Driving career - Alfonso de Vinuesa - S4- 1991

Here you can post criticisms, ideas or questions to the forum!
Aerond
GP2 Starter

Driving career - Alfonso de Vinuesa - S4- 1991

Post by Aerond »

I'm doing a Grand Prix 2 career spanning from the end of the 80's until the mid 90's; incarnating Alfonso de Vinuesa; unlucky Spanish driver that suffered a big accident in F3000 in 1987 and never recovered properly after. Trying to be very accurate regarding how each car performs. For the 1988 season I tweaked the carsets to reflect the averages more accurately and now from 1989 carsets are tweaked on a race by race basis taking into account real life data and performance from each race. I'm driving with wheel and pedals and magic data is also adjusted so drivers get close lap times to what they achieved in reality.

Already in the 2nd season, In 1988 I raced for Eurobrun, partnering Stefano Modena. It was a very up and down season, with some times that I could not pre-qualify the car, while at others, specially slow circuits, it was really good; I got a pole position in Detroit, and came home 3rd in the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Here's the final standings:

For 1989, I've signed for the Brabham team. Stefano Modena stayed at Eurobrun after receiving no interest from other teams.

1989 FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP ENTRY LIST

Honda Marlboro Mclaren
Chassis: MP4/5
Engine: Honda RA109E V10

#1 Alain Prost
#2 Ayrton Senna

Tyrrell Racing Organisation
Chassis: 017B
Engine: Ford Cosworth DFR V8

#3 Jonathan Palmer
#4 Michele Alboreto

Canon Williams Team
Chassis: FW12C
Engine: Renault RS1 V10

#5 Thierry Boutsen
#6 Riccardo Patrese

Motor Racing Developments
Chassis: BT58
Engine: Judd EV V8

#7 Martin Brundle
#8 Alfonso de Vinuesa

Arrows Grand Prix International
Chassis: A11

#9 Derek Warwick
#10 Eddie Cheever

Camel Team Lotus
Chassis: 101
Engine: Honda RA109E V10

#11 Nelson Piquet
#12 Satoru Nakajima

Leyton House March Racing Team
Chassis: 881
Engine: Judd CV V8

#15 Mauricio Gugelmin
#16 Ivan Capelli

Osella Squadra Corse
Chassis: FA1M

#17 Nicola Larini
#18 Piercarlo Ghinzani

Benetton Formula Ltd
Chassis: B188

#19 Alessandro Nannini
#20 Johnny Herbert

BMS Scuderia Italia
Chassis: F189

#21 Alex Caffi
#22 Andrea de Cesaris

Lois Minardi Team
Chassis: M188B

#23 Pierluigi Martini
#24 Luis Perez-Sala

Ligier Loto
Chassis: JS33

#25 René Arnoux
#26 Olivier Grouillard

Scuderia Ferrari SpA SEFAC
Chassis: 640
Engine: Ferrari 035/5 V12

#27 Nigel Mansell
#28 Gerhard Berger

Equipe Larrousse
Chassis: LC88B
Engine: Lamborghini 3512 V12

#29 Yannick Dalmas
#30 Philippe Alliot

Coloni SpA
Chassis: FC188B

#31 Roberto Moreno
#32 Pierre-Henri Raphanel

Eurobrun Racing
Chassis: ER188B
Engine: Judd CV V8

#33 Stefano Modena
#34 Gregor Foitek

West Zakspeed Racing
Chassis: 891
Engine: Yamaha OX88 V8

#35 Bernd Schneider
#36 Aguri Suzuki

Moneytron Onyx Formula One
Chassis: ORE-1

#37 Stefan Johansson
#38 Bertrand Gachot

Rial Racing
Chassis: ARC2

#39 Christian Danner
#40 Joachim Winkelhock

Automobiles Gonfaronnaises Sportives
Chassis: JH23B

#40 Philippe Streiff
#41 Julian Bailey
Last edited by Aerond on 25.02.2024, 23:00, edited 4 times in total.
Aerond
GP2 Starter

Re: Driving career - Alfonso de Vinuesa - Season 2!

