Idea for a GP2 utility

Here you can post everything that fits in the topic "GP2 Screenshots & GP2 Patcher"
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Idea for a GP2 utility

Post by Greyhead »

Just floating a little idea here, not sure if it can actually be done though...

Basically I've had an idea for an add-on for Paul Hoad's CarEditor. For now I'll call it Bitmap Generator.

Actually it's a two ideas. The first idea is this:

In CarEditor, there are options for viewing the shape from several different angles. Now Bitmap Generator could use these viewpoints (front, back, right, left, and top) to generate a bitmap in an engineering drawing layout that we can then save and use as a template for our car painting (see the picture below).

So, now we have our template, we've painted a car onto it and saved it as a BMP file. Now for the second idea:

CarEditor is able to map each texture from the standard GP2 bitmap to the corresponding texture on the car shape. My hope is that it's possible to reverse this, that is to map textures from the car shape back to the GP2 bitmap. If this is possible, then the bitmap we have produced using the template can then be converted to a GP2 bitmap.

Essentially this is what I do now using Paint.NET and the reshape tool, but it would be so much quicker and easier. Reshaping each texture manually is unbelievably tedious and anything that makes this easier would be a godsend. I think it would also make it easier for people who aren't used to editing GP2 bitmaps or aren't sure what to do. All they'd have to do is download a shape, generate a template to paint on and the Bitmap Generator would do the rest, without having to keep checking and re-checking in the game to make sure it looks right.

I hope someone fancies taking on this challenge!
Attachments
Template
Template
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
HF
GP2 Star

Re: Idea for a GP2 utility

Post by HF »

This is a really cool idea. But I think the problem will be the program-code of such a utility. I hardly do not understand anything about programming :D SO does anyone onther here do?
- . -
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

I understand even less :lol:
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

I do not know to but the idea is very cool \:D/