Speed of game

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Re: Speed of game

Post by samsepi0l »

Manselltash wrote:
22.05.2022, 13:46
Should you mess with the frame rate setting in-game or tweak the cycles instead in Dosbox?

I never touched the frame rate in-game and on Windows 10 runs perfect on ECE.
I'm sure I remember (also GP3) messing with the frame rate in-game and it messes things up to a point where I could never get it settled anymore. So now (unless I have to) I leave well alone.
Set your cycles to max. If you are using ECE it will be a 32bit executable so it will run as fast as possible. I get the max 25.6fps with all of the details on at the highest graphical settings.
Manselltash
GP2 Newbie

Post by Manselltash »

Thanks for that info. Always valuable tips.
jakesanson
GP2 Acc

Post by jakesanson »

I have an issue that has arisen related to this. My GP2 suddenly crawls to a stop and then starts again mid-race. It's causing a major problems as I am streaming my races, but can't do it if it stops mid-flow every 45 seconds and then moves again.

Has anybody ever experienced this, or might know why it's happening? It's definitely not a circuit issue as it's doing it with every track.
Find me on @jakesansonofficial or www.jakesanson.com
Voice of the FIA Karting World and European Championships, IAME Euro & Asia Series, and more.

Commentated at the British Grand Prix for Formula 1 in 2019 and the Le Mans 24 Hours for ACO in 2016. Yep, I can't believe it either.....

Come and play the RRML using Grand Prix 2 via Downforce Racing YouTube channel!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

jakesanson wrote:
31.05.2022, 10:39
I have an issue that has arisen related to this. My GP2 suddenly crawls to a stop and then starts again mid-race. It's causing a major problems as I am streaming my races, but can't do it if it stops mid-flow every 45 seconds and then moves again.

Has anybody ever experienced this, or might know why it's happening? It's definitely not a circuit issue as it's doing it with every track.
I've never seen this either back in the 90s when I was playing gp2 on real dos, or since I've been playing it on dosbox. Maybe your dosbox is changing emulation cycles on its own because you have it on some sort of setting that allows this? I suggest trying setting it at a static value of cycles (something low) just to see if you get consistent performance. This would be a test to try and get consistent performance- not good performance. Have you made any changes lately? Possibly your host OS is making dosbox do this. What dosbox version are you using? Can you try a different one? Have you combed through your setting file in dosbox?
jakesanson
GP2 Acc

Post by jakesanson »

I'm afraid I know very little about the various settings.

I regularly used DosBox SVNDaum but then recently switched to the ECE version. Gameplay runs faster and smoother in ECE but it still slows to a half second halt and then continues. Really odd, and hasn't been happening long.

Might be worth a fresh install?
Find me on @jakesansonofficial or www.jakesanson.com
Voice of the FIA Karting World and European Championships, IAME Euro & Asia Series, and more.

Commentated at the British Grand Prix for Formula 1 in 2019 and the Le Mans 24 Hours for ACO in 2016. Yep, I can't believe it either.....

Come and play the RRML using Grand Prix 2 via Downforce Racing YouTube channel!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

jakesanson wrote:
31.05.2022, 19:19
I'm afraid I know very little about the various settings.

I regularly used DosBox SVNDaum but then recently switched to the ECE version. Gameplay runs faster and smoother in ECE but it still slows to a half second halt and then continues. Really odd, and hasn't been happening long.

Might be worth a fresh install?
Now might be a good time to learn about the settings in the ECE config file- it isn't that hard. There are constant updates to ECE with improvements all of the time. Maybe there is a bug in your version. There is an ECE status log that opens up when I run it in windows which you can see certain status and environment variables- maybe there is a clue there? It's hard to troubleshoot without being at your PC.