Best tools for creating cars

Here you can post criticisms, ideas or questions to the forum!
pavloslepaul
GP2 Newbie

Best tools for creating cars

Post by pavloslepaul »

Hello,

I played in GP2 for many years, but I wanted to start creating some cars or even carsets (maybe only for my own if would to be to poor), but I really wanted to know what is the best tools other than old paint from Windows XP. Most of known tools for me like i.e. gimp did not proper save bmp file to be fully readable by gp2edit.
MaxX
GP2 Star

Re: Best tools for creating cars

Post by MaxX »

Hi,

gimp and paint.net are very good free alternatives. Personally I use an ancient Paintshop Pro (got the license long time before Corel bought JASC) when making GP2-stuff. It is easy to handle and also has advanced stuff, which make life easier. I like to have good options but no overwhelming experience.

The most recent PSP version might be overwhelming as well, many features added. I got version 20 but never used it for GP2 patching, also due to not having it installed in the virtual machine where my xp and GP2 run
pavloslepaul
GP2 Newbie

Post by pavloslepaul »

Thanks for response,

Well I install paint.net but despite that gp2edit cannot open any bmp files I created/modifed there. Is it directly related to virtual machine as you mentioned or it would be simply fixed with using specific add-on or older version like in classical windows paint? I never used virtual machine earlier, so it makes me uncertain that it would be worth to create such specific thing to mostly creating skins?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I edit my car livery files in gimp.

Then I open a gp2 bmp file (exported from GP2Edit) in the old mspaint from WinXP (if you don't have it, it is easy to find on google). Then I go back to gimp and select all and copy the edited file and then paste it over the gp2 bmp on mspaint and save it. Now it will work correctly on GP2.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
pavloslepaul
GP2 Newbie

Post by pavloslepaul »

Thanks a lot,

I feel a bit ashamed that solution is so easy :shock:

Okay, thanks a lot, I try to be active in community and maybe even trying to posting something.
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

I found there is a very useful graphic editor called USENTI that is very helpful for using 8bit bitmaps and images in games such as grand prix 2. I also use this in modifying graphics for indycar racing 2.