The new points-system

Here you can post everything to every motorsport!
MaxX
GP2 Star

The new points-system

Post by MaxX »

I suppose you all mentioned it right away :http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 10279.html

Well, what`s your mind upon this? I remember we had a discussion about this some time ago ;)

On one hand it is good that a victory is worth more points again, but on the other hand it is pretty ridicolous that a driver might have more points after 4 races than this years champion.... If they want to have a CART-style points system, why didn`t they simply take it? The first 12 get points and bonus for FL and Pole.

Personally I doubt that we have more thrilling championships, the problem is that the races are won in the pits and not the pointssystem. If it works good and fullfills its purpose, than it was the right decission and after some time we all get familiar with it, let`s see.

The best point out of this, is when you have the accelerated time mode in GP2 running you see only the drivers in the points :lol:
TdK
GP2 Pro

Re: The new points-system

Post by TdK »

MäxX wrote:On one hand it is good that a victory is worth more points again, but on the other hand it is pretty ridicolous that a driver might have more points after 4 races than this years champion....
That was the first thing i tought about too, and what to think about drivers statistics, you now never can judge drivers on scored points in his career, but that isn't to important.
MäxX wrote:Personally I doubt that we have more thrilling championships, the problem is that the races are won in the pits and not the pointssystem.
Don't forget we don't have fuel stops next year. Only tyre stops, but those are done in 3 or 4 seconds, so they won't be deciding for a race result.
MäxX wrote:The best point out of this, is when you have the accelerated time mode in GP2 running you see only the drivers in the points.
That's true, but there is an other thing i'm worried about, we can't run no-fuelstop races in Gp2.... :( You always need to make 1 stop, at least, the cc's need to.... :|
TdK - (re)tired GrandPrix 2 manic!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I guess tha main point is that money division rule (teams which get into the points along the season are granted a proportional prize at the end of the year). The proportion between the points for the top finishers didn't change that much.
TdK wrote:
MäxX wrote:The best point out of this, is when you have the accelerated time mode in GP2 running you see only the drivers in the points.
That's true, but there is an other thing i'm worried about, we can't run no-fuelstop races in Gp2.... :( You always need to make 1 stop, at least, the cc's need to.... :|
There's a solution, I've been working on it for a while. I've already sorted the "GP2 side" of what I have to do and I'm sure it will work perfectly, but I'm having a hard time on the "programming side". It's still a long way to go, but hopefully it will be ready before the season start. :yes:
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
jakesanson
GP2 Acc

Post by jakesanson »

In a way I like it, but what was wrong with the old 10-6-4-3-2-1?

If there was going to be a new points system, 25-18-14-10-8-6-4-3-2-1 seems better.
Find me on @jakesansonofficial or www.jakesanson.com
Voice of the FIA Karting World and European Championships, IAME Euro & Asia Series, and more.

Commentated at the British Grand Prix for Formula 1 in 2019 and the Le Mans 24 Hours for ACO in 2016. Yep, I can't believe it either.....

Come and play the RRML using Grand Prix 2 via Downforce Racing YouTube channel!
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

For me, it doesn't solve the main problem with the current points system, which is that the gap between first & second and second & third is still equal. There's no incentive for going out and winning races. Like Jake I saw no problem with the 10-6-4-3-2-1 system.

I know the idea is so that the title race goes on as long as possible so there's TV interest but surely TV viewers are more interested in seeing drivers going all-out for wins? I know I'd rather watch that. It pains me to hear of drivers in any series talking about "driving for the championship". I just want to see them pushing for wins, or at least putting in an effort to pass on-track. I don't want to see a load of cars going round in circles waiting for someone in front to make an error, because it's "too risky for the championship" to try to pass. Surely if you win enough races, the title will take care of itself...
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
HF
GP2 Star

Post by HF »

Well, I agree to some apects mentioned abouve. My favourite would be a system like 12 10 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 :-"
- . -
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

First of all, I completely agree with the motivation to give more drivers / teams a chance to score points in a race. There's an obvious financial dimension to that, I think, that shouldn't be ignored, because the more teams score for the constructors' championship,...

