micropros gp2 on windows 7 how to

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
neverfear1717
GP2 Newbie

micropros gp2 on windows 7 how to

Post by neverfear1717 »

after much much work and determination i finally figured out how to play gp2 on my windows 7 machine with all the sounds and hassle free gaming i have posted this for people who want to play the old game on new machines no promising but vista users this should work 4 u 2

b4 I GET STARTED THIS WAS WRITTEN FOR THE INTERMEDIATE PC USER

OK TO GET THIS OLD RELIC OF A GAME TO WORK FIRST U MUST DOWNLOAD

DOSBOX FROM

http://ykhwong.x-y.net/

U WILL NEED THIS VERSION...

IT WILL WORK ON NORMAL DOS BOX BUT IS A PAIN TO FIND THE FILE DOSBOX.CONF IL GET TO THIS A LIL LATER

U WILL ALSO NEED TO FIND A PROGRAM CALLED - UNIVBE - ITS A PAIN TO FIND BUT EVENTUALLY U WILL i SEARCHED IN GOOGLE FOR HOURS unfortunatly i can not find a link for it because i forgot to save it :( but it HELPS TO CHECK OTHER FORUMS AS SOMETIMES THEY HAVE HANDY LINKS IN THERE ;) AND ADVICE .. i do remember that was how i acquired mine from were remains a mystery
OK ANYWAY BACK TO THE SUBJECT

ONCE THIS (UNIVBE) IS FOUND THEN CREATE A FOLDER IN UR C DRIVE CALLED OLDGAMES AND PASTE UNIVBE IN THERE

C:\OLDGAMES

NOW AFTER DOWNLOADING DOSBOX GO TO THE DIRECTORY THAT UR DOSBOX FILE IS LOCATED AND IF U HAVENT ALREADY EXTRACT THE CONTENTS OF IT TO UR DESIRED LOCATION (HELPS TO HAVE A FEW DOSBOX INSTALLATIONS SO THAT U CAN RUN ANY GAME OF ONE AND CREATE SPECIAL ONES LIKE WE ARE HERE TO AVOID ALL THE MOUNTING NEEDED AND NOT HAVE TO EVER DO THIS ANNOYING TEDIOUS CRAP EVER AGAIN....

IN THIS LOCATION U HAVE JUST CREATED FIND DOSBOX.CONF

OPEN WITH NOTEPAD

IN THE [DOSBOX]

SECTION

CHANGE

-----------------------------------------------------

machine= XXXX
(XXXX BEING WAT THE ORIGINAL MACHINE = IS)

TO machine=svga_et4000

THEN SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS DOCUMENT AND CHANGE

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.

SECTION TO

SO IT LOOKS LIKE THIS

[autoexec]

MOUNT D X:\ -t cdrom X BEING THE LETTER UR CD ROM DRIVE THAT UR GP2 IS IN
MOUNT C C:\OLDGAMES

SAVE AND EXIT

INSERT UR GP2 DISK AND

OPEN UR NEW MODIFYED DOSBOX WITH DOSBOX.EXE

U MAY HAVE TO CHANGE THE DIRECTORY IN DOS BOX AS IT WILL OPEN UP AND UL BE IN LIKE Z OR C DRIVE OR SOMETHING SO JUST TYPE D: PRESS ENTER AND TYPE DIR PRESS ENTER THEN TYPE INSTALL IT WILL OR SHOULD RUN U THROUGH THE INSTALLATION PROCESS ..

THE INSTALATION SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY CREATE ANOTHER FOLDER IN UR C:\OLDGAMES CALLED GP2

AFTER THE INSTALLATION IS COMPLETE OPEN UR DOSBOX.CONF AGAIN AND CHANGE THE

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at start up.

