GP2 Android

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
Manselltash
GP2 Newbie

GP2 Android

Post by Manselltash »

Hi peeps. Hope you're all enjoying the fab GP2 game ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘

My query, As well as running GP2 on my Windows PC, I'm also running the game on my Android phone & Android tablet through the programme 'Magic Dosbox'

I'm playing the base game but I'm pondering on maybe running different car sets and years which includes other tracks. I'm therefore thinking of modding the game on my PC then sending the file to my Android and trying it through the 'Magic Dosbox' Will this work ๐Ÿค”

Am I right in that you need to use GPedit, to mod the game, which I would do on my PC. But do you need GPedit activated as well while playing the game mod ๐Ÿค”
Obviously the latter would not be possible on my Androids as the GPedit is not useable on that system.
Unless someone one day can convert GPedit to use on Android ๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‚

What do you all think peeps. Advice and info well received ๐Ÿ‘
If I can't solve this or this can't be possible it's no problem. I'll just play the base game anyway on my Android.

Thanks Peeps for reading and any possible answers. Long live GP2 ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ‘‹
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

Re: GP2 Android

Post by roland ratzenberger »

hello mate, one of the advantages of gp2 is this. that you do not need any other program together with gp2 to run a mode version, something which happens quite a lot in gp4 for example. So if you mode the gp2 folder you wish to modify then you can pass this gp2 game folder and play it without any problems with no need gp2 edit on android.

i would like to ask how is the game experience on android. six months ago due to the fact that i travel a lot these days i was thinking of buying a small laptop such as Chromebook to play some games such as gp2. Instead because i didn't have very good reviews of chromebooks or android tablets in the matter of dos games i bought a simple hp stream pro 11 g4 windows laptop, which does the job quite nice and i also play other games such as football manager for example. However i would love to have a feedback from a person who plays gp2 specifically how is the game experience in adroid
Manselltash
GP2 Newbie

Post by Manselltash »

Thank you Roland for the reply. Good to know that I may be able to mod and play GP2 with another year version on my phone without the possible need of GPedit.

I have a detailed report for you and all on playing GP2 on Android. I'll come back in the next reply as it's a little detailed and want to make sure I get it right. So I'll write it out later and post back very soon ๐Ÿ‘
Manselltash
GP2 Newbie

Post by Manselltash »

I have X3 Android machines that I'm using. The one I'm mainly using, at present for GP2, is my budget phone (potato) which is a Nokia XR20. It's running GP2 okay with a few game alterations which I will explain more shortly. My other 2 machines are both singing and dancing Androids. One is a Motorola phone (no SIM card inserted) just for gaming and the other is a Samsung S8+ tablet, which is all powerful as well. I tried GP2 briefly on the tablet with all graphics coming out at full spec and giving out high eye candy in GP2. Not tried GP2 on the Motorola as yet though? The all powerful machines were bought for PS2 gaming on Android through the all powerful PS2 emulator called Aether Sx2. As the budget Nokia wasn't cutting it for Aether.

I'm running GP2 through the Magic Dosbox emulator but I think there's more dos emulators for Android but never tried.
The game runs okay with a few tweaks in the game and also in magic Dosbox. In the game graphics I run on svga with all track side objects at full. On the textures all are checked except for smoke and sky. In the mirror I only have draw track checked and In the textures as forward view, I have that unchecked.

In Magic dosbox you have a front menu like d-fend reloaded. You can therefore run the game with the default settings and you are able to tweak the memory, cpu and performance settings too in that front menu, amongst a couple of other basic settings. But if you scroll down to the bottom you can check the Expert commands box and go in to a more detailed dosbox config to tweak more settings. It's not a detailed config like a proper dosbox config file, but there's still some extra tweaks in there, like assigning a 4axis controller and setting the number of cycles. I found setting my cycles as high as 70000 have worked for me. Not sure that's too much though? In the game the frame rate was recommended at about 25 but I had to set that as low as about 12. I found out if I lowered the cycles in magic dosbox (from 70000) to lower and put my frame rate in game from 12 to say 17 the game ran slow and over 100 occupancy. At the moment with my settings it's between 60-85. Not tested Monaco though as yet and with extra cars on the start grid. So hold that thought ๐Ÿค”

One thing to note though is if you alter the expert config in Magic dosbox, you must, at the bottom of the config, write an auto exe for the game, for it to run automatic and with the adjusted config settings. Or else the game runs with the default front end limited Magic settings.

As far as the controller, I use a Bluetooth pad. Works great for steering in Analog mode, but I just can't get the throttle or break to run in analogue, so I'm running those in switched mode. On driver aids I don't use steering help, but use opposite lock, to help with the gamepad, as it's not a wheel. On throttle I run throttle help too, so I don't spin the wheels out in 1st gear in the switched mode.
Also what I found is if you check, use game pad, in the front end Magic dosbox menu, the range in the game controller calibration is very small. But in the expert config if you assign say a 4axis or auto setting for the controller, the range is full left and full right in the GP2 calibration screen. Which more drivable and controllable.

To the phone specs now. There's speculation whether Android needs a powerful chipset for Dosbox and I think it does, especially for GP2. So my chipset in my 2 powerful machines (Motorola and Samsung) are running the latest 1st series Snapdragon 8 series. That is what you need I think to go full power eye candy. On my budget Nokia though it's about a 4/5 snapdragon chipset. So almost half the power and down on the candy a little. But manageable and playable as I stated earlier.

My Control pads:

https://www.newegg.com/p/1YN-00TP-003V7

I also use a Gamesir controller type.

So that's it peeps. Hope this helps you out Roland and anybody else too. Happy gaming all and have fun in the playing of this classic game GP2. On whatever apparatus that you play it on. Cheers ๐Ÿ‘