Dishing out so many points for the top three places certainly is an interesting choice. It's already been pointed out that the gap between first, second and third, expressed as percentages, are still what they were under the old 10-8-6 gaps, however, numerically, there are five points, or ten points difference between third and first now, so I would argue there is an incentive to overtake someone for second or first that could be perceived as larger now than before, because I doubt drivers in the cockpit will rationalise that the scale has simply been broadened, they will think "I'll score five more points if I overtake this guy." So, while we obviously still have to wait and see how this is going to work, for now, I'm willing to believe this could actually play out well.
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
MaxD
GP2 Starter

Post by MaxD »

Dya know what, I think what would be good is this...

1st - 25 pts
2nd - 15
3rd - 12
4th - 8
5th - 6
6th - 5
7th - 4
8th - 3
9th - 2
10th - 1
*bonus 1 point to Fastest lap
**bonus 2 points to driver with most overtaking.

Now, as you can see, with a 10 point difference between first and second place and 13 points between first and third, I think the days of drivers driving to collect points would be few and far between...
Would Lewis go easy for 15 points and 2ndplace? Or would he try to go all out for those valuable extra 10 points?
Now also, by giving 2 points instead of 1 for overtaking, that alone would prompt more drivers without race winning cars maybe to concentrate more on their race set up and give themselves a lower than usual grid slot and then ggain 2 points by passing. Then we as fans would see passing!

just my thoughts...

Can I just add as an aside that my typing is actually good but this keyboard is shite!
](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
"There's nothing wrong with the car in front except that it's on fire!!!!!!!!!!!"
Murray Walker
jakesanson
GP2 Acc

Post by jakesanson »

I quite like that. In IndyCars, I don't know if they still do it or not, but they have the "Hard Charger" award which I believe is given to this who fight the hardest. Maybe this is something we should have in Formula 1. If this is the pinnacle of the sport, drivers should be rewarded for their efforts to entertain and actually race.

A point for pole position could also be good.
Find me on @jakesansonofficial or www.jakesanson.com
Voice of the FIA Karting World and European Championships, IAME Euro & Asia Series, and more.

Commentated at the British Grand Prix for Formula 1 in 2019 and the Le Mans 24 Hours for ACO in 2016. Yep, I can't believe it either.....

Come and play the RRML using Grand Prix 2 via Downforce Racing YouTube channel!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

What I think is bad is the fact they will probably change it again in few years, and then again...they change every regulation all the time. I think is positive when they try something in the cars to improve racing, but do they have to change the point system and the qualifying format everytime?
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

rremedio wrote:What I think is bad is the fact they will probably change it again in few years, and then again...they change every regulation all the time. I think is positive when they try something in the cars to improve racing, but do they have to change the point system and the qualifying format everytime?
This is a very good point! OK, so certain regulations have to change in the name of safety, but several of the changes in the past few years seem to have been made for the sake of it or (sorry to drag this up) to suit Ferrari.
Personally I loved the "no tyre stops" rule of 2005, I thought it made races much more interesting (although Kimi Raikkonen would probably disagree) and the one-by-one qualifying was good too as it shook the order up at times. Plus we got to see Minardi top the timesheets back in 2003 :D As Mike Gascoyne pointed out, you're not going to get any overtaking if the qualifying system ensures that the fastest cars are always at the front...
It does seem at times as though the FIA fiddles too much with the rules in the vain hope of finding something that works, rather than sitting back and actually taking the time to think of something that will definitely work. Personally I never really understood why Max Mosley decided he was going to make the rules for F1. Surely being the president, he should have delegates to do that for him? I don't remember seeing him sticking his nose into touring cars or sportscars or the WRC very much. Hopefully with a new president (even if it is Jean Todt) we won't get so much of this fiddling around.
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
Peze
GP2 Gamer

Post by Peze »

I would go for 9-6-4-3-2-1. That wouldn't be good for the new teams though:)