Magic Data Editor

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
dammit6000
GP2 Newbie

Magic Data Editor

Post by dammit6000 »

I have downloaded Magic Data Editor Beta 1. I have been trying to move the slot 2 properties to slot 1, however the CC laptimes for the same track are much slower when in slot 1 and my times are slightly faster. When I import the properties back from gp2.exe it seems the transfer has worked but not in the game. Is there an update for the editor? Any ideas?
AAS
GP2 Star

Re: Magic Data Editor

Post by AAS »

I have exported different m2d's to slot 16 (the slowest slot) and drove some laps.
It worked in the game. No update needed.
dammit6000
GP2 Newbie

Post by dammit6000 »

Thanks for the reply. I havent tried it on the other slots. I wonder if its just slot 1 which behaves differently. The track is Kyalami. When in slot 2 originally the CCs were doing 1:10s in qual but after I swapped the slot 2 properties with slot 1 they do 1:14s. ] (*,)
Also I read an article about the CCs reaction time to entering the pits being stored in gp2.exe. It helps the CCs depending on whether the pitlane is on the left or right. I wonder if this is one of the unknowns.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Interesting.

It may be a bug in the editor, or a special slot 1 property. I'll check out next week (can't do it now).
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
dammit6000
GP2 Newbie

Post by dammit6000 »

Thanks rremedio.

I've managed to get the laptimes right by playing with the "qual timing" and "race timing" properties, but it appears there are some other variables affecting slot 1.
I have done some experimenting also. It seems that the "unknown 19" value does affect the reaction time to enter the pitlane. A lower value causes the CCs to respond much later to entering the pitlane. If its set too low they miss it and crash into the entrance, if its too high they spin off at the final corner before the pits.

Thanks again and good work for the editor. It has already helped me alot.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I did tests in slots 1 and 2 and it worked properly. I don't know what's happening in your gp2. If you want, you may zip you gp2.exe and send it to me.

About Unknown 19, you did a great service to all gp2 community. I've just checked it and it don't work in all slots with the editor becouse the editor uses a wrong logic for unknowns 19, 20 and 21, but thanks to your feedback we now have the location for the pit in and pit out distances for all slots!! I can't update the editor now (maybe in december), but I'm making a small and simpler tool so you guys can use the new factors.

Even if we don't know all the slot factor, we have enough for changing difficult level, laptimes and pit in/out behavior, that means that we can use any track in any slot now (except for those like Martjin Keizer's Zandvoort which gives graphic bugs in some slots).

That's great !
Early 90s F1 forever!
AAS
GP2 Star

Post by AAS »

we have enough for changing difficult level, laptimes and pit in/out behavior, that means that we can use any track in any slot now
:shock:

Great news!! \:D/ =D>
TdK
GP2 Pro

Post by TdK »

rremedio wrote:Even if we don't know all the slot factor, we have enough for changing difficult level, laptimes and pit in/out behavior, that means that we can use any track in any slot now (except for those like Martjin Keizer's Zandvoort which gives graphic bugs in some slots).
But this is due to the slot (13) where it's in made.... If you place my Zandvoort track in a other slot (1 or 2 - example) it will give graphic bugs too, on the pitlane entrance... :?

Rremedio:
Is your magix data editor also available for Win XP or Vista yet? I'm running XP, and it would become very in use for a trackmaker to edit those datas!

And one, maybe silly question, does the magic data editor changes values in Gp2.exe or in a F1ct**.dat track file??? :-k
TdK - (re)tired GrandPrix 2 manic!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

The editor runs in XP and Vista. But there are some dependencies needed (see AAS's downloads page). I think next version will run in win98 as well. I hope, at least.
Early 90s F1 forever!
AAS
GP2 Star

Post by AAS »

does the magic data editor changes values in Gp2.exe or in a F1ct**.dat track file???
exe
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

AAS wrote:
does the magic data editor changes values in Gp2.exe or in a F1ct**.dat track file???
exe
Yes, I didn't notice the question :oops: It changes the .exe.

I've done more tests and there are really small differences between slots, even with the same data.

As I can't update the editor for now (Visual C++ not installed on my pc), I've created a script that updates the exe with magic data stored in text files, just like in GP3. It was made in Ruby, and becouse there is no proper r for that language, the file is a bit large. But it's very simple and as soon as possible there will be an update for the editor or for this script.

http://quickgp2.net46.net/files/GP2MDex_b1.zip

Please take a look at the readme before using it.

I'm posting it here so you can test it faster.
Early 90s F1 forever!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Well, I've found a bug. Don't use value 10 (you may use 9 or 11) for any factor please. It will be fixed till monday.
Early 90s F1 forever!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

The fixed version. Did anyone test it?

http://quickgp2.net46.net/files/GP2MDex_b1_1.zip
Early 90s F1 forever!
AAS
GP2 Star

Post by AAS »

I made some experiments with GP2MDex_b1_1.
I wanted to try out the "distance to pit in".

An example:
The recommended slot for Issoire is slot 12.
In slot 1 the CC's can't enter the pitlane. They crash straight against the wall.

Then I have edited the line:
44 ;distance to pit in (track units??) (slot 1 original setting)
to
32 ;distance to pit in (track units??) (slot 12 original setting)
and then exported the new data to slot 1.

and it works perfect \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D>

Thanks to dammit6000 for the "unknown 19" idea. =D>

And a BIG thank you very much to rremedio for this little but fantastic script!!!!

Code: Select all

(track units??) 
Yes, I think so.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Thanks for the feedback, Andreas :)
Early 90s F1 forever!