performance differences between circuits for the player

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
tadano
GP2 Newbie

performance differences between circuits for the player

Post by tadano »

Is it only me or is there some kind of a bug in GP2 which makes people not equally good on different circuit.

With a given car set, I occasionally set pole and fight for win on a %100 race at Monaco, Barcelone,Hockenheim,Monza, SPA,Suzuka or Adelaide. On the other hand, with same carset, I am only figthing in the mid field, or trying to hang on in the mid field at Jerez , Hungaroring and Magny-Cours. Why is that?

Let me precise that I am not a beginner at all, also with big GP3 experince. I never had such a problem with GP3.
With GP3, if I could win or fight to win somewhere, it was the same everywhere.

Please, help and advice.
eky78
GP2 Gamer

Re: performance differences between circuits for the player

Post by eky78 »

Well...there are a lot of drivers and teams from current F1 that have encountered the same problem and have the same question!!! :D

anyway for gp2 is normal...but you can solve it simply by changing player's grip factor in GP2Edit (button car settings) for those races where you get bad results. Then remember to set default values for the other tracks.

Otherwise you can use GP2 Slots and Tyre Editor, where you can change grip values for single track.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Yes. If you are having this problem using all original tracks in their original slots, it's a driving issue. You probably need to get used to the GP2 driving "tricks" (specially at Jerez and Hungaroring).

If you are using custom tracks and/or different slots from the original ones, there's a lot of things influencing the computer cars performances. The GP2 Slots and Tyre Editor may be your friend in these cases.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
tadano
GP2 Newbie

Post by tadano »

Tracks are absolutly original. I even don't know how to modifiy grip or slot on default tracks.

But could you send talk me a little bit about these driving trick at Jerez and Hungaroring?

Is it about the ideal line, driving on curbs, special setups, what? Or send me a link to find out these.

But I recognize that using keyboards like me on these 2-3 circuits is a disadvantage because you have a lot slow and mid-speed long turns which would be better handled with a wheel and foot throttle. At Monaco which also is a very slow circuits, turns are sharp but not long radius, then I am much better there.

But i would like to know more to be good on my "3 headache". What makes these 3 particular???? At one point , I was not good at Suzuka, Monaco and adelaide also, but practising paid. jerez, hungaro and Magny-cours (in a leeser extent) are hopeless.
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

tadano wrote:Tracks are absolutly original. I even don't know how to modifiy grip or slot on default tracks.

But could you send talk me a little bit about these driving trick at Jerez and Hungaroring?

Is it about the ideal line, driving on curbs, special setups, what? Or send me a link to find out these.

But I recognize that using keyboards like me on these 2-3 circuits is a disadvantage because you have a lot slow and mid-speed long turns which would be better handled with a wheel and foot throttle. At Monaco which also is a very slow circuits, turns are sharp but not long radius, then I am much better there.

But i would like to know more to be good on my "3 headache". What makes these 3 particular???? At one point , I was not good at Suzuka, Monaco and adelaide also, but practising paid. jerez, hungaro and Magny-cours (in a leeser extent) are hopeless.
On F1GP and GP2 using keyboard is not disadvantage. Im using it too and I can beat the opponents - just modify your first gear for better race start (you can lose a lot of time there) and try to follow the best line and turn in the exact moment, and overtake at the straights mostly because at the corners it's time consuming and dangerous. :lol:
tadano
GP2 Newbie

Post by tadano »

I can beat opponents adn overtake also even on these famous 3. or make a good start an jumpfrom 15 th to 6-7 th on the first corner, this is not the point.

But , bottom line , the point i am making is why while I can set pole at Monza/adelaide or Hockh., why I am navigating at 1,5-2 sec of pole at these 3 locations?

Same goes for the races, personel best lap at 1.2-1.3 of the best lap
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

If your results basically everywhere else are good, I would guess your driving is not really an issue. So I would immediately look for gains with the setup. Maybe you are doing something different than with other tracks, which does not work very well on these tracks. Or you could do something different compared to other tracks.

I would recommend focus on these long, medium to fast corners you referred to. My experience with GP2 always was that maximising your speed as you turn into these corners was very important in terms of lap time. If you go for a lot of downforce at the rear because you think the type of corners warrant it, you might end up with understeer that costs you time at corner entry. Or you compensate that understeer with a lot of front wing, too, which might hamper your top speed on what few straights there are.

GP2 is a bit peculiar in terms of the cars' aero balance. You can run sometimes a lot less rear wing than you think. So I would start with a front wing setting in the medium range, keep the rear in the single digits and then just add to it to the point where there is no uncontrollable oversteer anymore. At that point, you can have a car that goes to the apex quickly and should be easy enough to hold a long radius.

Otherwise, the performance drop could occur on stop-and-go-circuits because traction out of the tight corners is not as good as it could be. I would then always try to go harder at the front with springs/dampers and softer at the rear.

(I have completely forgotten if you can adjust the tyre camber in this game. If so, testing some changes in that area would be something I would also recommend trying. Some significant gains to be found there in the kinds of games Codemasters puts out about our favourite kind of racing these days... EDIT: No camber editing. I've confused that with other official games out there which shall not be named here. :))
Last edited by AD on 03.11.2013, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
Tommi870
GP2 Newbie

Post by Tommi870 »

It's quiet normal for me that i am competetive on certain tracks while i am not on others. Off the original 16 tracks i do well on stop and go tracks. Such as Monza, Montreal, Adelaide or Hockenheim. I can battle for wins on Ace on that tracks.
However, on tracks that have faster and longer corner i am not competetive at all and i am somehwere in the middfield or even the back of the field.
Stop and go tracks are simply a lot easier in my opinion.
nimrod111
GP2 Gamer

Post by nimrod111 »

Weel, curiously I have the opposite problem: I gain seconds (!) on fastest corners, while I'm a turtle ](*,) in the slow turns. In all tracks. :?
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

Hi, this is just to thank you all in this thread, specially AD for the advice on setups. I'm doing tests for a 50% Race Distance in Jerez, slot 14, having as a goal beating a team-mate with 16184 grip (and random grip range 700), and these helped me a lot.

I acknowledge that one could change the Magic Data, and this is now quite easy with RRemedios' application on his website http://www.caccereracing.xyz/tools, but I find more interesting the challenge of trying to find the best set-up to minimize the performance gap of slot 14 for Jerez. My personal experience of GP2 is quite similar to AD's; we can race with low rear wing, but not quite Rear Wing 1 as some people say that it's better. The rest of the task is to get the best traction possible, specially going out of Peluqui corner and Senna chicane.

I've tried to stiff up rear, but it always seems that the car flies in the air when I step over the inside/right curb of Senna's chicane way out. But going totally soft did not delivered the advantage I was expecting, and I feeled some oversteer on fast corners (really... does it make sense?), specially on corner Aspar (8), where I like to attack (because I'm among those of usually gain on fast corners and loose out of the hairpins.)

So I'm going for smaller 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears to gain in the race start and try to block other guys overtaking me after Peluqui (going for Chicane Senna) and after chicane Senna. The gear ratio tuning worked really nice, while testing qualifying and race lap times.

Cheers!
racer63
GP2 Gamer

Post by racer63 »

What level are you using? If you wanna race ace level all the same with a chance to win races, you must use no traction control (F7) and a decent setup with long low gears ratios. Is the only way, I think. Get used to drive without TC.
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

Thanks. By the way, what I would love would be to use a steering wheel again - hence my latest thread in the general Forum.