Original game 750 HP season

Smalltalk
Here you can post everything which doesn't fit into the other forums!
ismael
GP2 Racer

Original game 750 HP season

Post by ismael »

GP2 gamer Andrea P is doing an original game season playing with Jos Verstappen with "selected team power" on (Ace level, 30% race distance), which means he's racing with 750 HP rather than the original 780 HP. I'm following it and I thought it might be interesting to some. The latest race, the first he finished outside of the podium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABl4bH99BYs
MaxX
GP2 Star

Re: Original game 750 HP season

Post by MaxX »

Nice idea, having a strong teammate in a car with not top BHP spices things up :mrgreen:
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

Post by roland ratzenberger »

indeed a nice idea.. these videos just gave me a new inspiration.. right now i have almost finished my 1997 championship. my next championship will be a 1994 ace season with 50% races distance, with team power dependent and race as the driver whose name i have as a user name..roland ratzenberger .. it would be rather interesting to see what i can achieve. :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k. i will use the 1994 carset by tdk
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Simtek is lovely to play with I agree. How much less bhp you will have? With luck in reliability regular points finishes could be done I think. 50% race distance also gives you gains with good strategy, very interesting as well :D
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

hey max .. well i have just download and load the carset well. the simteks runs at 690 power in race and 695 in qualis.. the good thing is that, as in real life,simtek is much faster than pacific and also roland has much better values than belmondo and quite similiar to gachot... so up to now i believe that i will be able to make some good races.. i think it is rather unrealistic to talk about regular points finishes.. for sure if i have a possibility i will use it but i dont think it is quite possible.. in any case i believe that it would be a nice challenge
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

When we drive with a car at the back of field with "Selected Team Power" on, the game gives us a very strong advantage over our rivals.
I can't explain the reason; maybe RRemedio or some of the other experts could.

One reason could be that, if our driving is something equivalent to, for example, 16300 grip (Andrea P is leading his championship, so it must be something like this), by driving with a team with 14800 grip we would look awesome. The closest real life example I can remind of is Alonso driving for Minardi in 2001. But we look even better than that.

Alternatively, I give myself even less power and a little more grip to my team-mate so that the game can look somewhat similar to real-life. At my video racing on Antonio's Miamiy 87-94 track, I was racing with 80 HP less than the other cars of the back of the field https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjzgxNZ04IQ&t=45s

I think you should aim very high with Simtek. With some retirements or some luck, who knows if you can't score a point!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

ismael wrote:
10.05.2020, 10:32
One reason could be that, if our driving is something equivalent to, for example, 16300 grip (Andrea P is leading his championship, so it must be something like this), by driving with a team with 14800 grip we would look awesome. The closest real life example I can remind of is Alonso driving for Minardi in 2001. But we look even better than that.
It is something like that by design, but also some other problems with GP2 physics make the slow cars slower than they should be.

The problem can be decreased by changing the Human Grip to something similar to your teammate (it works better if the carset have small "Grip Ranges" for the driver performances) or by increasing the Grip parameter in GP2Edit car settings. But in both instances, it will also make your car have a lot of wheel spin if the values are extreme. Another solution is increasing the Overall CC Grip Levels, making all the computer cars faster.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

hello again guys in the upcoming days i will start my championship..as unbelieveble as it may sounds i have never and i mean NEVER play gp2 with 50% race distance.. i have race only 100% distance races or small sprint races bewteen 20 and 25% distance.. so my question is this. how the pit stop straregy is in this kind of race.. i think it would be advisable to use one pit stop or maybe 2 sometimes. But how the ai drivers choose their strategy.. do they pit at least once.. or they did not pit at all.??? :-k :-k :-k . So if anyone has previous experience in 50% race distances i would like very much to share his opinion in this matter
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

roland ratzenberger wrote:
11.05.2020, 22:05
if anyone has previous experience in 50% race distances
That's me! A few in the nineties and a few now.
I think you should choose always one stop, unless in tracks like Hockenheim and Monza where the tyres don't get much wasted and, depending on your setup, doing no stop would be better. I never found two stops to be an advantage (it would be the equivalent of doing 4 stops in real-life, but that only would have happened in Grand Prix 5 for season 2004, when Schumacher won that way in Magny-Cours).

The AI chooses stop strategy according to the criteria of randomness that we can see (and change) in the WinTrackMan app. With 50%, the result is, in most races, most of the field stops once and a few cars don't stop. And in most races, the cars that don't stop are at a disadvantage and end up losing position in the final laps to those who changed tyres.

I even ended up questioning to myself if it would be "fair" to fight a championship against AI rivals who will, in a couple of races along the way, "choose" not to stop and hurt their chances because of that.

Back in the 90ies, in my 2nd season, I choose not to stop in Magny-Cours and it worked, I was leading in the final lap - but I ran out of fuel and dragged myself until crossing the line in 5th. Until that point, I never realized I could run out of fuel...
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

thank you ismael for your advice.. i think 2 stops strategy is an exaggeration.. in any case i would also think the same that in tracks like hochenheim and monza no pit stop needed.. thanks again mate =D> =D>
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

hello guys.. i have just finished my first race and i would like to share with you my thoughts.. to begin with i use a low downforce set up.. not rear wing one of course but 4 to be more specific.. in the qualis i also take advantage of the slipstreaming of a minardi and i have set the 5th grid time... 5th place in front of alesi with a ferrari.. OH MY GOD.... in the race i had a clean start and also taken advantage from some mechanical problems of the other guys in front and some crashes .. i have come up to 3rd.. then a throttle problem forced me to go to the pits, fortunately 3 laps before my scheduled pit stop.. i rejoined the track on 12 place and then because of the pit stops i have come up to 6th place. 7th was senna.. we had a battle for 2 laps but unfortunately as it was obvious i was beaten by the renault power and i was 7th .. AND THEN on the last lap alesi who was 5th retires.. and as a result i finished 6th and take my first point... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ ..