Grand Prix 2020 version

Smalltalk
Here you can post everything which doesn't fit into the other forums!
ismael
GP2 Racer

Grand Prix 2020 version

Post by ismael »

Hello all,

Please take the following suggestion as a humorous one. As a Portuguese, my kids are already at home (schools closed) and I'm going outside my home as least as possible, so any references to the pandemic are supposed to make us just laugh and relax amid the crisis. Hoping that this goes away (in Portugal and throughout the world) asap.

There's a strong possibility that the F1 season may have 16 races for the first time since 1998. This means we could play Grand Prix 2 for 2020 without missing any real-life race! We would only need to ensure that every track (original or modded/built) could fit nicely in the correct slot. (...or maybe change them, but include them anyway?)

Check the prediction:

slot 1 Monaco Monaco Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo 24 May
slot 2 Azerbaijan Azerbaijan Baku City Circuit, Baku 7 June (YES, A DREAM COMING TRUE!!!)
slot 3 Canada Canada Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montréal 14 June
slot 4 France France Circuit Paul Ricard, Le Castellet 28 June
slot 5 Austria Austria Red Bull Ring, Spielberg 5 July
slot 6 Britain United Kingdom Silverstone Circuit, Silverstone 19 July
slot 7 Hungary Hungary Hungaroring, Mogyoród 2 August
slot 8 Belgium Belgium Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Stavelot 30 August
slot 9 Italy Italy Autodromo Nazionale di Monza, Monza 6 September
slot 10 Singapore Singapore Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore 20 September
slot 11 Russia Russia Sochi Autodrom, Sochi 27 September
slot 12 Japan Japan Suzuka International Racing Course, Suzuka 11 October
slot 13 United States United States Circuit of the Americas, Austin, Texas 25 October
slot 14 Mexico Mexico Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Mexico City 1 November (...we can use the 2006 version! It has a chicane)
slot 15 Brazil Brazil Autódromo José Carlos Pace, São Paulo 15 November
slot 16 Abu Dhabi United Arab Emirates Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi 29 November

Think about it, wash your hands and take care!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Re: Grand Prix 2020 version

Post by rremedio »

lol yeah the current crisis is a great excuse for increasing GP2 related activities and playing a season is the best way to do it.

I've been working slowly in a kind of a "GP2 2019" version and most of it would be usable for a 2020 version. I will talk about it soon on another topic so I don't hijack this one.

Anyway, you can use the original Magic Data for Monaco, Montreal, Suzuka and Interlagos and you can probably use the original Magic Data with little to no changes for Hungaroring, Spa, Monza and maybe Silverstone. The other ones require a bit more work.

And I consider using the 2006 version of Mexico City a win over real life :lol:
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

rremedio wrote:
15.03.2020, 08:03
And I consider using the 2006 version of Mexico City a win
Indeed! Also, I forgot that we don't have Sochi... but maybe it's not exactly as exciting as Baku. We could use Tsarskoye Selo instead.
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

Post by roland ratzenberger »

hello guys.. how is the situation in your countries .. here in greece it is difficult but not as difficult in other countries such as italy.. everything is closed down so i have enought time for gp2, football manager, pes fifa etc.. hahahahh
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

ismael wrote:
16.03.2020, 13:23
Indeed! Also, I forgot that we don't have Sochi... but maybe it's not exactly as exciting as Baku. We could use Tsarskoye Selo instead.
I have converted the GP3 layout for Sochi. Unfortunately, the GP3 ccline won't work correctly on GP2 (sometimes this happens with converted tracks) and I will need to rebuild around 70% of it. But I will make both Baku and Sochi playable (Baku already has layout converted from GP3 and a new ccline made from scratch), they just won't be pretty. These tracks are very big and complex and they are so bad that I already regret having started working on them. But that's ok lol
roland ratzenberger wrote:
16.03.2020, 23:01
hello guys.. how is the situation in your countries .. here in greece it is difficult but not as difficult in other countries such as italy.. everything is closed down so i have enought time for gp2, football manager, pes fifa etc.. hahahahh
Here in Brazil we are worried and taking the precautions necessary trying to slow down things and hopefully not take the big hit. For me, it doesn't change very much since I work from home but schools are getting closed, events are all cancelled etc and we are all afraid of having a bigger spread of the virus because our healthcare system is already very taxed by other diseases, especially the Dengue Fever here around where I live and right now we can't really count with a good chunk of our governments acting sane in the face of a crisis.

