GP2Lap Source Code Released!! :)

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

GP2Lap Source Code Released!! :)

Post by rremedio »

Hi guys!

René Smit, the brilliant mind behind GP2Lap, GPxPatch and other wonderful utilities has released the GP2Lap source code under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

This means that anybody can clone and edit the code, than request René for add these changes to GP2Lap. The code is complete enough so you can playtest the changes you make, but for security reasons it lacks the authentication part used for anti-cheating (that way nobody will be able to use the code for cheating in leagues).

GP2Lap is the most powerful tool ever created for GP2 and if someone can improve it even more, that would be wonderful.

The coded is hosted on Github. If you want to work with the code but don't know how Github works, I can help.

Here it goes: https://github.com/sdidit/gp2lap
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
Peze
GP2 Gamer

Re: GP2Lap Source Code Released!! :)

Post by Peze »

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ This is super!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

Amazing! Can you believe it, Redmoth? Now our dreams can become true and we can release further versions of GP2Lap with super new awesome features. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Well that was too optimistic but anyway we can make it.

I have Linux now but I also have virtual machine so this is not a problem I believe. How we can edit GP2Lap? If you can explain to all of us it will be better than just explaining to everybody alone.

EDIT: Im so excited that I had decided to continue my NFSF project which by the way is more known nowadays as NFR (New Formula Racer).
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

Wonderful!! \:D/ =D> :D Thank you for this super news Roberto!!
Now, what is it possible to do with this source code?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

RacerBG wrote:Amazing! Can you believe it, Redmoth? Now our dreams can become true and we can release further versions of GP2Lap with super new awesome features. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Well that was too optimistic but anyway we can make it.

I have Linux now but I also have virtual machine so this is not a problem I believe. How we can edit GP2Lap? If you can explain to all of us it will be better than just explaining to everybody alone.

EDIT: Im so excited that I had decided to continue my NFSF project which by the way is more known nowadays as NFR (New Formula Racer).
I'll provide a better explanation later, but you need to setup a Github account, setup Git (https://help.github.com/articles/set-up-git), then fork the project (this creates a copy of the project in your account) and clone it (this downloads the code to your system).
Early 90s F1 forever!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Michael82 wrote:Wonderful!! \:D/ =D> :D Thank you for this super news Roberto!!
Now, what is it possible to do with this source code?
It depends on how skilled the coder is, because it is very complex and advanced code. GP2Lap loads GP2 into its own memory and take over of some of the GP2 functions and adds new functions, extending the game. In theory, anything is possible, but even the simplest changes won't be easy for me.
Early 90s F1 forever!
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

I happy to see the hope to update gp2. There are still very lots of things to do.. Rene Smith could help you? So, if you need help we are here! Yes.. programming.. so difficult to me!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Michael82 wrote:I happy to see the hope to update gp2. There are still very lots of things to do.. Rene Smith could help you? So, if you need help we are here! Yes.. programming.. so difficult to me!
René is always kind to answer my questions, but I don't think he's willing to work with GP2Lap development anymore.
Early 90s F1 forever!
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

That are good news indeed :) =D> =D>
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

...And if we had had a GP2 source code...this will be amazing. Then we will be able to add the rain, pit radio and all other stuff that is included but not developed. And even more but... This will never happen... :?
gp2hbsl
GP2 Starter

Post by gp2hbsl »

RacerBG wrote:...And if we had had a GP2 source code...this will be amazing. Then we will be able to add the rain, pit radio and all other stuff that is included but not developed. And even more but... This will never happen... :?

Long time ago I tried to make some simple pit radio sounds for GP2 and they might be around somewhere out there on the www... :-)

Anyway here is a small link: http://www72.zippyshare.com/v/6397455/file.html

Use GP2Editor to insert the files and remember to back up your favourite sounds...

If intersted I think I have some alternatives available... :-)
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

gp2hbsl wrote:
RacerBG wrote:...And if we had had a GP2 source code...this will be amazing. Then we will be able to add the rain, pit radio and all other stuff that is included but not developed. And even more but... This will never happen... :?

Long time ago I tried to make some simple pit radio sounds for GP2 and they might be around somewhere out there on the http://www... :-)

Anyway here is a small link: http://www72.zippyshare.com/v/6397455/file.html

Use GP2Editor to insert the files and remember to back up your favourite sounds...

If intersted I think I have some alternatives available... :-)
I mean totally different thing.
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

Hi, have you test the Open Watcom editing?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Michael82 wrote:Hi, have you test the Open Watcom editing?
I was able to build the program with Open Watcom. Editing it is advanced C programming and it requires a good understanding of the program, which is very complex. I didn't have enough free time to put my head around it yet. Anyway, it is far more advanced than anything I've done so far, so I'm not sure I'll be able to make reliable changes on it. But it already helped me to understand some of the GP2 inner stuff I didn't know yet.
Early 90s F1 forever!
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

rremedio wrote:
Michael82 wrote:Hi, have you test the Open Watcom editing?
I was able to build the program with Open Watcom. Editing it is advanced C programming and it requires a good understanding of the program, which is very complex. I didn't have enough free time to put my head around it yet. Anyway, it is far more advanced than anything I've done so far, so I'm not sure I'll be able to make reliable changes on it. But it already helped me to understand some of the GP2 inner stuff I didn't know yet.
I wonder if we can do something with this source? In theory we can but in practice?