MOUNT D X:\ -t cdrom - X BEING THE LETTER UR CD ROM DRIVE THAT UR GP2 IS IN

TO

SO IT LOOKS LIKE THIS

[autoexec]

MOUNT D X:\ -t cdrom - X BEING THE LETTER UR CD ROM DRIVE THAT UR GP2 IS IN

C:\UNIVBE.EXE

C:

cd gp2

gp2

SAVE AND EXIT

AFTER THIS IS COMPLETED U SHOULD NOW BE ABLE TO OPEN UR DOSBOX.EXE AND IT SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY START GP2

PRESS ALT ENTER TO PLAY GP2 IN FULL SCREEN

HAVE FUN

Annotations:
-AS I HAVE SAID You can also use the standard version of DOSBOX found under http://www.dosbox.com, but ITS AN ASS TO FIND DOSBOX.CONF

-Without that UNIVBE.EXE thingo the game-screen will BE REALLY SMALL AND THE GRAPHIX WILL BE REALLY POOR

- I have tested this on Windows 7

- I have done this with "The Need for Speed Special Edition" and gp2, and it works well but nfs i did do a lil differently following a guide i found online which is were i came up with the idea of this way of making gp2 run and found univbe

I hope this is helpfull and u can now enjoy gp2 on windows 7 .....
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Re: micropros gp2 on windows 7 how to

Post by RacerBG »

Woa we had finded the hot water :lol: Every person here know how to run GP2 on Win 7 and how to configure DOSBOX (its no need to be professor) :lol:

By the way welcome to the forums mate :wink:
neverfear1717
GP2 Newbie

Post by neverfear1717 »

haha thanks lol well atleast if anyone is wanting to kno like new members its all here lol
AAS
GP2 Star

Post by AAS »

welcome to the forum neverfear1717
Thanks for the detailed how to.
samcd84
GP2 Newbie

Post by samcd84 »

I followed these instructions, found them very useful. I'm now running GP2 but I can't enable SVGA mode for graphics, can anyone help?
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

samcd84 wrote:I followed these instructions, found them very useful. I'm now running GP2 but I can't enable SVGA mode for graphics, can anyone help?
Well check your GP2 OPTIONS :wink: And enable it from there.
samcd84
GP2 Newbie

Post by samcd84 »

Sorry I should add, it's greyed out and I cant enable it.
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

Its shouldnt be, look :arrow:

And also look at advanced game options and if none of this works check your DOSBOX config file. :!:
Attachments
config example.JPG
example.JPG
turop
GP2 Newbie

Post by turop »

Do I have to have a cracked cd instead of an original one, a bought one, in order to run this according to your instructions?

I get mscdex not detected... I strictly followed your instructions and I am not just an intermediate user.. just not in installing GP2 on win7...

thanks 4 any answers...
turop
GP2 Newbie

Post by turop »

Nevermind.. I got it running on my own.. :) It seems I'm an advanced user after all..
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Welcome to the board and thx for the tut.

I use DFend-Reloaded for playing GP2. Without GP2lap it works good but with GP2lap it runs pretty slowly :(
DEHUMANIZER95
GP2 Racer

Post by DEHUMANIZER95 »

turop wrote:Do I have to have a cracked cd instead of an original one, a bought one, in order to run this according to your instructions?

I get mscdex not detected... I strictly followed your instructions and I am not just an intermediate user.. just not in installing GP2 on win7...

thanks 4 any answers...
Well, I once made a backup-cd and it worked fine without any problems..
rjbetty
GP2 Newbie

Post by rjbetty »

Um hey,

Sorry I'm kinda new here, but would anyone be able to help me cos I can't get gp2limit to work in Windows 7. I use D-FEND Reloaded and get a dos window, in which I have to type the address to the gp2 file. I do this but the window just shuts down and nothing happens. So I can't use the new good tracks :(

Thanks all. Thanks for this site too. :)

rjbetty
I'm not a spambot!
canon1753
GP2 Newbie

Post by canon1753 »

silly question- anyone get gp2 working on windows 8? (Perfectly happy with win 7, but in case I have to get win 8 for my next system)
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

canon1753 wrote:silly question- anyone get gp2 working on windows 8? (Perfectly happy with win 7, but in case I have to get win 8 for my next system)
I haven't got Windows 8 but if DOSBOX 0.74 is working on 8, GP2 should run just fine. Im just curious about the GP2 utilities working on 8 (I mean the Windows ones). :-k

Can you test it for us? :)