Magic Data and GP2 Physics

Here you can post everything that fits in the topic "GP2 Screenshots & GP2 Patcher"
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Re: Magic Data and GP2 Physics

Post by rremedio »

Thank you, Michael!!! Don't worry about the Seasons Project. The guys are working must faster than I expected and I'm not sure if I should update the physics with the new factor before I upload the next files to them.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
Peze
GP2 Gamer

Post by Peze »

eky78 wrote:I've tested the cars limit:
100 cars limit
50 laps fuel in GP2Edit for qualifying
1h session

Results: 16 cars simultaneously (or 15 + player car) each starting with 18 laps of fuel (not 50 as it should be)
I changed the duration of the session...but nothing changed
Than I count the nimbert of pit-boxes and they are 16 and not 14!

But maybe you already know these things...:)
I don't know anything about these things :) Strange thing, since I got 14 (or 15, cars out 14 in the qualification table), so checked it again with those car numbers(100): still 14 cars, then with those fuels(50, but got only 9 fuel laps) and again 14 (+1) cars. Test track was Monaco, maybe with longer track result could be different, so tested (randomly selected) in Ultima circuit and then I got 15 (+1) cars! Not sure is it because of longer track (what was the track(s) you tested eky78?) or some data in the track file which makes the difference.
eky78
GP2 Gamer

Post by eky78 »

tested many track, also Monaco, and always 16 (or 15+player). Strange we get different results...
Peze
GP2 Gamer

Post by Peze »

Had to check again why we had different result: first I tried with original Monaco and again 14+1, but when increased Qualification periods from 30 minutes, that I had, there was 15+1 cars! Only 31 minutes was enough to get it, but in some othet tracks 30 minutes (maybe less) is enough. The length of Qualification periods also has effect on fuel laps amount on cc cars which is the reason why now Monaco worked since with 30 min there was 9 fuel laps and with 31min, 10 fuel laps (and 60 min resulted 18 fuel laps).
Philip00
GP2 Newbie

Post by Philip00 »

Hi all!

I try to set up 14 cars on track with 4 lap of fuel, but only 2 cc cars on the track woth me 3 cars on the track. why?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I have to say that even being the author of this editor, I don't understand how GP2 calculates these things very well.

How long are your qualifying sessions? In which track are you having this issue?
Early 90s F1 forever!
Philip00
GP2 Newbie

Post by Philip00 »

rremedio wrote:I have to say that even being the author of this editor, I don't understand how GP2 calculates these things very well.

How long are your qualifying sessions? In which track are you having this issue?
1. 1 hour session and in all tracks(i use original tracks) , jst grow up cars if i grow up fuel for cc. What should i do becsaue i want to play with only 4 laps of fuel for cc, becsaue they run faster with little fuel

2. How can i modify tyre wear for cc cars? becsaue as you said if i modify this value in your slot and tyre editon it's only affect in players car
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Sorry about the delay, I haven't been online for while.

1. I understand the problem, but right now I can't help you. That factor in the editor will just set a limit for the number of cars in the track, but the actual number of cars is calculated by GP2 and it uses the number of fuel laps to do that. GPXPatch overrides that calculations, but it's far beyond my skills to dothe same in GP2.

2. The tyre wear for ccs cannot be changed by magic data. You can change the general tyre wear in the Misc section of the editor (the Tyre Types area). It will work for both ccs and players. Then you can adjust the player cars wear to balance the race. Remember that the "Tyre Wear" value in the magic data is overridden by the value stored in the track .dat file if you use GP2Lap. I highly recommend GP2lap, so you suggest that you change this value in the track .dat (using the Track Editor). I suspect that there is indeed a value for "cc tyre wear" hidden in the .dat file (Track Config - Various Data Blocks), but I can't tell you this for sure. Most of that data fits data there were moved to the "magic data" in GP3 and in GP3 there is the "cc shuffler" factor which controls cc tyre wear. But this needs further testing.
Early 90s F1 forever!
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Very interesting indeed, when I`m having some spare time for testing I`ll take a closer look on this one. Seems that there have been some improvements =D>
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

changing subject a bit...

is there any easy way to adjust the magic data, or something so that the cars (human driver and CCs) will be slightly slower in the corners?

