My GP2/GP3 Tools are now open source

Here you can post criticisms, ideas or questions to the forum!
paulhoad
GP2 Newbie

My GP2/GP3 Tools are now open source

Post by paulhoad »

Its been some time since I did anything in this community, You all done an amazing job to keep these games alive, I love seeing all your car images and track screenshots. I very rarely get to play the GP games, but I'm in awe of your enthusiasm, dedication, commitment and the things you produce.

Having realized I hadn't worked on any of my tools in almost 2 decades (I had kids etc..). I decided that probably the time was right to "Open Source" them.

This proved to be much harder than I expected after I realized that I didn't actually have a copy of the source code any more. After several days of panic that perhaps it was lost forever, I've been back through some old hard-drives and eventually found "some" versions enough to build them.

You need to remember this was C++ and MFC from the late 1990's to 2000's, of course it didn't build with a modern compiler as it was last built with Visual Studio 6.0 (This isn't my finest code I must admit, I'm 22+ years older than when I started this stuff) I've managed to rebuild using Visual Studio 2017/19 (you should be able to use the free community editions).

For nearly all the tools I've been unable to find the very latest version, so you might find the tools are less capable than the online binaries (the GP3 car editor is missing some things from the tree).
(I'm sorry, I'm still hunting to see if I have a copy of that source code, but I'm afraid 25 year old hard drives don't really like to even spin up, there is a lesson for all of us!)

Effective immediately you can find GP2 CarEditor, GP3 CarEditor and GP2 Object Editor available on github.com

https://github.com/paulhoad/gp2careditor
https://github.com/paulhoad/gp3careditor
https://github.com/paulhoad/gp2objecteditor

I do have the source for at least A version of the GP3 TrackEditor and GP2 TrackEditor (not the latest for either but close enough) and I will upload them when I've got them building in Visual Studio.

I will remove all the "register" stuff, and I intend for them all to have an MIT license.

I don't yet know what level of support I'll have for them, for now fork the repo then I'll see depending on the level of interest.

But the most important thing for me what that this source wasn't lost forever, and I felt maybe at this time with everyone "self isolating" this might give people something creative to think about..

I have some other tools which I will consider uploading (GrandPrix Legends Editor,TOCAEditror) which I could consider uploading if there is interest from the wider community.

Enjoy

Your fan..

Paul Hoad
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Re: My GP2/GP3 Tools are now open source

Post by rremedio »

WOW! :shock:

Welcome, Paul! It is great to hear from you! I'm a big fan and I've been using your tools since I was barely an adult :mrgreen:

These are great news! I'm very bad with C++ but there are a few things I'd like to fix/change in the Track Editor and Car Editor and I'll be giving them a shot. It is very nice that we can build them with VS 2017.

Thank you very much for taking your time hunting and sharing those old sources with us. =D> =D> =D>
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I was able to build GP2 Car Editor in the second try (just needed to fix the Windows SDK target number). That's very nice!

The project structure is much bigger than I expected because I'm used with Windows Forms but I think I'm beginning to get a grip on how the interface programming works.
Early 90s F1 forever!
paulhoad
GP2 Newbie

Post by paulhoad »

I have now released the source the GP2 Track Editor

https://github.com/paulhoad/gp2trackeditor
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Great! =D> =D> =D>

Thank you very much! I always wish that underlay bitmaps would be displayed in higher quality/resolution. I hope I manage to implement that.

ps.: your posts shouldn't require approval anymore from the forum when you post them.
Early 90s F1 forever!
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

It is a very great news Paul Hoad! Thank you vey much for this. It is always a very big enjoyment to improve GP2 with your editors!
rremedio wrote:
21.03.2020, 15:44
Great! =D> =D> =D>

Thank you very much! I always wish that underlay bitmaps would be displayed in higher quality/resolution. I hope I manage to implement that.

ps.: your posts shouldn't require approval anymore from the forum when you post them.
Hi Roberto! For example Do you think it would be possible to assign any different tyre wear in the pit strategy menu?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Michael82 wrote:
21.03.2020, 16:28
Hi Roberto! For example Do you think it would be possible to assign any different tyre wear in the pit strategy menu?
No. The track dependant tyre wear affects only the player and the game will read only the value stored in the Track Name (GP2Info) panel if you use GP2Lap. Otherwise, you need to change it in the Magic Data. The other tyre wear value, which affects both ccs and the players, are the ones related to each tyre type and the only way to change them is by using the Slots and Tyre Editor. The game will always use one tyre type for all cars in a track (the one you can pick in the CC Setup panel in the Track Editor), changing that would require an update to GP2Lap if it is able to provide a table of tyre types for each car or each strategy.
Early 90s F1 forever!
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

Thank you for your answer!
What about car editor? Do you think it would be easier to find the map of Texture Data( and the shadow configuration) with the source code of the car editor?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Michael82 wrote:
22.03.2020, 15:17
Thank you for your answer!
What about car editor? Do you think it would be easier to find the map of Texture Data( and the shadow configuration) with the source code of the car editor?
I don't think so, given the way the car editor loads the textures, but I'm not sure. But it could have functionality that replaces having to hex edit car shapes to change texture indexes like we've been doing for some cars.
Early 90s F1 forever!
GP2Lap
GP2 Newbie

Post by GP2Lap »

Hello Paul,

Thanks for sharing!
René Smit, Independent Software Developer.
Download GP2Lap here.
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Awesome, thank you very much. I am sure it will help our active modders =D>
F1GParchive
GP2 Newbie

Post by F1GParchive »

Paul, thanks for sharing the source code of your tools.
This will help the F1GP community, as well.
iKeysRacing
GP2 Newbie

Post by iKeysRacing »

Wow Mr. Pul Hoad!
It's an honour to read about you and these incredible gifts you let for this community!
Such a huge thing!
I've been using your tools for...25 years straight even if I'm not an editor or even a programmer.
But thanks to your work I've been capable to give breath to this games for years and years.
So thank you very much for what you have done here but also for all you have done back then.
Best wishes!!
Marco
Marco Lazzari
Youtube: iKeysRacing