GP2 Overlay - Rotating steering wheels and more

Here you can present your WIP or new cars and/or stuff you made for GP2
rremedio
GP2 Legend

GP2 Overlay - Rotating steering wheels and more

Post by rremedio »

This is a very old project. I haven't updated it in the past 1-2 years because my initial idea of hacking DosBOX opengl or directx calls to put graphics in the game wasn't working very well. But recently I learned how to create an overlay window attached to a program and decided to give it a shot (requires DosBOX, windowed mode for now).

For now, it only displays a steering wheel in cockpit mode and some info (car number, position, best lap, last lap) in external view mode. I still have to copy the auto-DRS code from the old version to this one (it adds DRS to the game, but it has automatic activation/deactivation). I was also experimenting with a few other things in the older version like replacing GP2 way to generate car failures with a better one, as well as the same thing for pit stop strategies calculation (less random, more parameters to chose).

The wheel should be bigger and it has an ugly white outline, but that's just a test.

Idk when this will be ready for release, I need to organize a roadmap because there are many possible features and I'm kinda just doing random stuff for now.

Check ou the video
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Re: GP2 Overlay - Rotating steering wheels and more

Post by Michael82 »

Very nice news! When you talk about pit strategies do you think it would be possible to assign different tyres strategies for each drivers?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Michael82 wrote:
16.05.2019, 20:03
Very nice news! When you talk about pit strategies do you think it would be possible to assign different tyres strategies for each drivers?
No. I think that would be possible with GP2Lap, maybe. My program can monitor and change some values in real time, but for different tyres it would require some changes in the GP2 code flow. So it needs something that can hook code in GP2 (like GP2Lap does), you won't be able to do it by changing memory values or hex editing the exe.

I had an idea of faking it by changing tyre wear and grip in real time, but I don't know if it would work and it would be a demanding task.
Early 90s F1 forever!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

Nice! Personally I would rather have tires that move (like ICR2 has) instead, but that's really awesome.
rodrigoo90
GP2 Starter

Post by rodrigoo90 »

Nunca ia imaginar uma coisa dessa no GP2! Muito legal! Outra coisa que reparei foi a pista de Paul Ricard atual, não sabia que havia feito!
I would never imagine such a thing in GP2! Very cool! Another thing I noticed was the 2018 Paul Ricard track version, I didn't know I had done!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

samsepi0l wrote:
16.05.2019, 22:59
Nice! Personally I would rather have tires that move (like ICR2 has) instead, but that's really awesome.
They are on my wishlist, together with moving suspension. They are a bit more tricky because we need to draw a full cockpit since the suspension and the tires must be drawn behind the cockpit (if we draw it on top of the existing GP2 cockpit, it will be harder to make them look like they are behind).

Technically, we can have full 3D cockpits and wheels btw. But that's not something I want to deal with for now.
rodrigoo90 wrote:
17.05.2019, 00:01
Nunca ia imaginar uma coisa dessa no GP2! Muito legal! Outra coisa que reparei foi a pista de Paul Ricard atual, não sabia que havia feito!
I would never imagine such a thing in GP2! Very cool! Another thing I noticed was the 2018 Paul Ricard track version, I didn't know I had done!
There are a few new track updates and new tracks in the Tracks topic. Paul Ricard has very simple scenery but it is useable =)

Há algumas atualizações de pistas e novas pistas no tópico de pistas. Paul Ricard está com cenário bem simples, mas da para usar =)
Early 90s F1 forever!
minardi
GP2 Starter

Post by minardi »

Wow. Outstanding work. It's amazing what Grand Prix 2 has become today
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

Yes it seems difficult to touch the GP2's code or Gp2lap. Your implementations are awesome.
Do you think it would be possible to insert pictures of drivers or Tv style 2019 (or older) with your GP2 overlay?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Michael82 wrote:
17.05.2019, 05:57
Yes it seems difficult to touch the GP2's code or Gp2lap. Your implementations are awesome.
Do you think it would be possible to insert pictures of drivers or Tv style 2019 (or older) with your GP2 overlay?
Well, GP2Lap is now open source. We just need a talented coder to join us :D I tried to make sense of it and its source code helps me understand a lot of things about GP2, but I still can't grasp how I should make changes to it.

TV Styles and driver pictures will be possible and I hope to provide an easy way for people to add their own tv styles. At first, there will be an annoying limitation because you won't be able to use semi-transparent images (but you can use images with fully transparent pixels as I do in my steering wheel). This limitation can be overcome in the future by using a .net WPF window for the overlay instead of the SDL window I use now (actually, I use a Ruby game framework called Gosu). If I made this change now, progress would be very very slow, so I rather keep going with the tools I'm most familiar with.

At least we don't need to keep GP2 color limitations on the overlay, so that's nice.
Early 90s F1 forever!
DaSilva82
GP2 Starter

Post by DaSilva82 »

Keep up the good work man. This looks absolutely brilliant!
The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose.
eky78
GP2 Gamer

Post by eky78 »

wow...maybe it´s time to start calling it GP2.5 :) :) :) :)
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Thanks guys! I hoped to make progress this weekend but I got carried away with other stuff and I needed some rest. Next weekend, hopefully.
Early 90s F1 forever!
Philip00
GP2 Newbie

Post by Philip00 »

rremedio wrote:
16.05.2019, 20:52
Michael82 wrote:
16.05.2019, 20:03
No. I think that would be possible with GP2Lap, maybe. My program can monitor and change some values in real time, but for different tyres it would require some changes in the GP2 code flow. So it needs something that can hook code in GP2 (like GP2Lap does), you won't be able to do it by changing memory values or hex editing the exe.

I had an idea of faking it by changing tyre wear and grip in real time, but I don't know if it would work and it would be a demanding task.
How coool. Do you think that is possible not even assign different tyre strategy to each AI but force them to use multiple tyre compound?

Did you really imolement DRS?

You are really cool man gp2 is awesome!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Philip00 wrote:
13.06.2019, 09:13
How coool. Do you think that is possible not even assign different tyre strategy to each AI but force them to use multiple tyre compound?

No. For now, we are stuck with 1 compound all cars. Maybe it could be changed with GP2Lap or maybe we could fake multiple compounds with my application, but those are giant maybes.

Yes, drs works fine. It is auto drs tho, you don't get to activate/deactivate it by yourself. And it will break some replays.

=)
Early 90s F1 forever!
Philip00
GP2 Newbie

Post by Philip00 »

rremedio wrote:
14.06.2019, 01:13
Philip00 wrote:
13.06.2019, 09:13

No. For now, we are stuck with 1 compound all cars. Maybe it could be changed with GP2Lap or maybe we could fake multiple compounds with my application, but those are giant maybes.

Yes, drs works fine. It is auto drs tho, you don't get to activate/deactivate it by yourself. And it will break some replays.

=)
That is awesome. An the DRS is working in a "DRS zones"?

Also in the race the did you manage teh DRS rules applies (only the driver can use who is whithin one sec to the car in front)?

I am looking forward to try this man,