I like to simulate older seasons, and say for example turn-1 in brazil.

In the game the CC's typically hit the apex here at 80mph, lets say i wanted to give everyone a little less grip so the average speed was about 65mph at this corner, not 80.

I tried messing with the track grip in track editor, and It seems to be able to make them corner faster but not really slower. I played with the magic data a bit too.

I want this to affect both the ccs and human player so things stay fair.
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

samsepi0l wrote:
09.01.2022, 10:15
changing subject a bit...

is there any easy way to adjust the magic data, or something so that the cars (human driver and CCs) will be slightly slower in the corners?

I like to simulate older seasons, and say for example turn-1 in brazil.

In the game the CC's typically hit the apex here at 80mph, lets say i wanted to give everyone a little less grip so the average speed was about 65mph at this corner, not 80.

I tried messing with the track grip in track editor, and It seems to be able to make them corner faster but not really slower. I played with the magic data a bit too.

I want this to affect both the ccs and human player so things stay fair.
Did you try to decrease Qual and Race Grip for the track slot in the magic data editor for cc cars and increase player grip value in GP2Edit? I did that the other way round and was able to tweak the set the way I wanted it. But it is many trial and error stuff and you have to figure that out for all slots :-k
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

Did you try to decrease Qual and Race Grip for the track slot in the magic data editor for cc cars and increase player grip value in GP2Edit? I did that the other way round and was able to tweak the set the way I wanted it. But it is many trial and error stuff and you have to figure that out for all slots :-k
hmm, you know... to me it almost feels like changing the player grip value from a lower number (original 198) to a higher number (I tried 500) only makes the car less stable, not less fast.

When I test I continue with basically my same braking and turn in points with the same wing level and car setup. It didn't make much difference.

I try and find onboard videos from real f1 (old stuff) with telemetry in the replay so you can see the cornering speeds. It seems gp2 is faster than these videos
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Yes, that`s true. Hm, I always did it the other way round. Tweaking the carset to be challenging with grip "0" and best cars bhps, when driving for the weakest team I use grip factor 198 besides the lower bhp for a little bit more realism. For me the higher grip values led to slower corner speeds, due to less stability, but GP2 might act differently with even higher grip factor, too bad. I never did that, due to concerns about strange acting :?

Another possibility would be to purposely create a carsetup with suboptimal cornering and tweak the CC-cars laptimes afterwards.

But you are right, there might be constraints in the programming of GP2, which prevent you to have the more realstic simulation (grip, laptimes, etc.) of "older" seasons. But I think you can at least converge a little bit with that tweaks :-k
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Unfortunately, many of the performance and physics related things you can change for the player's car only result in more/less wheelspin. My approach is to usually increase car weight by 80+ kg to count for the driver's weight and if I want to simulate older cars, I decrease the downforce on the physics, but not by much if I want to have fun lol. I use the player's grip to get the car to a point when I have fun driving, usually I don't go above 198 because of the exaggerated wheelspin.

After I get the car to behave the way I like, I use magic data and gp2edit to make the ccs competitive against me.

In the past I tried to make everything as realistic as possible, but I was never able to fix the problem with cc's accelerating to slow at lower power (compared to the original game)...I do know more or less where the problem is but every time I think I fixed it, I create another problem. And removing downforce or grip to make my cornering speed realistic usually leads to wheelspin or very slow and annoying reactions from the car.
Early 90s F1 forever!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

rremedio wrote:
03.02.2022, 20:22
My approach is to usually increase car weight by 80+ kg to count for the driver's weight and if I want to simulate older cars, I decrease the downforce on the physics, but not by much if I want to have fun lol. I use the player's grip to get the car to a point when I have fun driving, usually I don't go above 198 because of the exaggerated wheelspin.

curious- do you drive with the traction-control wheelspin reducing driver's aid ON or OFF?