help changing volume of "skidding" sound

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
samsepi0l
GP2 Gamer

help changing volume of "skidding" sound

Post by samsepi0l »

I downloaded the SAMPLE.CAT from the 1991 grand prix 2 remake that was done, the sounds are amazing in this, so I simply copied the SAMPLE.CAT that was inside of the sound folder and it put all the sound files in my game.

Now, the engines on this are just a little louder, so it's hard sometimes to hear when the car starts skidding in a corner. For me, it makes it much easier to catch the car in a slide when I barely get to hear it skidding just before I lose control.

I loaded the files in gp2edit, and imported the sound files. I hear the skidding noise is sound number 7. I saved it as a WAV, and went into a program called goldwave to increase the volume some. When I re-imported it into the game with gp2edit I can hear it is louder, but now the sound of the skid does not loop well. It's almost like it has a minor gap at the very end of the sample and it repeats over and over as I'm sliding. Is there some trick to making WAV files that I don't know about? it should be rather simple to just amplify the noise. I kept the same file settings, mono with 22k sample rate.

I also repeated this problem by trying to make the engine noises just a little quieter, but it does the same thing. You can hear the engine skip every time the samples loop. It's like a brief stop in the sound.
DannyDarwen
GP2 Newbie

Re: help changing volume of "skidding" sound

Post by DannyDarwen »

Hi there!

Did you find a solution to this skipping engine sound issue?

Cheers :D
samsepi0l
GP2 Gamer

Post by samsepi0l »

DannyDarwen wrote:
05.01.2023, 23:42
Hi there!

Did you find a solution to this skipping engine sound issue?

Cheers :D
No I ended up tuning the volume of the sound with the game sound volume settings.... kind of cheesy I know. I don't change game sounds that often so this isn't a problem I deal with a lot. I am probably doing something wrong- or my audio editing setup is causing the problem. I don't know.
DannyDarwen
GP2 Newbie

Post by DannyDarwen »

I found the solution yesterday using the Loop Editor (LOOPED) in the download sections of this site. It's a great little tool.
It explains that our new audio clips are not recorded at the GP2-required sample rate of 22050Hz, even if we believe they are. For example:

I inspected one of the downloadable Renault V10 engine sound clips that had this issue, and re-exported it at 22050Hz (8bit PCM etc) so that the format was accurate, but when using the Loop Editor to inspect this further, it showed that the sample rate was still slightly different.

So this tool allows you to accurately adjust your 8bit audio clips to 22050Hz - which solves the engine sound looping issue.

Hope this helps if you are changing sounds in the future!
samsepi0l
GP2 Gamer

Post by samsepi0l »

You are awesome my friend! =D> I will have to now find a good lamborghini V12 sound to add to my current season of the 1990 year. I have been running a 1997 Mercedes V10 sound for a while. It's amazing how cool gp2 sounds for a while when you load a new engine sound right?! :D
DannyDarwen
GP2 Newbie

Post by DannyDarwen »

Absolutely!
I've been making a new V10 sound by repitching and editing the original GP2 audio clips and comparing to the Renault RS6. Sounds much more aggressive but need to careful not to damage ears and speakers!
samsepi0l
GP2 Gamer

Post by samsepi0l »

DannyDarwen wrote:
10.01.2023, 11:35
Sounds much more aggressive but need to careful not to damage ears and speakers!
Yes- please upload your sounds!

I still use the exact same speakers I bought with with the original computer I played Gp2 on when I bought it in 1995. They are "gateway 2000". That computer was 90mhz. I later upgraded to 266mhz but I could still not run Gp2 with all of the details.

I wonder what young teenager me would think if 40's me went back and said "someday you'll run Gp2 with all the details in SVG mode with full frame rate" LOL
DannyDarwen
GP2 Newbie

Post by DannyDarwen »

SVGA!...your younger self would have called you a madman!

You can try these V10 sounds, if you like. I have taken the original GP2 engine sounds and pitched them down to match the RS6 engine's root note, and added extra FX..
Attachments
V10.zip
(55.85 KiB) Downloaded 231 times