What is possible to have in GP2?

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Re: What it's possible to have in GP2?

Post by rremedio »

RacerBG wrote:So it's time to contact with THIS guys. \:D/ .............But how :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rene Smith is always kind answering my questions and explaining things. I've had a word or two with Belini via PM on grandprixgames.org, but he was not always available and he has stated a while ago that he's finished with GPx hacking (that's sad becouse his GP32k tracks and patches were amazing). I don't know about GP4 Tweaker guys. But as soon as I can, I'll take a look on how does GP4 Tweaker work. If it patches GP4.exe (not memory), I might be able to learn something.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

Nice idea roberto ! I wonder the similarities between the 4 games of geoff crammond...

Do you think if it would be possible to have (like in GP4 with gpxPatch (gpxSAT)) a tv screen where we could see the name, the picture of the drivers etc...?
eky78
GP2 Gamer

Post by eky78 »

grandpixgames.org...what about asking them to put a link on their homepage? A link to this site or forum...All in all GP2 is part of those Grandprixgames!
Just my thoughts, don't know if it's simple...
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

Do you think if it would be possible to have an editor to change the position of the name, insert a pictures... in the screen of camera tv?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Michael82 wrote:Do you think if it would be possible to have an editor to change the position of the name, insert a pictures... in the screen of camera tv?
Yes, it's possible. Editing the position of the name might be possible with a simple patch, but I don't know how. Other features require a memory manager, and a genius coder =)
Early 90s F1 forever!
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

It will be very fun.. with the time counter ;) . Do you think that the creator of gp2lap have the knowledge of this things?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Michael82 wrote:It will be very fun.. with the time counter ;) . Do you think that the creator of gp2lap have the knowledge of this things?
I'll mail him till the weekend (too much things to ask). GP2Lap was made a long time ago, there was one time when he told me about not being sure if it would be possible to run the old compilers needed to mess with advanced GP2 features, the likely impossibility of running two programs which handle GP memory. And I'm not sure if it would be trivial to him to explain things he did so many time ago. GP2Lap features (like the live panels) make me think that GP2Lap technology would be able to handle such things, but surely it wouldn't be simple task.
Early 90s F1 forever!
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

If he don't want to do it he can give us the source code and tell us with what language GP2Lap was made. Im sure that we are not so bad programmers. I have little exerience with C++ and basic knowledge for Python. Of course the language which I know the best is GML (but this is Game Maker built in language so forget about that). :D GP2Lap have excellent features for such an old game so if we are able to extend it - why not :?:
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

I would like to be a good programmer.. Help help! Welcome to all programmers that would like to upgrade this fucking good game !
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

I think that there are several things that would be awesome. I`d love a tool similar to gp2lap adding even more stuff, but this would surely be very tricky :(

But I`ll keep an eye on this, it`s great that there is still new stuff released and thought about :) GP2 rocks and so does this community \:D/
Peze
GP2 Gamer

Post by Peze »

One more thing for the wish list of "possible in some day" would be properly working banking (in tracks:)
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I still didn't mail Rene...
RacerBG wrote:If he don't want to do it he can give us the source code and tell us with what language GP2Lap was made. Im sure that we are not so bad programmers. I have little exerience with C++ and basic knowledge for Python. Of course the language which I know the best is GML (but this is Game Maker built in language so forget about that). :D GP2Lap have excellent features for such an old game so if we are able to extend it - why not :?:
Well, we don't know yet if he will want to give us the code. GP2lap was written in C, but used old compilers and maybe is not that easy to compile it nowadays. Anyway, even if we get the code and all things required to make it work, it doesn't mean that extending it will be easy or fast. I have some knowledge about C (C++ coders would fell at home), but nowhere near Rene and the people who helped him on the making of GP2lap.
Peze wrote:One more thing for the wish list of "possible in some day" would be properly working banking (in tracks:)
Yes it would be fantastic. But it would require the source code for the game and would not be easy by any means. GP2 is an Assembly game and that feature was completed only in GP3 (if a team of expert programmers couldn't make it for GP2, it must be hard).
Early 90s F1 forever!
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

I think we could find a long wishlist for it :D

It would be great to have an upgraded version of gp2lap with new features
Aerond
GP2 Starter

Post by Aerond »

First things first; this is a very interesting topic of conversation. Thanks a lot to rremedio for bringing it.

Now, I´m thinking that maybe, instead of changing the code, maybe, not an easier, but a more rewarding task in the end would be to get the source code (here we go...), and then, clone the game to a more universal language, the way fans did with Transport Tycoon Deluxe, who created OpenTTD, improving (and still doing) a lot the original game features. Now, I understand I´m asking for something very big (myself not being a programmer not having any idea as well) but I understand OpenTTD started as a small project and then programmers kept coming in.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Aerond wrote:First things first; this is a very interesting topic of conversation. Thanks a lot to rremedio for bringing it.

Now, I´m thinking that maybe, instead of changing the code, maybe, not an easier, but a more rewarding task in the end would be to get the source code (here we go...), and then, clone the game to a more universal language, the way fans did with Transport Tycoon Deluxe, who created OpenTTD, improving (and still doing) a lot the original game features. Now, I understand I´m asking for something very big (myself not being a programmer not having any idea as well) but I understand OpenTTD started as a small project and then programmers kept coming in.
Yes, that would be great and I'm sure several programmers would be willing to help or take over.
Early 90s F1 forever!