Magic Data and GP2 Physics

Here you can post everything that fits in the topic "GP2 Screenshots & GP2 Patcher"
HF
GP2 Star

Re: Magic Data and GP2 Physics

Post by HF »

rremedio wrote:90% ready! :)

It imports and exports data, save and load files and you can edit data in the program interface. I just need to create a .ini file, so it can remmember the gp2.exe location and write some documentation about it. I think it will be released tomorow. \:D/
Quite nice news! I really like to discover the efects it'll have on the game...
- . -
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

The program is complete, I just need to finish the documentation. I'm thinking about writing a small example tutorial on using it.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
TdK
GP2 Pro

Post by TdK »

rremedio wrote:The program is complete, I just need to finish the documentation. I'm thinking about writing a small example tutorial on using it.
So, finally the "magic" data isn't that magic anymore... :D
TdK - (re)tired GrandPrix 2 manic!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I've just sent it to Andreas. I hope you like it. The documentation is brief, but I think the program is very easy to use. Please tell me about the bugs. And remmember, I'm a newbie in making programs. :D
Early 90s F1 forever!
HF
GP2 Star

Post by HF »

rremedio wrote:I've just sent it to Andreas. I hope you like it. The documentation is brief, but I think the program is very easy to use. Please tell me about the bugs. And remmember, I'm a newbie in making programs. :D
BTW: On witch OS did you test the program?
- . -
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Only with Win XP. It should work in Vista as well. In Win98 I think it may not work, but I'm not sure.
Early 90s F1 forever!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I'm already working in the Physics Editor.

Strang things happen... :mrgreen:
Early 90s F1 forever!
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Nice to see that there are still even more things possible with the GP2.exe =D>

Too bad Geoff Grammond doesn`t release the source code, that would make additions like that much easier :D

Great job
AAS
GP2 Star

Post by AAS »

I use GP2 Magic Data Editor Beta 1 under Vista Home Premium.

First it did not work.
Then I have installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
everything works fine now :D

Maybe we should write this info in the readme and site (http://grandprix2.de/Util/util.htm)

Does the Magic Data Editor work under xp? Or is the Visual C++ package also needed?
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

I guess it's all about the libraries the C++-code uses. If the library (something like stdio.h etc) is not on the system, the program probably doesn't run. So actually it would be enough, to include the library in the zip and write into the readme, in which folder it has to be copied.
Visit my website: FK's sportscar project
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I didn't know that. I'll chance the .zip file.
Early 90s F1 forever!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Redistributable Package is also needed in Win XP, while I don't make an instalattion setup program, people will have to download the package as well. :(
Early 90s F1 forever!
MaxD
GP2 Starter

Post by MaxD »

hi guys..what a busy few days I've had!
just a quickie...
i'm no expert in the technical side of stuff like this source code thing you're all sorting but, and this is probably a stupid question, have any of you tried to find Geoff Crammonds email address to ask him if the source code for gp2.exe can be released to us?
I just can't help but wonder if he may do so, after all, he's not doing anything with it so it seems pointless keeping it to himself....

Max
"There's nothing wrong with the car in front except that it's on fire!!!!!!!!!!!"
Murray Walker
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

They say GP2 was writen in Assembly. I don't have a clue on how to understand a program in Assembly. I have a "disassembled" version of the code which was sent to me by SDI, but it didn't help much.

What I do is hack the .exe using the clues left by the real programmers who made GP2Edit, the Car Editor, etc...

But I think a real programmer would do wonders with the source code.
Early 90s F1 forever!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

@Andreas: I think is better to put the link in the site and in the readme for now. The physics editor will also need the same files. I hope a friend of mine will test the program in his PC tomorow, so maybe we can find the exact dlls are required by the program.

I've read some sites talking about this subject and seems like Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) will make the program run in all windows versions since win98, what I think is a good "side effect".

I don't have the complete Visual C++ which would let me create a nice setup.exe file to distribute the program. My version is Visual C++ Express which is free, but it doesn't have the "create installer" option.

I did more testing with the Physics Editor today and I'm convinced it's very similar to GP3 and GP4, so maybe in the future we'll be able to use GP3 and GP4 physics files. Even if they won't give us the exact same effect.

My favorite settings are the "braking force" and the various downforce settings. I didn't find the tyre settings yet
Early 90s F1 forever!