Getting the best from good old GP2.

Here you can post everything that fits in the topic "GP2 Screenshots & GP2 Patcher"
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Getting the best from good old GP2.

Post by RacerBG »

Well thats is possible after heavy editing in the DOSBOX config file. I have modified and tested almost all possible values and its seems like my GP2 is running on its maximum :)

I will post here my configuration soon, because now Im going to sleep :wink:

I want some of you which use DOSBOX for running GP2 to write here what they had edited in the config. file, so in this way we can make the best configuration for running GP2 :)

I want to hear your opinions, GP2 will never die 8)
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Re: Getting the best from good old GP2.

Post by RacerBG »

Here are my changes to the DOSBOX config. only for GP2 :arrow:

Code: Select all

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=1024x768
windowresolution=800x600
output=ddraw
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=highest,normal
mapperfile=mapper-0.74.map
usescancodes=true

language=
machine=svga_s3
captures=capture
memsize=24

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=hq3x

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=compact
oplrate=49716

gus=true
gusrate=44100
gusbase=240
gusirq=5
gusdma=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND
Peze
GP2 Gamer

Post by Peze »

Here's some which are different from yours or which I've edited from original conf file (dosbox73):

hwscale=2.00
fullscreen=false
windowresolution=1280x960
output=openglnb
scaler=normal2x
cycles=auto
blocksize=64
prebuffer=1000
oplmode=auto

I'm not sure is there optimal setting for GP2, maybe. For me it just works or there is some problems. But I haven't trieed too many options after getting it work.

But I had recently serious problems with GP2 in dosbox. I did new XP installation with better version with SP3 (older was originally SP2, which came with the PC). Everyhting else same, PC hardware and dosbox with it's config. And the result was that GP2 had sound and lagging issues, PO% was much higher than usual.

Changing cycles value to 100000 or more PO came back to normal, but there was still some sound 'jittering'and lagging (without PO going higher) several times per lap. I tried many different values for soundblaster (prebuffer and blocksize) and other values (cpu etc), no help, only worse or little better. Then I switched off so many processes from windows I could, still no effect. So no more driving with GP2 anymore?

The solution was to install the old windows again and now it works. So the problem may be in the operating system's version if GP2 doesn't work properly? Also I considered to use my first PC (which I still got for some reason) for GP2 which has dos/win95-8 period's hardware :D
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

Well your problem is simple to solve listen :arrow:

DOSBOX 0.73 still have a little lagg problems with GP2 so download 0.74 its better :wink:

openglnb and opengl outputs are making my games in DOSBOX to lagg seriosly so better change it to overlay or ddraw (I prefer ddraw) :wink:

For the sound SB16 is perfect :wink:

Thats all I hope its helps :)
Peze
GP2 Gamer

Post by Peze »

dosbox 0.74 was the same result than 0.73 and I tried those outputs you mentioned as well. I'll have to check those options anyway to see if it will improve the emulation (which now works ok). Thanks for the help :)
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

Well here is the difference (I had choosen F1GP you will see why :wink:

First :arrow: In the old one I can achieve only medium resolution because my output was surface.

Second (and the most important) :arrow: I had changed the output to ddraw and set the scaler to hq3x and making the resolution high.
Attachments
NEW ONE.
NEW ONE.
OLD ONE.
OLD ONE.
Peze
GP2 Gamer

Post by Peze »

Your example shows sure the difference. I've tried those settings aswell and did that again. The result is in the left (1), hq3x and ddraw is used (picture is scaled). It's the same with other scalers as well. In the middle (2) normal2x and openglnb is used. Third one is something I'd prefer, adding extra pixels without blurs. None of the scalers give that result, at least in this PC, so I'll go with the pixelated but clear option. In other emulators it is possible, but problem could be that lines or boarders between 0° and 45° could see saw edged.
Attachments
db.jpg
db.jpg (2.13 KiB) Viewed 10717 times
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

Peze wrote:Your example shows sure the difference. I've tried those settings aswell and did that again. The result is in the left (1), hq3x and ddraw is used (picture is scaled). It's the same with other scalers as well. In the middle (2) normal2x and openglnb is used. Third one is something I'd prefer, adding extra pixels without blurs. None of the scalers give that result, at least in this PC, so I'll go with the pixelated but clear option. In other emulators it is possible, but problem could be that lines or boarders between 0° and 45° could see saw edged.
Well I too prefer the third one but for me my config works perfect as you can see :wink:

Anyone else with his DOSBOX config. around :?: