championship season and slot and tyre editor

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

championship season and slot and tyre editor

Post by roland ratzenberger »

hello mates, i will go straight to the point.. lets say that i start a championship in gp2, and lets say that according to each carset the championsip is way too difficult or easy on the other side. If i change the overral cc grips for all the circuits in the remedios slot and tyre editor, will these changes going to take place while i am still in the current championship i play or i need to start a new championship. :-k :-k :-k

in simpler words, are the changes we made in the slot and tyre editor affect current game saves (non championship races, championship season etc) or we need to start a new one with the new values :-k :-k :-k
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Re: championship season and slot and tyre editor

Post by samsepi0l »

I can tell you this.

Sometimes I start a race, and do a Friday qualifying session. Lets say I feel I get a reasonable lap, but I feel I can go faster but compared to the CC's I am on pole. I will save the game, exit gp2, and load up the magic data editor and turn up the CC grip values maybe 500 or so.

Then when I go back into my saved game, and do the Saturday qualifying session all of the CCs will be quicker and none of the Friday times will matter- so hopefully my time will only be good enough for mid-pack unless I made improvements to make me significantly faster.

I have also done this when I was having a very satisfying 100% length race and I am just having it too easy. If you save the game, change the magic data and go back in it will be harder.

Ever since I had gp2 when I was a kid, I never actually used the championship season mode. Back in the 90's I still did just like I do now- I would keep track of the races with a spreadsheet and a calendar. I do single races for each event and keep my own statistics. This way I don't have to worry about which slot is needed, or seasons that have more than 16 races. I simply keep a folder of magic data files for each track file. I update them with faster settings when I get quicker so I always struggle to keep with the front runners.
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

thanks for your answer mate, what you do with the magic data is very interesting , well done. Personally i am too lazy to do it your way, when it comes to the championship mode. Moreover i dont care at all for the 16 races as i put these tracks that i like the most. if one or two will stay out, then i will have some non championship races in them with the driver and team standings as there are in the previous 16 races. That is the closer i come to your way of playing gp2

In our matter now, taken into account that according to your experiencem changes in the magic data take place in the current save and not in a new one, i assume that probably the same happens with the championship mode. However if someone has specific and previous experience with the what i mention in championship mode, i would like to give me his views on that
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

One thing I notice- I have a really hard time focusing intently on driving sometimes when I play. As I make my way around the track and approach different corners I like to try and think in my mind about all of the areas where I screw up....

for example I will think something like:
"Ok, turn-4 is coming up- my problem here is I always brake too late and the car goes wide"
or
"Ok, turn 7 is coming up going over the hill on the entrance don't put in too much wheel angle or the car will slide loose"

When I have the difficulty matched really hard it tends to keep my mind much more engaged in what is happening in the race. Sometimes I find myself with my thoughts drifting away and I will somehow start thinking about something that is going on in my life instead of driving- that's when I have an accident. Keeping it really difficult seems to prevent that some.

Now- I live by myself so the only distractions I have when I race is the occasional phone call or email when my phone goes off. When My mom comes to visit me the only time I can race is when she is sleeping. If I had anything going on in the house (other people or whatever) I would be terrible at concentrating. One of my best memories was a few years ago when my dad was still alive he sat there and watched me race the full 100% 1986 San Marino race. When I was a kid he was never interested- although gp2 is probably a major reason why I am so into cars today (I am actually an engineer for a Major automotive manufacturer today)

Funny thing is- I have a very hard time getting to sleep sometimes- and one of the things I like to do to fall asleep is drive in my mind around whatever track I am at in my gp2 season. I imagine how the car feels in corners, and try and think about any setup changes to help my problem areas. Sometimes I think I fall asleep before I can even finish one lap :lol:

sorry to get so off topic!
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

no problem mate, good to share our experience on how we love to play gp2
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Yes, the Slot and Tyre Editor is awesome indeed, when it comes to tailor GP2 to your personal skill :D

I have only one tailored version with this, a version with my 16 favorite tracks and my personal carset. I just went for the trackrecord on each track and tried to get the fastest cc cars in Q very close 0,2 secs and in race 0,8-1 sec. In the race I put the off that far, because I never do track records laps a whole 100% race distance. The outcome was, that with my 16 races championship I was able to win all races but all races were very close.

For other seasons I don`t do that, because most of the times I just run races on certain tracks I like. I always use 800bhp and 16300/16320 Grip for the fastest car in the sets so I can reuse my settings from my other carset.

I haven`t played GP2 for some time now, most likely I would have to use another difficulty than ace now to be competitive, that`s the downside of the tailored ccs :mrgreen:
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

Haha yes indeed , the slot and tyre editor makes gp2 more compatible to each one of us according to what we want

And to finally give the response to what i ask

Yes indeed the changes that we make do take place in the current championship i play :D :D