Problems during save

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
Gabriele
GP2 Starter

Problems during save

Post by Gabriele »

Hi guys,
I have a Mac and I play Gp2 under Parallels Desktop, which allows me to virtualize a Win98 machine.
Everything ran smoothly, except for some occasional crash due to system / software / other problems, but never from Gp2 itself.
Now I was about to start a race in Buenos Aires 73-80. I enter the friday qual, and it's ok. Load the setup, set the fuel, and again ok. Save game, still ok.
But as my wheels start rolling, even if I am still in the pit lane, when I try to save I get two results: the game freezes, the game crashes to desktop.
Thought it was track's fault, but as I changed the problem was not solved.

I'm in the office now, no Gp2 to test... I am used to install tracks, carsets etc.. maybe something messed up gp2lap or gp2.exe? Should I delete the f1state? Should I reinstall Gp2?

Did someone ever had this kind of problem solved?
"When you are fitted in a racing car and you race to win, second or third place is not enough."
Ayrton Senna Da Silva

Currently working on MotoGP 500 season 1991 (converted to Gp2)
MotoGP 500 season 1990 done.
Gabriele
GP2 Starter

Re: Problems during save

Post by Gabriele »

I tried replacing gp2.exe and statefile, but no chance.
Then I tried with a fresh new gp2lap.exe, but again no chance.

I cannot see how a fresh new install could help me, but I'll try it anyway...

Any suggestion?
"When you are fitted in a racing car and you race to win, second or third place is not enough."
Ayrton Senna Da Silva

Gabriele
GP2 Starter

Post by Gabriele »

It seems I am the only one answering to myself...
Anyway, as I thought a fresh new install didn't help.
I was so upset... then I remembered I had a not-so-old laptop with WinXP SP2 on it. I followed the instructions, and now I have a STABLE Gp2 to keep racing.

Last advice... virtualization, in my opinion, leads to many problems... Better an old but "real" machine.
Ayrton Senna Da Silva

AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

Since replacing important game files didn't seem to make it any better, I don't think this was a GP2-internal problem. It most probably wasn't developed to run on a virtual machine, so there might be some compatibility issues with that.

It's great to have a sufficiently old, original system to still run these kinds of programs on, of course. Sadly, I had to take apart my oldest machine, because it wouldn't work anymore. :(
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
Gabriele
GP2 Starter

Post by Gabriele »

I guess so. Now there's no more problem, and I can race my Argentinian 1953 GP with Ascari without trouble. (The only troube, to tell the truth, is the race, which lasts three hours or so, but that's another story :D )
I was lucky enough to have that old PC too. And as I'll never switch back to PCs again, I should treat him as a KING...
Ayrton Senna Da Silva