I hope you guys are all safe and I hope a solution for this virus will come up soon.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
minardi
GP2 Starter

Post by minardi »

roland ratzenberger wrote:
16.03.2020, 23:01
Here in upstate New York we got our first two local cases yesterday (a husband and wife) so my workplace is cutting on site staff by 50%. Therefore I'll be commuting to work one week then working from home the next. Hopefully everyone here stays safe.

Also, great work rremedio. I look forward to driving the track
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

After the cancellation of Monaco, it's obvious we will have to wait and see until we get a final F1 2020 calendar...

I'm still optimistic regarding the improvement of the situation as the temperatures get warmer in the Northern hemisphere. But currently, the daily amount of events is such that a week looks like a month. In four weeks a million things will have passed through our eyes and news feeds, and then we'll check.

I hope that Brazil takes it seriously, and I hear it's starting to. If the temperatures effect is real, the Southern hemisphere must be really cautious against this in the coming weeks. Apparently Argentina has reacted https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN216446
Antonio Pessoa
GP2 Gamer

Post by Antonio Pessoa »

I'm back! (well, indeed I was not away for too much time, LOL :lol: )

I would travel to Southern Europe (Malta) in March 12th, however, two days earlier the Italian government declared a full quarantine locking of all Italy (not only Northern Italy), and it affected my flight from Sao Paulo to Rome, and the flight from Rome to Malta (this flight was cancelled). Ultimately, I never had 1 second away from my hometown on the last three months, and I've postponed the travel to the 2nd semester. Now, I'll be here in my hometown in countryside Sao Paulo, probably making some more Grand Prix 2 tracks (for the happiness of you all, guys :mrgreen: )

And I've run quickly to finish Paul Ricard 2018 few days of the preparation for the travel begins. At least, all those 20 tracks is now done!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
GP2 TrackMaker
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

Antonio Pessoa wrote:
21.03.2020, 05:16
Now, I'll be here in my hometown in countryside Sao Paulo, probably making some more Grand Prix 2 tracks (for the happiness of you all, guys :mrgreen: )

And I've run quickly to finish Paul Ricard 2018 few days of the preparation for the travel begins. At least, all those 20 tracks is now done!
Countryside São Paulo, cool... if I didn't know that the state of São Paulo is 2,5 times bigger than Portugal, I would say that you're a neighbour of both Pedro Paulo Diniz and Bernie Ecclestone ;-)

Pretty soon I'll proceed with my fictional 2019 season with your new tracks. If you need ideas for new tracks aside from Denver, I could add Portimão, Portugal :-D
Antonio Pessoa
GP2 Gamer

Post by Antonio Pessoa »

ismael wrote:
21.03.2020, 12:59
Antonio Pessoa wrote:
21.03.2020, 05:16
Now, I'll be here in my hometown in countryside Sao Paulo, probably making some more Grand Prix 2 tracks (for the happiness of you all, guys :mrgreen: )

Countryside São Paulo, cool... if I didn't know that the state of São Paulo is 2,5 times bigger than Portugal, I would say that you're a neighbour of both Pedro Paulo Diniz and Bernie Ecclestone ;-)

Pretty soon I'll proceed with my fictional 2019 season with your new tracks. If you need ideas for new tracks aside from Denver, I could add Portimão, Portugal :-D
Portimão is a old wish I have!
Once I thought to make the track layout, cc-line, heights (all that basic...) but using a scenery of other track. Once I thought using Figua Velo (fictional) scenery, with Portimão's layout. In 2012 I made a list with tracks I'd love to be made for GP2, and Autódromo Internacional do Algarve (official name of Portimão) is there!