Post by Aerond »

1989 - ROUND ONE - BRAZILIAN GRAND PRIX
Philippe Streiff suffers career ending accident, AGS withdraws from the Brazilian GP

Just a mere 48 hours before the first pre-qualifying session of the season, french driver suffered an accident during pre-season testing at the Jacarepaguá circuit in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Unfortunately, the driver has become paralized as a result of the shunt (...) The small french outfit AGS announced they will not field their cars at the first race of the season. The team plans to re-appear at the second race of the season in San Marino. No news as to who'll be partnering Julian Bailey have been announced as of yet

Story of the race:
I did a good start and kept 5th place into the first corner. On lap 4 Alain Prost catched up with me and I decided to let him go as it was pointless trying to hold the McLaren too much. I kept for a while at a decent distance, matching his pace running between 2 and 3.5 seconds behind, but on lap 14 I lost drive in the back straight and that was it. On the front, Senna was leading but developed a problem late in the race, dropping to 2nd. His newer tyres allowed him to pass Patrese again for the win though. There was a tremendous 4 way battle between Prost, the Benettons and Berger for 4th place in the 2nd half of the race which was entertaining to watch. Prost could keep 4th place thanks to the superiority of the Honda engine.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LnTrtD ... el=D.I.G.
Aerond
GP2 Starter

Post by Aerond »

Race probably tomorrow
Aerond
GP2 Starter

Post by Aerond »

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svvEifQuBJM

Story of the race: I did a bad start and this was the beginning of all my problems as somebody collided with me and damaged my rear wing on lap one. I pitted for a repair and then Nakajima, who also damaged his car was coming faster and I let him past, but we were badly held up by Ghinzani and I ended up losing my front wing on lap 10 when Nakajima swerved in front of me. Then on Lap 17 I suffered an electrical problem and I had to do yet another stop ... and another one after Herbert swerved in front of me badly ... and another one after I ran over a kerb and damaged the car. In the final two laps I got to pass Herbert and Alboreto for a top 10 finish. The top 6 were pretty fast so in the end only missed two places i think, even if Piquet spun at the beginning of the race.
At the front, Prost also spun and this gifted the win to Senna, even if he suffered a problem and needed an extra stop near the end.
Aerond
GP2 Starter

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: Got tipped over by Nannini at Ste. Devote, with the gift of rear wing damage as well; had to pit; on lap 8 when I was making ground to the cars ahead suffered an oil leak.
Senna dominated the race with Patrese following closely. Unluckily, he retired, same as Prost earlier. That left Brundle in the run for 3rd, but it ended in massive heartbreak as his Brabham expired two laps to the end.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgtdGfnvSUE
Aerond
GP2 Starter

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: I did a great start and placed 5th after the 1st corner. One of the Williams opened the door at the hairpin and I went for the gap but the Williams driver turned in and I spun. That put me down to 19th place and from there on I started to work my way up. By the stops I was running in 5th place (helped by some retirements as well as having a good pace) and was running ahead of Nannini, then 4th after Capelli retired from 2nd place ... until I suffered a rear left puncture on Lap 42, and that put my race to an end. Another bunch of points that evaporated on reliability. At the front, Senna won easily once Prost retired and has a perfect score card so far. Also, first points for Tyrrell and good performance from Nannini, passing both Nakajima and Alboreto in the final few laps to score 3 points.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/live/RCasKjmug6g?feature=share
Aerond
GP2 Starter

