New to here

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
Den959
GP2 Newbie

New to here

Post by Den959 »

Hello I'm new to here and I'm having a grate time racing in F2 however i" having problems loading new tracks and new car sets. any advice would be welcome. Thanks
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Re: New to here

Post by rremedio »

Hi and welcome!

For installing carsets you need GP2Edit. It's also desirable to have the Car Editor, so you can also update car shapes.

Installing/using GP2Edit: go to the GP2Edit page and download GP2ED186_zipped. Extract it to a folder (I have an Edit folder inside my GP2 folder for that), open gp2ed32.exe and set the path to your GP2.exe. To install a carset, click Open, choose a carset file to load, then hit Export (the blue error pointed upwards to a GP2 logo). Mark "Select All" and click the Export button. The process for the Carshape Editor is basically the same.

Installing tracks: I won't cover installing a track without GP2Lap. It is just not worth it.

1. Install GP2Lap: go to the GP2Lap page, download GP2Lap and dos4gw. Extract all files to your GP2 folder (they must be in the same folder as GP2.exe). From now on, you should run GP2Lap.exe instead of GP2.exe.

2. Installing tracks: every track has a .dat file (track file) and several .jam files (texture packages).
- Step 1: Open the .zip file from the track download, extract the .dat file to your Circuits folder
- Step 2: Check if there is a folder with .jad or .jam files inside the zip file. If there is one, extract it to your GAMEJAMS folder. If not, check the GP2Form or Readme file to learn what is the folder name, then create a folder with that name inside your GAMEJAMS folder and extract all jad/jam files to that new folder. In the case of .jad files, also extract convert.exe or GP2JadJamConv.exe to that folder too. Then you have two options to convert the .jad into .jam files. If the files are already jam files, you can skip to Step 3.
-option 1: open DOSBOX, navigate to your jams folder (using DOS command "cd"). When you are in that folder, type convert.exe. Wait til it finishes.
-option 2: if you don't have it, download GP2JadJamConv.exe, extract it to the track jam folder. Open it, hit JAD to JAM and wait til it finishes.
- Step 3: go back to your circuits folder, you have two options:
-option 1: let's say you want your new track to run into slot 3. Rename F1CT03.DAT to something else (like Imola.dat), then rename the track you want to run to F1CT03.DAT
-option 2: make sure your track file name has at most 8 digits, like 12345678.dat. Go to your GP2 folder and open GP2Lap.cfg with a text editor. Edit the line f1ct03 = "circuits\f1ct03.dat" and change it to f1ct03 = "circuits\12345678.dat".

Now just open DosBox and run GP2Lap.exe. Now GP2 will start with your track loaded.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
Den959
GP2 Newbie

Re: New to here

Post by Den959 »

Excellent!! Thanks for your help. I'm up and going!