dosbox ece or dosbox svn daum..

Here you can present your WIP or new cars and/or stuff you made for GP2
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

dosbox ece or dosbox svn daum..

Post by roland ratzenberger »

can anyone tell me which are the main differences bewteen this 2 versions. further more svn daum also has the maximize option on the window menu something which dos box ece does not have. for me this is quite handy. can anyone know how i can make it also in dos box ece
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Re: dosbox ece or dosbox svn daum..

Post by samsepi0l »

maximize window is done with ECE by pressing "alt and enter" at the same time. hit "alt and enter" again and it will shrink the window again.

I use ECE and it works fantastic for me. I don't know the differences so much but the educated folks at dosbox forum seem to really put DAUM down for some reason.
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

hey mate.. well i know what you say about alt enter but in some very rare occasion this cause crashes in one of my machines when i returned to the windows screen after the game.. by using svn daum in that pc i have not that problem anymore . i also use dosboxece in other pcs and i have to say that BOTH DAUM AND ECE works a lot better when it comes to time factor than the default version of dos box. just play a track in daum and ece and then in default dos box and you will notice the difference.

in any case i cannot see why some many people as you say are so biased against daum and so favoured to ece.. the ONLY thing that i personally noticed is that the graphics in full screen mode are better in ece (less pixelized to explain this better). if anyone knows better this differences feel free to explain to us
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I used Daum for a while and I never had any problems. Then I tested ECE and I liked it better because it felt a bit more smooth and it looked maybe a bit better. But Daum was also good for me.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

roland ratzenberger wrote:
03.12.2019, 23:28
in any case i cannot see why some many people as you say are so biased against daum and so favoured to ece.. the ONLY thing that i personally noticed is that the graphics in full screen mode are better in ece (less pixelized to explain this better). if anyone knows better this differences feel free to explain to us
I don't understand either, but the community at VOGONS is rather educated and opinionated.

Personally, I like the idea of having save states like DAUM has. This would help me with the other game I play- ICR2. It would be nice to save races part way though, because I race full 100% race lengths, and the 500 mile races get long sometimes.
GP2tifoso28
GP2 Starter

Post by GP2tifoso28 »

From my point of view I only chose ECE because the vogons people seemed really against DAUM (?) and samsepi advised me that ECE also solved the speed issue, which was my main motivation to change dosbox versions in the first place.

I'm happy with ECE as it solved the issue and have no complaints about it. I wasn't able to ascertain why DAUM was so hated, a lot of people seem to use it and are happy with it. But the hate is very real, I even tried to enquire about it on the vogons forum and was met with a rather hostile response
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

GP2tifoso28 wrote:
27.12.2019, 05:09
From my point of view I only chose ECE because the vogons people seemed really against DAUM (?) and samsepi advised me that ECE also solved the speed issue, which was my main motivation to change dosbox versions in the first place.

I'm happy with ECE as it solved the issue and have no complaints about it. I wasn't able to ascertain why DAUM was so hated, a lot of people seem to use it and are happy with it. But the hate is very real, I even tried to enquire about it on the vogons forum and was met with a rather hostile response

hello mate.. personally as i have said i use both .. in one pc i use daum and in other pc i use ece.. i completely gave up and the 0.74 version.. the only thing which is better in ece is the graphics.. not a big difference but there is a differrence... apart from this the time factor is solved in both versions so i cannot understand which is the problem with daum taking into account that so many people HATE IT..
GP2tifoso28
GP2 Starter

Post by GP2tifoso28 »

roland ratzenberger wrote:
28.12.2019, 16:02
GP2tifoso28 wrote:
27.12.2019, 05:09

hello mate.. personally as i have said i use both .. in one pc i use daum and in other pc i use ece.. i completely gave up and the 0.74 version.. the only thing which is better in ece is the graphics.. not a big difference but there is a differrence... apart from this the time factor is solved in both versions so i cannot understand which is the problem with daum taking into account that so many people HATE IT..
I agree mate I was also quite confused and perplexed about it, which was why I asked about it on the vogons forum. I think one thread was closed immediately and the other one was met with a less than hospitable response. Seems a bit strange to me
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

It has been a few years, and I heard about dosbox X, and dosbox staging.... I tried dosbox X, and for some reason it runs slower for me... the processor occupancy stays below 100%, but the time to complete a lap longer than in real life. I tested Michael82's Monaco - where on screen cockpit times show about 1m24s, and in real life timed with my stopwatch cars lap at 1m40s. I was able to make this go faster by increasing cycles.

This was documented elsewhere, but I only saw it here: https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/issues/3211

My motivation to find a new dosbox option is so I can get something that works as well as my dosbox ECE, but has save-states. I know with GP2 we can save in the middle of a race, so it isn't that bad but I play a LOT of ICR2 and this has no option to save like GP2 has.