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: After a great qualifying, both Prost and Nannini made a better start and I was down to 4th by first corner. However, after a few laps I saw I could go for Nannini and passed for 3rd. Piquet behind passed the Benetton as well and started to follow close. I was at ease but around lap 15 tyres started to fade and Piquet catched easily. From then on I had to worry about keeping both Piquet and Berger behind. I was managing everything rather successfully when on lap 25 I suffered a water leak and that was it really. Another retirement from a great position. Brundle also suffered a failure when running on the points, so Brabham was left without points once again... and then pre-qualifying reshuffle is happening in just 3 races time.
Ahead, traffic decided the race as Senna did a better job lapping cars during the 2nd stint, this allowed him to get close enough to Prost and pass for a win.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/live/UF6pYT-hCIQ?feature=share
Aerond
GP2 Starter

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: My race was as miserable as the weather. No pace at all in the wet, so I spent the whole race at the back and struggling for pace, the only novelty being the car actually made the distance this time... just, because it broke down on the cool down lap, so it wouldn't have mattered if I had been running at the front anyway.
At the front, Williams stole the show, with Boutsen dominating the race until heartbreak happened just a couple laps from the end ... but Patrese was there to cover for it and claim the first non Senna win of the year. De Cesaris also claimed first point ever for Dallara

Stream: https://youtube.com/live/m5WEyBYvtwE
Aerond
GP2 Starter

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: I didn't have a good getaway and was boxed on the outside of T1, losing many places down to P13; I spent the first few laps getting into a good pace and then start to make up places overtaking a few cars and benefitting from a few retirements, going all the way up to P4 by lap 40. Unfortunately it wasn't to go anywhere beyond that because then the engine failed and that was it. Ahead, both McLarens and Mansell retired, giving way for Nakajima to pick up the pieces and score his first ever win and first win for Japan ever! Good points for Capelli and also one point from Alesi in his F1 debut, climbing all the way from 21st on the grid.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/live/j1vtH0IHNss?feature=share
Aerond
GP2 Starter

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: Did a good start then I divebombed hard into turn one jumping up to 7th. Somewhat decent pace plus some retirements and was running 5th by lap 20, when I made a mistake at Stowe and clipped the wall. I pitted for a new front wing and got back into the points after everyone did their pit stops but I suffered an electrical problem. Luckily it was fixable and I came back in 8th place, which turned 7th after I passed Warwick. Then I had a gap of around 20 seconds to Capelli for the final point, I started catching up and was running 3 seconds behind with two laps to go when Prost retired; then Capelli had some problems and climbed into 5th place, getting the first points of the season for Brabham! Not enough to come out of pre-qualifying but happy to finish the race in the points.

Ahead it was a three way battle between Piquet, Prost and Senna but Prost retired and Senna needed an extra pitstop so Piquet took the win comfortably; second in a row for Lotus!

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/live/SUdnWgk7_rQ?feature=share
Aerond
GP2 Starter

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: Pretty lonely race given the gaps between the Judd engine and those engines of the top teams. I did a bad start and that kept me well entertained for the first few laps catching up with Brundle and then passing him and building enough of a small gap to Gugelmin not to be worried about him. Then both of them retired and ahead all the cars were too far so my race basically consisted in keeping my 9th place and waiting. The car anyways expired but wouldn't have capitalised on anything since both McLaren, Williams, Lotus and Benetton cars finished.
Ahead Senna had a relatively calm win after Prost spun early in the race and later Piquet ran into problems, so no real competition.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/live/eMt19qepBUg?feature=share
Aerond
GP2 Starter

