problems running gp2

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
torana_05
GP2 Newbie

problems running gp2

Post by torana_05 »

g'day i am havin trouble installing and running gp2 on my computer. A few years ago i used the run gp2 on windows xp tutorial that was on grandprix2.com and it worked fine. But now since i have my own computer runnin xp sp3 it doesn't want to run using the same way. I have also tried using the virtual pc method with windows 98 installed but after i install the game i try to run it it crashes back to the desktop after the intro. If anyone could help me that would be great Thanks
AD
GP2 Acc

Re: problems running gp2

Post by AD »

Welcome aboard!

If you haven't attempted that yet, I'd suggest trying out a DOS emulator, such as DosBox, which should be out in version 0.73 (On-line help in wiki form can be found here). From my experience, that should work with an SP3 XP, as well.
If you need more information on setting this up, Henning made a tutorial also covering DosBox available here.

There usually is one limitation to this solution, being that the gp2lap tool doesn't seem to work, but at least, this should make it possible to play the game.
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
AAS
GP2 Star

Post by AAS »

Code: Select all

....after the intro....
after the intro?
Download and Run the "no cdrom" patch once.
Use the new "f1system.dat".
http://grandprix2.de/wissen/gp2_xp/gp2_xp2.html
AAS
GP2 Star

Post by AAS »

gp2lap tool doesn't seem to work
Today I installed DOSBox0.73 and Gp2 + Gp2lap. Works good on Vista. :D

Now I'll install everything on a second system. If it works, I will write a little howto.
torana_05
GP2 Newbie

Post by torana_05 »

yes i have tired using dosbox but once i mount the drive and go gp2.exe it just goes to a blank screen. Sorry i should have explained myself better in the virtual pc way i using the no cd patch i get to the track loading menu then it crashes to virtual desktop. Running it on my host computer windows xp using both way the doesbox way and the vdmsound way as soon as i click into or correctly mount the program and enter it i just get a black screen doing nothing. i have got the dos4gw, no cd and the cicuits folder, f1system.dat and in the gp2 dir. I have also ran the no cd setup.exe to select the sound card in the normal way and in vdmsound way and chosen the correct sound option, but to no avail. i cant understand why it doesn't work i used to have it running so good a few years ago. I am not sure what is going on in the virtaul pc way i have tried doing it in 2 virtual pc programs (Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 and VMWare Workstation) but with the same result in both virtual pc's. Has it got to do with the way my computer is running inthe virtual pc? Windows 98 Virual PC ran TOCA 2 perfectly without a glitch and it is a dos program (i think). Thanks hope this clears stuff up for you so you can give me advice cheers
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

AAS wrote:

gp2lap tool doesn't seem to work
Today I installed DOSBox0.73 and Gp2 + Gp2lap. Works good on Vista. :D

Now I'll install everything on a second system. If it works, I will write a little howto.
Great, I`ll try that instantly \:D/
facu989x
GP2 Newbie

Post by facu989x »

I kno' that its a fool idea but...did you check the Properties of the GP2.EXE file ( the DOS settings ) ?

I remember that i've to set for work, Memory all in Automatic...
"Next week we're turning professionals" -
Deep Purple in 70's
torana_05
GP2 Newbie

Post by torana_05 »

facu989x wrote:I kno' that its a fool idea but...did you check the Properties of the GP2.EXE file ( the DOS settings ) ?

I remember that i've to set for work, Memory all in Automatic...
Yes i just changed that on my host and tried to run it in both VDMSound and DOSBOX but with the same result.
facu989x
GP2 Newbie

Post by facu989x »

Well...have you tried another DOS application?
Because, if it were there the problem, then ill think that you maybe have an....Windows problem...

So..literally, the game crash....what it says when it crash?

It says something like 'Exception fault' or things like that?

If the game crash, and also, you type 'CLS' and press ENTER, you, are back to DOS prompt ?
"Next week we're turning professionals" -
Deep Purple in 70's
torana_05
GP2 Newbie

Post by torana_05 »

yes i have sucesfully got wolfenstein 3d working with dosbox so i do not understand what is going on
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Maybe the path of the circuits or there name can`t be found by the game? Are the settings correct in the gp2lap config?
torana_05
GP2 Newbie

Post by torana_05 »

i am currently not running gp2 lap just the standard game with th no cd patch. last time i had the game running i never used gp2 lap. thanks for the quick replys
torana_05
GP2 Newbie

Post by torana_05 »

is there anyone with any more tips help cheers