Returning after 28 years

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
GavJ1981
GP2 Newbie

Returning after 28 years

Post by GavJ1981 »

Hi all,
Thanks to GP2Joey on Youtube I have rediscovered the game and decided to download and go all in on it again as I did as a kid. I initially had problems getting the game to run so downloaded a version that included a simple 'start the game' batch file in the top folder. It now loads and runs brilliantly. However, I want the 'full' experience so i have downloaded GP2 editor which is working well. I am also trying to get it to run with GP2Lap but I'm having issues. Basically i have followed all of the instruction but can't get GP2Lap to run either through DOSbox or or the window editor. The game's DOSbox config looks like this:

[autoexec]
cd ..
cd ..
mount c .\games\GPrix2
imgmount d .\games\GPrix2\cd\GP2.CUE -t cdrom
#imgmount e .\games\GPrix2\cd2\GP2_XP_SET2.img -t cdrom
c:
cd gp2
cls
@gp2
exit

And the file path for the GP2.EXE file is:
C:\GP2\Grand Prix 2 (1995)\games\GPrix2\GP2.GP2.EXE

GP2LAP is stored in the same location:
C:\GP2\Grand Prix 2 (1995)\games\GPrix2\GP2.GP2.EXE

Within the GP2LAP windows editor have have set the file path for GP2 and GP2LAP to those above but i'm having no joy. I don't see the GP2LAP banner in the menus after starting the game. I also cannot start the game from within the GP2LAP editor or the GP2 editor so have to use the batch file mentioned above.
I am hoping the solution is as simple as changing something in the config command lane but being a newb I have no idea what I am doing (hence why I had to download a version that worked with one click!).

Any assistant would be really appreciated.
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Re: Returning after 28 years

Post by samsepi0l »

install dosbox ECE and start the game from the command line when you launch a dosbox window.

I simply click my dosbox icon and get a dos prompt.

I type "CD GP2" to change directory into my gp2 folder (where gp2lap and gp2.exe are kept)

Then I type "GP2LAP" and it starts the game by starting gp2lap.
GavJ1981
GP2 Newbie

Post by GavJ1981 »

Hi.
Thanks for replying. So I installed another version of the game and set up my own DOSBox ECE prompts and config file and it works! I tried it with a DOS4G initially but no success and then realised I needed DOS4GW. After that the game booted fine.
Thanks again
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

Glad it's working.

I suggest you check out the RRemedio magic data editor. I wish we had that when we were kids. GP2lap makes the game much easier to switch tracks and set things up easier. Magic data editor also!
GavJ1981
GP2 Newbie

Post by GavJ1981 »

I will do thank you. I have downloaded the magic editor but rather then me filling in random values is there somewhere i can download a an MD file that is already set up?
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

GavJ1981 wrote:
18.05.2023, 22:24
I will do thank you. I have downloaded the magic editor but rather then me filling in random values is there somewhere i can download a an MD file that is already set up?
You need to tweak them to your own liking... sending you my magic data values will only give you the same results as I have, were I may be faster/slower than you or have different wants/needs.

The idea of editing the magic files is simple- you no longer need to find a "perfect slot" like we had to in the 90's. You can change the magic data so any track you want to run will work the same in any slot.

I personally like to make sure that I can change the pit in and pit out values so the cars enter and leave the pits appropriately without crashing, then I tweak the fuel usage and opponent performance until it is right and I am competitive in the middle of the pack. I save the original data in a safe place and then make different versions for each track I run, that way I can overwrite and modify without risk of losing original values.