Tracks not loading

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
dm1957
GP2 Newbie

Tracks not loading

Post by dm1957 »

Hello

I have started using GP2 again after many years. I am having problems loading some tracks. All seems well until the point of going to the cockpit. There is just the track loading screen with "Please wait" and the game has stalled.

Has anybody experienced this. I wonder whether it is to do with corrupt jams? Any thoughts to cure would be most welcome.

Thanks.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Re: Tracks not loading

Post by rremedio »

Hi and welcome!

Which tracks are giving you these problems? Do these tracks work in Practice any Circuit mode and not in the race modes?

I experience this when the track has too many or too big jams.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
dm1957
GP2 Newbie

Post by dm1957 »

Hi thanks

That is a very good point. The two tracks I can immediately identify are the Long Paul Ricard both original and updated cc line version and long Interlagos. I tried the Paul Ricard and it works in practice mode but won't load for a race.
dm1957
GP2 Newbie

Post by dm1957 »

I don't know whats happening. My reply seems to need to be approved?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

dm1957 wrote:
28.02.2020, 18:19
I don't know whats happening. My reply seems to need to be approved?
Sorry. Your first three messages have to be approved manually, it is an anti-spam measure. You should be able to post without approval now.
dm1957 wrote:
28.02.2020, 15:27
Hi thanks

That is a very good point. The two tracks I can immediately identify are the Long Paul Ricard both original and updated cc line version and long Interlagos. I tried the Paul Ricard and it works in practice mode but won't load for a race.
That's odd. I remember using those tracks in race mode. But if they work in practice, it means it is indeed a jam size problem. I'm gonna check them tonight and see if I can fix it.
Early 90s F1 forever!
dm1957
GP2 Newbie

Post by dm1957 »

Many thanks for your thoughts. Are you sure its just jam size because I tried the 2018 Paul Ricard just posted by Antonio Pessoa and it works fine. Indeed all his tracks worked for me fine. Interlagos long would be great, it is a really important older track. I wanted to try it with the new cc line.

Many thanks for your thoughts and help and indeed your work.

David
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

dm1957 wrote:
28.02.2020, 19:50
Many thanks for your thoughts. Are you sure its just jam size because I tried the 2018 Paul Ricard just posted by Antonio Pessoa and it works fine. Indeed all his tracks worked for me fine. Interlagos long would be great, it is a really important older track. I wanted to try it with the new cc line.

Many thanks for your thoughts and help and indeed your work.

David
Many old tracks have big jam files with empty areas. These areas are useless for the track but they count to the total jam size. Antonio (and other track creators from the last 15 years for that matter) doesn't do that so he can make tracks that look better but still have a smaller jam size.
Early 90s F1 forever!
dm1957
GP2 Newbie

Post by dm1957 »

Ah, I see that makes sense. I will look forward to hearing from you when you have had a look. Another older one I tried with problems was Stone Mountain when I tried the newer cc line.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

This is weird. I haven't found any jams with extra empty spaces in both tracks. I also tested the tracks and they worked fine.

Did you install any extra graphics by replacing jams? Maybe custom crowds or tyres? What carset are you using? Some carsets overwrite jam files, I don't think they can increase the jam size but you never know.

Also, are you using GP2Lap?
Early 90s F1 forever!
dm1957
GP2 Newbie

Post by dm1957 »

I'm not usingGP2 Lap. Maybe the problem is that I am using the Best Oldgames download of GP2, which was easy to install and runs on Dosbox. Maybe I have to install again from my GP2 disc and setup dosbox from There? Most things have worked well with the way I installed the game. Should I run GP2 Lap anyway?
dm1957
GP2 Newbie

Post by dm1957 »

Oh the other thing is I haven't changed any jams except the odd horizon jam when they look better. I think that may have been the problem with the Stone Mountain track.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

dm1957 wrote:
29.02.2020, 08:59
I'm not usingGP2 Lap. Maybe the problem is that I am using the Best Oldgames download of GP2, which was easy to install and runs on Dosbox. Maybe I have to install again from my GP2 disc and setup dosbox from There? Most things have worked well with the way I installed the game. Should I run GP2 Lap anyway?
You should always use GP2Lap but I don't think that's the problem. I hoped the lack of DOS4GW (which is mandatory for GP2Lap to work) was causing some sort of memory shortage but that's not the case. The tracks work just fine without it.

I'm gonna check that GP2 package to see if I can find any problems.
Early 90s F1 forever!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Ok, I tried the GP2 from that site and apart from not being able to run setup.exe I had no problems, Interlagos worked fine. I really have no clue about what is happening to you.
Early 90s F1 forever!
dm1957
GP2 Newbie

Post by dm1957 »

I really appreciate you having a look. I will look into an alternative installation. I used the Best Old Games because it was simple and almost all editors work fine. Except it has to be said not GP2 Limit but now I have successfully used GP2STE4. Its strange because I ran the Interlagos 73 track okay in practice but again won't load in a race situation. Never mind I have 90 % of the game sorted. If I find a solution I will post in case anyone else has a similar problem.

While on very quickly is it possible to change a horizon from a single jam to two or three which there are some - Osterreichring, Dijon etc? Game can look better with these.

Best wishes

David
eky78
GP2 Gamer

Post by eky78 »

Welcome to the forum!

I don´t know how to solve it...but I´d suggest you to just reinstall GP2 again and put the files of the track that doesn´t work, without using any other editors or changing jams and see if it works.