Seems all State of Sao Paulo (around 45 millions) has 4 times more population than Portugal (more than 10 millions).
Really Bernie Ecclestone has a farm for coffee production in a tiny city, around 100 miles north of Sao Paulo (Amparo), since he is married with a Brazilian woman, he is very present in Brazil since his retirement from FOM.
Pedro Paulo Diniz is a little bit away from media since mid-2000s, seems he is living a calm life in a beach.
But I live 150 miles northeastern from there. My city is near of Roberto's city, around 50 miles.
From the mid-1970s until few years ago, Emerson Fittipaldi had a farm for orange production exactly beside here, less than 10 miles south. Was one of the largest Orange farms in central Sao Paulo countryside. Once, in 1993, Fittipaldi drank Orange Juice in Indianapolis 500 winner's circle, produced here (despite his gesture that day was booed by American fans, due breaking a tradition of drinking milk). However, he is in financial troubles, with millions of debts with creditors, since he attempted to organize WEC's 6 hours of Sao Paulo from 2012 to 2014. His farm here bankrupted, and was recently sold. Despite he is a hero of Brazil (and one of my favourite drivers of all times), his trouble with creditors are damaging his public image in Brazil. Unfortunately.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
GP2 TrackMaker
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

I'd like to think that Emerson's problems are an unfortunate consequence of an economic crisis rather than malfeasance. Many businessmen and CEO throughout the world are victims of the circumstances. I read a few bits of news about his problems but I did not got into details.

Pedro Diniz is not in a beach ;-) you might have skipped what he is doing. I casually landed on an interview of him some time ago. Get a huge reading for these long hours at home: https://revistatrip.uol.com.br/trip/pedro-paulo-diniz (the article is of 2012, already)

For non-portuguese readers (assuming you all followed passionately F1 in the Nineties), Pedro Diniz became a successful farmer back in Brazil. Check out this interview in English to the CGTN America. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLucFLTQhEI
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

A draft F1 2020 calendar with 19 races was published today. If we cut off the 3 repeats/double circuits, we reach GP2 16 slot. Adjusting magic data and putting Singapore instead of Vietnam, we would get:

Slot 1 Red Bull Ring
Slot 2 Silverstone
Slot 3 Budapest
Slot 4 Barcelona
Slot 5 Spa-Francorchamps
Slot 6 Monza
Slot 7 Baku
Slot 8 Sochi
Slot 9 Shangai
Slot 10 Suzuka
Slot 11 COTA
Slot 12 Hermanos Rodriguez
Slot 13 Interlagos
Slot 14 Singapore (instead of Vietnam)
Slot 15 Bahrain
Slot 16 Abu Dhabi
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

A special situation, we where used to make decissions which GPs to skip due to our 16 track limit and know it is unlikely we will have 16 unique events :D

It will be interesting to see how the final calendar develops and if another track (Hockenheim) gets a shot. I hope we don`t lose any more classics (Silverstone, Monza, Spa, Suzuka and Interlagos)
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

We still don't have the entire calendar, and I suppose some of these tracks would not fit their real-life slot counterparts. Apparently the Portuguese Portimão track, recently delivered, still has a shot of getting a race (although I believe it won't happen, if it has to be decided in the next few days).

I'm here to challenge Antonio and RRemedio to develop an Bahrain outer ring track, as it seems it will be included :D easy piece, it's just to pick on the existing Bahrain track and make that shortcut, right?? :wink:
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

This is just a renewed thanks and compliment to Thomas Kost and Roberto Remedio for making and delivering the Portimão track that, against my own expectations, is going to receive F1 this season.