GP2 & suspension set up

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
peke12
GP2 Newbie

GP2 & suspension set up

Post by peke12 »

Anybody tips on which circuits benefit from stiff suspension and which benefit from soft suspension?
I just don't know when to set up a hard or soft suspension.
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Re: GP2 & suspension set up

Post by samsepi0l »

peke12 wrote:
28.05.2021, 21:52
Anybody tips on which circuits benefit from stiff suspension and which benefit from soft suspension?
I just don't know when to set up a hard or soft suspension.
Excellent question! This is something that I think a LOT about, and test A LOT as well!

In my opinion and observation, softer suspension will generally give you more grip in corners. The issue is that the grip will not transmit from one side to the other as in a stiff suspension.

Let me give you an example:
If you have a corner that has a smooth entry, and smooth exit, with no changes in direction near it- you will be better off with a soft suspension.

If you have aggressive changes back and forth (like a quick chicane, right left right) you need to quickly transition from one direction to the other- so the stiff suspension will work better.

I am racing at the F1CT05 original spain track now. Most of the corners are pretty much independent of eachother. There is one exception, which is the "nissan" chicane that it a very quick right/left. I tend to set up the car mostly as soft as I can, and it hurts me in the nissan chicane.

To understand how stiff or soft the suspension should be I like to look at the LAP DATA and view the graph of my steering input. You can see if the steering input is violently changing from left to right and left quickly. If you are quick with the steering wheel your steering movements will look like 'sharp spikes'. If the corners are smoother and the transitions are less they will look more like gentle hills.

Let me know if this helps you. I think this is generally hard for everyone because you can't "Feel" the response of the car like you can't in real life.
peke12
GP2 Newbie

Post by peke12 »

I'm driving Australia now.
My suspension set up is 1500 lb/in at the front and 1100 lb/in at the back.
This seems to work although I think it is a rather stiff suspension.
I would think it needs to be softer as there are a lot of slow left right corners at the beginning of the track.
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

Most of those corners are "compound" corners (where the exit of one and the entrance of another overlap). This means your steering from one side to the other quickly.

1500 in the front is a bit stiff. I think I use less there (1300, or 1400 - I don't have my gp2 computer on to check right now)

Try both ways and see how it feels. My driving style may be different than yours. I nearly always have a setting of the front wing which is 4 to 6 clicks higher than the rear.

The hardest corner for me is the last turn before leading onto the long straight. The rear end always wants to slip loose going over the crest of the hill at the apex of that corner. If I get lucky, I can pull that corner off without lifting of the throttle, probably in 4th or 5th gear.

With a softer suspension you have a little bit more warning before the car slips. With the stiffer suspension it changes direction better, but it will reach and go past the slip point more rapidly.
peke12
GP2 Newbie

Post by peke12 »

I think the softer rear suspension allows you for taking the turn before the long straight without lifting.
I always take it without lifting.

I also want stiffer suspension in the front to be able to lower the car more. The 1500 in the front works good for me.

Regarding wings, I do the same. front wing max 5 clicks higher than the rear to avoid snap oversteer.