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: Fantastic qualifying with a 3rd place, which I kept at the start of the race as Boutsen passed me and Caffi like a rocketship. Then I clearly couldn't keep the pace of the Williams with the new tyres and began to drop quickly, with a big train of cars forming behind, but on lap 15 the gap stabilized Then, all of a sudden, both Williams retired within a couple laps of each other and I found myself leading the Grand Prix!
This would last for 20 laps until my pitstop on lap 38, which was a bit slow, so I dropped behind Nannini. Again, on new tyres the Benetton driver opened a gap but then after a few laps I started to reduce it and was riding comfortably when the car slid a bit on turn 4 and I ended on the gravel trap, luckily without consequences but now 9th. I gained a few places thanks to some retirements and was chasing Caffi when the transmission broke, so a good chunk of points was again lost.
Satoru Nakajima took advantage of all the retirements from the lead and won his 2nd race of the season! The strangest of podiums was completed with Eddie Cheever, getting his first points of the season, and Pierluigi Martini, who scored first ever points for Minardi in style!
The McLaren drivers took the weekend off and only Prost could close the gap a bit in the classification to Piquet, Boutsen and Patrese.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/live/o_Oz2Au2bMM?feature=share
Aerond
GP2 Starter

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: My race was really short. Did a very good start but I set my car for the wet so I was slow in the straights. At the kemmel straight Gugelmin pushed me off to the grass and in the wet naturally my car spun, Pirro collected my rear front wheel. Somehow I kept the car moving forward but spun later and Modena collected me this time, taking the other right wheel and that was it. The rest of the race was total chaos in the wet, with several cars going off at different points of the track, Bruxelles being the most delicate point. Senna lost a lot of time in one of these excursions handling the win to Prost. Behind, it became a survival race and incredibly for Brabham Brundle made it to the finish line this time and brought home two very valuable points.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6jbBk ... nel=D.I.G.

Race related RNG:

Unluckily Nelson Piquet suffered a heavy crash during the Belgian Grand Prix, with the Italian Grand Prix being two weeks away, it's not clear whether Piquet will be able to make it in time
1-80: Piquet is actually fine as having happened in the rain meant he wasn't driving as fast as usual.
81-90: The impact has happened in the same ankle as his accident in 1987 at Imola, and needs 3 weeks to recover, missing Monza.
91-96: After further inspection the doctors determine it looks a bit more serious and Piquet misses the rest of the European season.
97-99: He suffers a concussion and his 1987 double vision problems come back, so he decides to rest until 1990
100: Piquet decides he's won enough in F1 and that he shouldn't take any more risks, so he calls it on his F1 career.

This triggers a 2nd RNG, who will replace Nelson?

1-70: Martin Donnelly has been doing intensive testing for the team, so he's very much the preferred choice.
71-95: Johnny Herbert has already been driving for another Camel sponsored team with good results.
96-99: Camel insist to get another driver from their poll and Lotus calls Eric Bernard.
100: The team brings Johnny Dumfries back from sportscars since he knows the circuits and has been testing the Benetton.

Peter Warr does the sensible thing and calls Donnelly. Eric Bernard will drive the car at Estoril though, since Herbert has already been called by Tyrrell to cover for Alesi and Donnelly is also competing at F3000 that weekend.
Aerond
GP2 Starter

Post by Aerond »

story of the race: I had a miserable race where I broke a front wing at the beginning, then another around lap 10, then strolled around the back trying to catch the Eurobruns for over 30 laps before the transmission failed again.
At the front, Senna won comfortably from Boutsen and won his first world title! Nigel Mansell finally finished another race for Ferrari, and Martin Donnelly scored a point in his first outing for Lotus.

Stream:
https://youtube.com/live/3SdYQtR6rMA
Aerond
GP2 Starter

Post by Aerond »

Story of the race: Fantastic qualifying where I put the car less than one tenth off pole. At the start of the race I was passed by Prost, but quickly became clear that I could follow the McLarens. I could pass Prost at the beginning of lap 8 shortly before he retired, and then went after Senna, passing the brazilian for the lead on lap 21. On lap 23 I spun and Senna ran into my car as I was too eager to recover from the spin fast, and lost my rear left. Tried to reach the pits but was impossible and had to retire ... Senna then of course went on, recovered and won the race with ease. Another point of Minardi puts the italian team safely out of pre-q for 1990.

Stream:
https://www.youtube.com/live/LScnmrr9Aw8?feature=share