GP2 modding to a newbie

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
neilwhitedesign
GP2 Newbie

GP2 modding to a newbie

Post by neilwhitedesign »

Hello

I've recently installed GP2 on a Windows 7 PC and would like to set it up to play the 1989 F1 season.

I was wondering if there was a guide anywhere that can tell me which utilities and add-ons are essential to install.

Also what I would need to create a playable representation of the 1989 season (accurate team and driver performance, correct circuits, 9 points for a win, no refuelling, wet weather etc. ).

Thanks
ismael
GP2 Racer

Re: GP2 modding to a newbie

Post by ismael »

Hello, welcome and good luck for your 1989 season!

Although I talk a lot here, I'm a kind of a newbie so I might be forgetting files and tutorials. I don't think there is a guide, but you can start with this http://grandprix2.de/Carsets/csF1/csf11980.htm and this http://grandprix2.de/Util/util.htm.

The first link shows you the 1989 carsets, which will replace the original carset provided with the game.
The second link has the most important utilities and, as you installed the game, the most important will be the second one, GP2edit by Steven Young, which will allow you to replace carset, edit the carsets and many more.

I'll give way for other more well-informed contributors. I know little about wet weather. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's not possible to have disqualifications for cutting the Casio Triangle chicane in Grand Prix 2.

By the way, we had here a recent contribution from a player having done the 1989 season http://grandprix2.de/gp2forum/viewtopic ... 2&start=60 in later posts.
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

Post by roland ratzenberger »

hello friend and welcome on board.. you need 2 very important things. the first is the 1989 carset.. i syggest to download the FORMULA 1-1989 SEASON from aygusto lopez.. you will find it in the carset section.. secondly you need the gp2 edit version http://grandprix2.de/Util/gp2edit/gp2edit.html..due to the fact that you have windows 7 i believe it is better to download the zipped version.. feel free to ask any question
neilwhitedesign
GP2 Newbie

Thanks very much for your replies and warm welcomes Ismael and roland, it's good to know there's still an active community for the game.

I was a big fan of GP1 on the Amiga back in the 90s and had Oliver Roberts' excellent editor to update the game to (then) current seasons, so GP2 will seem leagues ahead in Graphics quality!

I've followed your advice and downloaded the 1989 carset, GP2 Edit and the all the items from the Editors, Patches and Utilities page.
When I have time I will start installing them.

Could you please advise which are the essential patches and utilities I will need to install before I start playing the game.

Thanks
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

i suggest download gp2 lap.. even thought i am one of those that I do not use it.. i have seen that it has very nice things to add on..

just to let you know there also updates coming out for f1gp.. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
neilwhitedesign
GP2 Newbie

Thanks for the tip Roland.
I've downloaded gp2 lap, so will aim to give it a try over the weekend (once I've watched the BTCC highlights).

I'm looking forward to getting into the game, I'd just like any potential mod glitches to be bottomed out before I attempt a full season.

I'm intrigued what the updates could be for f1gp, can you tell me more???
neilwhitedesign
GP2 Newbie

After installing GP2 Edit I've loaded the 1989 mod and been trying to create a new helmet design, but without success.

If I edit the '1989helmets_nt12' file in Photoshop, when I try to load it into GP2 Edit, it just brings up the error message 'Couldn't load Bitmap'.
Alternatively, if I edit the bmp in Paint, it does load into GP2 Edit, but the colours are all messed up.

I've even tried starting from a blank document, but the end result is still the same ](*,)

Can anyone advise on the best image editor to create helmets in?

Thanks
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

neilwhitedesign wrote:
05.07.2019, 15:14
Thanks for the tip Roland.
I've downloaded gp2 lap, so will aim to give it a try over the weekend (once I've watched the BTCC highlights).

I'm looking forward to getting into the game, I'd just like any potential mod glitches to be bottomed out before I attempt a full season.

I'm intrigued what the updates could be for f1gp, can you tell me more???
https://sites.google.com/view/f1gpwc/fi ... ve/carsets here it is mate
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

neilwhitedesign wrote:
06.07.2019, 00:26
After installing GP2 Edit I've loaded the 1989 mod and been trying to create a new helmet design, but without success.

If I edit the '1989helmets_nt12' file in Photoshop, when I try to load it into GP2 Edit, it just brings up the error message 'Couldn't load Bitmap'.
Alternatively, if I edit the bmp in Paint, it does load into GP2 Edit, but the colours are all messed up.

I've even tried starting from a blank document, but the end result is still the same ](*,)

Can anyone advise on the best image editor to create helmets in?

Thanks
Sorry... don't know much about that point. As there are many helmets available http://grandprix2.de/helm/helm_driver.htm, as well as the helmets available in the carsets, I didn't try to go further regarding helmet - but that's because I'm not a designer myself, anyway.
neilwhitedesign
GP2 Newbie

Thanks very much for the additional help.
Apologies for not replying sooner, but I've been busy with other things these past few weeks (oh to be 12 again!).

I managed to find a solution to the helmet designer issue by installing Irfanview and extracting the correct palette.

Over the weekend I finally managed to find some time to start the 1989 season, beginning with the Brazilian Grand Prix at Rio, using the Jacarepagua, Rio de Janeiro 1989 circuit by Antonio Pessoa and Peter L Kessler.

Though the qualifying times seemed a few seconds quicker than reality, everything was going fine in the race until the start of the pit stops.
For some reason, on their lap prior to coming into the pits, the computer cars all carry on at unabated speed and don't attempt to slow down for the 1st gear left hander before the pits (please see the image).

Rio.jpg

This means that this corner has claimed most of the field at the first round of pit stops, with just a handful not retiring.

I've looked through the forum and Googled for a similar issue, but I can't find anything, so I was wondering if anyone knew what could have gone wrong and possibly offer suggestions to resolve it.

Failing that, it's an easy win for me and a debut victory for the Lotus-Judd \:D/

Thanks

Neil
DaSilva82
GP2 Starter

Post by DaSilva82 »

Hey Neil,

This issue can be solved with slot&tyre editor.
With this program you can import the Magic data from each slot.
On the right side of the table you can find the "distance to pit in" section. Lower the value to the right number and the cc will enter the pit in a normal way.
You can also play around with the "pit in speed" value to reduce or increase the cc speed when they enter the pits.

Good luck!!
The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose.
neilwhitedesign
GP2 Newbie

That's brilliant, thanks so much for the info.

I've downloaded the Slot & Tyre Editor, but I'm just wondering with regards the "distance to pit in", is it just a case of trial and error, or is there a way to work out the correct number required for the circuit?

Also, with the "Qual Timing" and "Race Timing" section, if I wanted to slow the pace by say 5 seconds per lap, do you know what value would I need to adjust it by?

Thanks

Neil
DaSilva82
GP2 Starter

Post by DaSilva82 »

I don't know if there is a mathematical way to get the right number. I always raise or lower the value, start gp2 and see how the CC reacts to the changes I made. Zo yes, trial and error.

To slow the pace with 5 seconds I think you should lower the values with something like 1000 points. But it's the same as with the pit problem. Trial and error!
The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose.
neilwhitedesign
GP2 Newbie

Thanks for the clarification.

I'll have a play with both values over the weekend and see what happens...