Steering Wheel Problem

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
GavJ1981
GP2 Newbie

Steering Wheel Problem

Post by GavJ1981 »

Hi everyone.

Hopefully a really silly question that is easily answered but being i noob means i don't know the answer! I have purchased a Thrustmaster T80 Ferrari Edition for GP2. I have set it up using Vjoy and UCR and it works very well for the driving element. My problem is that i don't know how to navigate the cockpit menu when using the wheel. I can exit the pits by clicking the paddles because that is the default option but i can't find a way to move up and down the list to car set up or fuel etc. I've tried every button on the wheel but they don't work and the keyboard keys don't function either (apart from space bar to pause). Being the Ferrari edition it doesn't have a D-pad on the wheel.

Does anyone have an answer please?

Thanks very much.
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Re: Steering Wheel Problem

Post by samsepi0l »

I have logitech wheel/pedals- but on mine to go up and down I tap the gas or brake.
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

Hello! I watched your first post the other day and still I haven't got the time to comment, which I will eventually.
I can't really help, as I'm still playing with keyboard (eventually I'll get a wheel :) ). Are you using just DosBOX or D-Fend Reloaded too? I re-started playing almost 10 years ago and I play occasionally - I think in D-Fend Reloaded there is an option allowing to change the keys function, and I once meddled with it. I think it's somewhere in the Run menu. Perhaps this could somehow "obey" to the steering wheel?

But this is just guessing. I hope someone more knowledgeable gets here!
GavJ1981
GP2 Newbie

Post by GavJ1981 »

Thank you both.

So it turns out a quick press on the throttle and brake works for me too. It was just my long presses that were the problem. Same as when I used to use the joystick really but many years have passed since then!

Thanks again.
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

my pleasure - anything to get people back into gp2!!!!
bernieGP
GP2 Newbie

Post by bernieGP »

Hi. I bought a Thrustmaster T128 knowing that it could be a long shot to have it working with GP2... and indeed I have some issues.
I am playing DOS games with an old laptop still fitted with Windows 7 (I don't use that PC for anything else).
Having contacted Thrustmaster, there is no driver for T128 before Windows 10. They told me to still try to connect the wheel directly but the 'automatic' driver cannot be installed. It's funny because the wheel still turns full left, full right, then back in central position + some lights working when I plug the USB. After that, nothing : when I run GP2 and try to calibrate a wheel nothing happens.
Some first questions :
1) I am using DOSBox to play GP2 (and it works fine). What is with DOSBox_ECE ? What difference and is it madatory to have that version to operate a wheel ?
2) In order to use a wheel with DOSBox, does the wheel first have to be properly installed with a driver in Windows environment on the PC ?
Note : I have set I cannot remember which pramater as 'false' in the config file, as I read somewhere.
Thanks for any possible help.
My alternative option is of course to use DOSBox and the wheel on my more recent Windows 11 laptop (to install the proper driver) + but an external CD-ROM player to use the original GP2 CD-ROM).
Cheers.

PS : my son would dream of having F1 2023 for Christmas... as my laptop doesn't have a decent enough graphic card, I was hoping to suprise him with GP2 + wheel... and between us I think he will have twice more fun with the unique-best-for-ever F1 simulation :)
Aerond
GP2 Starter

Post by Aerond »

DosBox-Ece makes super easy to use any wheel with Grand Prix 2. I have my T300 set up with 3 pedals working with no issues in Grand Prix 2.

DosBox-Ece differs from vanilla in that adds support for up to 10 joystick axis and 2 D-Pads simultaneously, which allows for GP2 to treat your wheel and pedals as separate joystick axis without issues.
bernieGP
GP2 Newbie

Post by bernieGP »

Thanks mate.
Did you have to first install a driver on your Windows PC for your T300 ?
In my case (Windows 7 PC) there is no driver for the T128.
I did install ECE however. Is my config file still the one from the my original DoxBox 0.74-3 folder ("DosBox 0.74-3 options") ? Or is it somewhere else (for one thing I don't find it in the recent DosBox ECE folder/files)?
And at the end of the day, which true/false settings should I use in the config file?

In parallel, on my Windows 11 PC, I did manage to install the driver for the T128.
But when I am in the GP2 game, in the joystick settings, I am some move of the red dot when moving left / right but not enough to validate calibration. Any idea here ?

Thanks !
bernieGP
GP2 Newbie

Post by bernieGP »

Progress of the day (on the Windows 11 PC).
Thrustmaster T128 properly configurated on Windows and operational.
DosBox ECE installed.
When I calibrate the wheel in GP2 game, everything works... apart from the brake axis !?
It is so frustrtating because all the rest works.
I have tried many of the options (true/flase) in DosBox config file as well as various settings in the calibration page of GP2, such as explained in the great Ted Meat video on YouTube.
bernieGP
GP2 Newbie

Post by bernieGP »

Not good enough at DosBox, I just realized that some actions were needed on the keymapper (CTRL-F1) !?
And not only defining parameters in the config file !!
New hopes…
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

brake axis for me was left/right when I used my pedal.
bernieGP
GP2 Newbie

Post by bernieGP »

OK guys, I am happy to say that I finally succeded setting my brand new Thrustmaster T128 !!
Thank you all for all the 'material' existing in this unique forum, I couldn't have done it without this and many hours.

For maybe future users benefits, not 100% used to DosBox etc..., here are my stettings and steps.
1/ T128 must be installed on a Windows 10 minimum PC (no driver before this) ;
2/ in the Trustmaster program, calibrate the wheel indeed with 300° steering, check buttons and pedals ;
3/ run DosBox, hit CTRL-F1 ;
4/ for the controller 1/2, I have X- and X+ for left/right and button 1 for downshit and 2 for upshift ;
5/ for the controller 3/4, I have Y+ for brake pedal and X+ for accelerator pedal ; save, exit ;
-- in the key mapper, select a key, press ADD, do the relevant action on the wheel, then select another key, press add etc... --
6/ mount the drives, run GP2.exe ;
7/ in GP, calibrate the first available joystick + select control driven calibration below in the same zone ;
8/ Joystick A Horizontal for left/right* ;
9/ Joystick A vertical for acceletation* ;
10/ Joystick B Horizontal for brake ;*
11/ Joystick A fire 2 for upshift, fire 1 for down shift ;
12/ calibrate the wheel (for braking it is shicking to have the red dot going left... but it works in the game !?).
* for all these places you need indeed to find the sensibility you will like in the game... just test it and change it, like a real F1 driver.

I absolutely stink in the game at the moment compared to keyboard but I guess it will all come back.

What I like here, of course it is the travel in time with my childhood, but also being able to play a real game without an account, without a credit card, without internet... the hell with all this !!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

gp2 is very hard with a wheel and pedals- but very satisfying
bernieGP
GP2 Newbie

Post by bernieGP »

I was super good at the time with my Thrustmaster T2 so I hope it is just a matter of time :)
bernieGP
GP2 Newbie

Post by bernieGP »

Do I "cheat" if I still use the F7 control help in the game with the wheel ?
I thought I was using the game without any help 25y ago (I am sure for F1 to F6) but now I wonder about F7... the game seems almost impossible without it. Am I the only one ? Should I try to persevere without it or do I play "for real" if I use F7 help ?