would need an Intel 16bits assembly expert and those are very rare nowadays (and way beyond anything I can do).
Early 90s F1 forever!
iKeysRacing
GP2 Newbie

Post by iKeysRacing »

rremedio wrote:
24.03.2021, 15:28
Thanks!

Adding more cars to the race would require extensive changes to the game loop. We would need an Intel 16bits assembly expert and those are very rare nowadays (and way beyond anything I can do).
Ciao rremedio, sure, it is so old that maybe even Mr. Crammond should scratch a bit his head on this matter.
I'm still purchasing on the web many cd/programs to complete my physical collection of old goodies related to GP2 and especially looking for that damn editor capable of affecting that parameter of 40 cars.
In case I'll find it...it will become shared immediately.
But thanks for the tip on "assembly" program, I do not excude to start learning it a bit to do exactly this single task that steals me sleeping hours.
Cheers.
Marco
Marco Lazzari
Youtube: iKeysRacing