Screen Dimensions

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
tmc
GP2 Starter

Screen Dimensions

Post by tmc »

Hi Guys,

i was a long time without Gp2, because my Laptop crashed, but now im back again (with a new problem :-" ).

When GP2 starts, the dimension of the screen shrinks to... i dont know... 800x600. There are black bars around the picture, but the resolution of the graphics is still SVGA.

The Dimension switchs immediatley when the black "loading gp2.exe"-screen appears.

Anybody knows how i can change this?
ccollalto
GP2 Newbie

Re: Screen Dimensions

Post by ccollalto »

Well, since I never heard of this problem before :-k I think the first thing we should check is how you are running GP2. Which OS are you under? Do you use VDMsound or any other emulator to play it ?
tmc
GP2 Starter

Post by tmc »

Unfortunately i've forgotten the laptop on my work, so i can't answer until monday.
ccollalto
GP2 Newbie

Post by ccollalto »

Yep! No problem
"Mansell has the two ugliest women on the world, one is his wife, the other is a statue in his house."
Nelson Piquet about Mansell's feeling for women.
tmc
GP2 Starter

Post by tmc »

I'm playing Gp2 on XP and there are no other programs installed apart from the microsoft office.

And i do not use VDM-Sound, because it doesnt work. There only appears the box with "Loading VDDLoader.dll" and then the screen turns black and nothing happens, but this is another problem.

Returning to the screen dimension problem: it also is too small, when i use the setup.exe and when i play with gp2lap.

Does this info helps?

THX
ccollalto
GP2 Newbie

Post by ccollalto »

I don't know if other guys could help more than I do but :-k .. As far as I'd understand you just doubleclick GP2.exe to play the game right ? I think you should try to run with VDMsound or DosBox to see if the same problem happens (what I think wouldn't).. about VDMsound problem, did you try to reinstall it ? If you can't manage to play with these applications anyway, take a look on GP2.exe properties, check compatibility and memory settings.. that might help.. If you need further info about Dos emulators, please let me know, I'll help as much as I can.
"Mansell has the two ugliest women on the world, one is his wife, the other is a statue in his house."
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

I've never encountered this problem before, however, if you're running old gaming stuff on a Windows XP system, sometimes the right compatibility setting seems to be the only way of getting it to work properly.

The only thing I could say is add to ccollalto's suggestion of trying out the DosBox emulator. They're at version 0.72 right now, which is the one that has been out for some time.

Now, there would be limitations to that as well, namely gp2lap doesn't seem to work under that environment.

I'm sorry I can't come up with more technical stuff to help you with this, as I guess it's somewhat frustrating.
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
tmc
GP2 Starter

Post by tmc »

Thank you Guys,

- yes, im just doubleclicking the gp2.exe and than it starts with these strange screen dimensions.
- VDMsound doesnt work. i try to reinstall it, but... nothing. the dosbox apperas with "Loading VDDLoader.dll" and than a black screen comes and nothing happens.
- im going to try your suggestion about the game properties, but i really dont know what to do with them (what is a compatibility setting? :-k )
- okay, i'll try the dosbox, but later (its a sunny day today 8) ).

I'm also thinking about buying an old Notebook on Ebay just for playing GP2. What do you think about this idea?
ccollalto
GP2 Newbie

Post by ccollalto »

Ok, let me get it.. :-k

What exactly happens when you run GP2 at VDMsound? I mean, how are you running it? since I understand 'nothing happens' as it just don't open any window and you don't get error messages, maybe you are not running properly, did you play other games at VDMsound?

About Properties, will be quite hard to explain what settings to check since my Windows is in portuguese (BR 8)) but I think primary things to check are Compatibility that must be full unmarked (including resolution) and Memory that should all be set as Auto.. At least that's how it works here without emulators.

I don't know if other guys have any other ideias or know in fact how to solve this but, that's the best I can do for you in this case.

About buying an oldie to play, doesn't sounds good to me but I'm sure that's my very opinion.. I just run with a 2005 PC under WinXP P4 with emulators and that's enough to make my fun ! \:D/

I hope this can help you! I'll wait the results ok?
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

Regarding the compatibility dialog, here's an article on how to use that in German: http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... de;d301911
(edit: also available in English, of course: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301911/en-us)
Last edited by AD on 18.05.2009, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Yeah I've never had any major problems either, I run a 2006 PC with XP and service pack 3, VDMS works absolutely spot-on for me, not just with GP2 but with a whole host of my other old games too, can't beat the old DOS games for a blast now and then!
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
ccollalto
GP2 Newbie

Post by ccollalto »

Oh that's bad I don't understand a word in german ](*,) :oops: