How do i get realistic Grip Levels

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
Tommi870
GP2 Newbie

How do i get realistic Grip Levels

Post by Tommi870 »

Hey guys, believe it or not i finally managed to edit GP2 again. \:D/ \:D/

I have a question concerning GP2 edit now. When you load a Carset, usually the grip level for your own car is set at 198. So it doesn't make a difference if i drive an 1988 Mclaren or a 1988 Backbencher. The car handles the same way, right?
So my question would be, how can i get some sort of realistic Grip levels? Is there any formula or soemthing on how i have to set the grip level so that it corresponds to the grip levels of the computer cars?
AD
GP2 Acc

Re: How do i get realistic Grip Levels

Post by AD »

It should be hard to come up with a formula. As far as I remember, the grip factor for the computer cars is not defined by a carset, but specified in the .dat file for a track (which could be changed with the Track Editor). This would mean that all computer cars have the same grip level (adjustment). So the easiest outcome would be to look up what the cc cars get in the track file, and then adjust the player car's "Grip Factor" in the carset to the same value with GP2Edit.

The "Grip Factor" value ranges from 100 to 1000. The tricky bit is that this does not indicate the car's grip, but how much a value you don't edit is being modified... that is, decreased. The bigger this number, the more it will reduce the grip. So 100 are as good as it gets, 198 is very close to that and a setting of 1000 would be a grip level that would make any driver curse in as many languages available to him/her...

Maybe 198 is the default value for the original GP2. I'm not sure.

If I'm remembering it correctly, carsets occasionally had 258 or something in the 500s?! But which setting might be appropriate would differ depending on how "good" a car you intend to drive.

And there are additional variables or uncertainties:
You might be setting up your car differently from the computer-controlled cars (the wing settings and gear ratios are especially effective to cause differences).
You will see different times with add-on tracks, depending on which number slot (1..16) you run the tracks in.

What's even unrealistic IMO is that there's one value for all CC cars' weight – probably, the best cars of each era were a bit lighter and optimised than for a backmarker team who couldn't spend huger amounts of money on the lightest gearbox of all time...

What helps to check to get at least some team-related performance differences is to have "Use Selected Team Power" checked, so that the player car actually retains the values from the team you select (and not a generic value that might be completely different). Also, have Performance set to "Use GP2Edit Values", so that the performance differences from the carset are used for in-game sessions. Otherwise, all cc cars might actually perform the same (or randomly from session to session, if it was set to random instead).
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Some bits:

Range is 0-1000.

Default value is 198 indeed.

It affects the ccs slightly, nothing really noticeable.

My advice: use this value to adjust the car grip to your liking, then use the other tools to balance the ccs performances against you.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
nimrod111
GP2 Gamer

Post by nimrod111 »

rremedio wrote:Some bits:

Range is 0-1000.

Default value is 198 indeed.

It affects the ccs slightly, nothing really noticeable.

My advice: use this value to adjust the car grip to your liking, then use the other tools to balance the ccs performances against you.
Uhm. If I set the grip to 0, do you think I could finally drive with the keyboard and without the traction control?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

nimrod111 wrote: Uhm. If I set the grip to 0, do you think I could finally drive with the keyboard and without the traction control?
The main tip is to drive with your first gear raised. With default grip level, car power and weight, it will become easier if you set it around 66. With grip 0 you can use 40 on most tracks. Of course, this values are only required if you drive with a keyboard.
Early 90s F1 forever!
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

rremedio wrote:
nimrod111 wrote: Uhm. If I set the grip to 0, do you think I could finally drive with the keyboard and without the traction control?
The main tip is to drive with your first gear raised. With default grip level, car power and weight, it will become easier if you set it around 66. With grip 0 you can use 40 on most tracks. Of course, this values are only required if you drive with a keyboard.
By the way F1GP and GP2 are very playable with keyboard compared to GP3 and GP4. :wink:
nimrod111
GP2 Gamer

Post by nimrod111 »

rremedio wrote:
66?? :shock:

...this is the main ratio I use for the SIXTH gear :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . Okay, thank you for the tip.
nimrod111
GP2 Gamer

Post by nimrod111 »

RacerBG wrote:
rremedio wrote:
By the way F1GP and GP2 are very playable with keyboard compared to GP3 and GP4. :wink:

In effect, Gp3 lasted on my Pc only two days XD. :lol:
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

nimrod111 wrote:
rremedio wrote:

...this is the main ratio I use for the SIXTH gear :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . Okay, thank you for the tip.
Sorry, I mean 46 :mrgreen:
Early 90s F1 forever!
nimrod111
GP2 Gamer

Post by nimrod111 »

rremedio wrote:
Sorry, I mean 46 :mrgreen:

Well, I tried 66 ratio . So, gears became 66-68-70-72-74-76.

Result? Of course terrible :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: