Color distortions on some tracks

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
MaxX
GP2 Star

Color distortions on some tracks

Post by MaxX »

Is it possible to change the color palette for the slots? Some carcolors (esp. green) just don`t look good in some slots. Would be a great addition to the slot editor ;)
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Re: Color distortions on some tracks

Post by Greyhead »

Yeah sometimes the green turns brown.

I thought it was a track-specific thing though.
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Could also be possible, I`m not a pro on this sector :-k Is there an option to switch the palette?

The Force India didn`t look as good in Barcelona and Monaco, that`s my prob :(
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

There's the option in GP2Edit in "Window - Program Configuration" called "fix green pallet entries". This will make any tracks that turn green to brown display green again. However I believe it changes any shade of green, if for example you had the shade found on the 1992-93 Benetton (which was quite light) and also the shade on a Vanwall (very dark) it makes them look the same which isn't much good either! But the Force India that you mention is the only car in the 2009 F1 carset with green on it so it shouldn't be too bad.
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Greyhead wrote:Yeah sometimes the green turns brown.

I thought it was a track-specific thing though.
And you are right.
Greyhead wrote:There's the option in GP2Edit in "Window - Program Configuration" called "fix green pallet entries". This will make any tracks that turn green to brown display green again. However I believe it changes any shade of green, if for example you had the shade found on the 1992-93 Benetton (which was quite light) and also the shade on a Vanwall (very dark) it makes them look the same which isn't much good either! But the Force India that you mention is the only car in the 2009 F1 carset with green on it so it shouldn't be too bad.
That fix green pallet gives a terrible result (worst then the brown cars IMO). I think is better to fix the tracks.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Thank you for the infos :D
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

I used this gp2-edit trick today, and it actually worked. I'm running a 1992 season set and the Lotus had a green, yellow and black car this year. It was brown when I went to spain. This option in gp2 edit fixed it without any negative side effects that I can see.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

samsepi0l wrote:
11.05.2020, 01:00
I used this gp2-edit trick today, and it actually worked. I'm running a 1992 season set and the Lotus had a green, yellow and black car this year. It was brown when I went to spain. This option in gp2 edit fixed it without any negative side effects that I can see.
It has been many years since I last tested this. The effect will be different depending on the car bitmap (and maybe the track). So I may have experienced the "worst-case scenario" when I tested it in the past.

The track commands that change palettes are very powerful, capable to add colours not originally available and some nice effects like wet tracks, etc. But I wish they didn't have side effects (most of the time I just ignore them in my tracks).
Early 90s F1 forever!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

rremedio wrote:
11.05.2020, 02:58
It has been many years since I last tested this. The effect will be different depending on the car bitmap (and maybe the track). So I may have experienced the "worst-case scenario" when I tested it in the past.

The track commands that change palettes are very powerful, capable to add colours not originally available and some nice effects like wet tracks, etc. But I wish they didn't have side effects (most of the time I just ignore them in my tracks).
I've driven at other tracks and this never did this with this particular carset. Do you think it would be wiser to just modify the track? This happened on the original Spain (f1ct05)
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

samsepi0l wrote:
11.05.2020, 18:41
rremedio wrote:
11.05.2020, 02:58

I've driven at other tracks and this never did this with this particular carset. Do you think it would be wiser to just modify the track? This happened on the original Spain (f1ct05)
Unless you are going to ruin the way the track looks, I'd modify it. You can copy the values from a track that works into the track with problems. You will need to change one of the 0xC9 commands in the track sector 0 (you do that with the Track Editor). Not sure if it is the Trees and Brushes one or the Verges and Green Walls one.
Early 90s F1 forever!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

I just fixed Derick Hicks'es montreal 2000 track that had this problem with your C9 command in section 0 suggestion. Thank you!. I had to change every single entry to the original Montreal values, not just the 2 that you mentioned.
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

Guys- I need help. I did more testing today at Derek Hicks Montreal 2000 track and I found something really strange.... for some reason on 3 cars in my carset, the drivers don't have helmets for some reason. It's like they drive around the track completely missing a head.

I also notice one of the helmets has a really weird Jam mapped to it. Almost like the track pavement jam with grass printed on the helmet.

The majority of the colors and helmets look perfect. It's just a few missing and one weird one.

This does not happen on my other tracks- I think I may have created this problem modifying the numbers in the 0xC9?