Infinite race?

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
eky78
GP2 Gamer

Infinite race?

Post by eky78 »

Hey guys, I´ve found a strange thing this evening while making an all-cc race at Lime Rock. I´ve set a total distance of 127 laps...but the race isn´t stopping. After 127 laps the cars are continuing at full speed until they run out of fuel:!:
I don´t know if it was already known to you but in doubt I decided to share it :-k
As you can see in the screenshot (it is written lap 54 but I can guarantee you it´s 154) GP2lap lap count isn´t updating, but the in-car lap count is, while overall order is updating only at the end of the lap...this is quite curious. Now it will be difficult to go to sleep ](*,)
Attachments
GP2_0004.jpg
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

Re: Infinite race?

Post by roland ratzenberger »

owww.. strange thing indeed mate
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

Nope, never saw anything like that!

(On an unrelated note, both Gabriele Tarquini and Jacques Villeneuve won races in 2021, so maybe their careers turned infinite too...)
minardi
GP2 Starter

Post by minardi »

I always had an issue that if I set a race to over 127 laps then it immediately ends when the cars cross the line at the start but I don't remember ever trying a race of exactly 127 laps. I'd have to imagine the two are related somehow
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Nice find, I haven`t encountered that one so far :D

Seems that track pushes GP2 to its logical limits. What does happen after all npc cars DNF? The race ends after the player also retires or goes it into an infinite loop?
eky78
GP2 Gamer

Post by eky78 »

Yes it´s like Minardi says...it has to do with the number of laps set at 127. Strange nobody noticed it earlier but probably due to the fact that other editors (e.g. GP2Edit) support only up to 124 laps and I´ve always used that number as a maximum until a few days ago.
The race ends only when all the cars retire (when they run out of fuel) and at the result screen you have all drivers retired. Another strange thing I forgot to mention is that all the marshals with the flags are out like when the race ends.
You can try too. You just have to put 127 laps with the Track Editor to the tracks you want and then you need to run the game through GP2Lap (make sure the function of loading the data from the track file is enabled). Then you can use Accelerate time during the race so you get to the end in a few time. Ah, I´ve always used Quick Race with 100% distance!
I said infinite because if we put fuel consumption at 0 with rremedio´s editor in theory the cars will never retire and the race should last...forever. In theory, haven´t tested it yet. The maximum I´ve arrived is 200 laps (which is the Indy500 distance by the way!).
I´m making some other tests with fuel and some editors, it´s not working like I hoped, but at least now we can run the full Indy 500 (albeit with max 3 stops).
If it is indeed a new thing, people who can read/understand GP2 and GP2Lap maybe they can find a way to improve this thing in the future. \:D/

Ah ismael you jinxed on Tarquini... :D :D :D :D :D but it was about time in any case...59! think we are gonna see him in some national championship though
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

eky78 wrote:
06.11.2021, 16:17
Ah ismael you jinxed on Tarquini... :D :D :D :D :D but it was about time in any case...59! think we are gonna see him in some national championship though
Yeah it almost seems... but yeah, I think from some point onwards we would all become Tarquini fans, what he has achieved after Formula One (and during his 'career', has his 1994 British title came before his last unfortunate spell in 1995) has been incredible. One can defy the rigours of time if one has the passion, the focus and the physical conditions to do it. Hope you see him occasionally, has he said one can not go from 100% racing to 0%...

He should be invited him to simracing! Passion, good reflexes and decent physical condition (not a super athlete one) is what is required, and he has it all...