GP2 using Dosbox on Mac OS X 10.5

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
Watkins Glen
GP2 Newbie

GP2 using Dosbox on Mac OS X 10.5

Post by Watkins Glen »

Hi everyone,

A new user to this excellent forum.

As a former avid GP2 user, back in the mid 90s, I'm really pleased to have found out that it can be played again.

I have just successfully installed GP2 online (not from a CD) onto my Macbook and have run it successfully using Dosbox.

What I would like to know is - is it possible to install all of the 2010 tracks and car-sets from Grand Prix 2.de without having the installation CD? I am not a computer expert by any means - is it possible to use GP2 edit using Dosbox and get it all up and running?

This really would be fantastic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Re: GP2 using Dosbox on Mac OS X 10.5

Post by RacerBG »

To your first question yes you can install the carsets and tracks without using any original CD but.............

GP2Edit as far as I know cant be runned on DOSBOX sorry :-#

Do you have separate OS in your MacBook for example Windows :?: If you have run it from there :wink:
DEHUMANIZER95
GP2 Racer

Post by DEHUMANIZER95 »

as I know is GP2edit a 100% Windows written editor and not DOS Compatible, so this would be a problem to install carsets etc.
Watkins Glen
GP2 Newbie

Post by Watkins Glen »

Thanks very much for your replies - sounds like it won't be possible - will enjoy living in 1994... :lol:

Just one thing - would it be possible to install car sets any other way, or will it have to be through GP2 edit?

I can't use a divider between OS X and Windows.
DEHUMANIZER95
GP2 Racer

Post by DEHUMANIZER95 »

hmm I'm not really sure if a Grand Prix 2 editor was ever written for Dos... but this would be a harder way to put cars in...

the only way I know is GP2edit...
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Welcome to the board :D

You can setup a virtual Windows Machine on your MAC then GP2Edit will work.

If you want to use Dosbox, well, I know that there existed Dosbased editors in the early days, you could use them to exchange graphics and perfomance data. But you will definitaly need some time to do this. Try "GP2 CC's performance editor" and "GP2JAM", you can get them here -> http://www.grandprix2.de/Util/util_old.htm. Actual tracks can be copied without problems, the JAD to JAM converter is a DOS-based tool.

There are various DOS based editors there, just try them out ;) For the cars, nl² could surely release the bmps seperate if you ask them. With that and enough patience you could patch your version to the 2010 season.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

There's an option in GP2Edit called Create DOS Patch...it creates a DOS executable to install the carset. Someone should test it a .exe created that way in see if it works under dosbox (to create it, go Options - Create DOS Patch).
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
Gabriele
GP2 Starter

Post by Gabriele »

I use a workaround for running Gp2 on my MacOs 10.6
First of all a Win XP virtual machine on VmWare to do all the editing stuff. When I end editing, I copy all the "Gp2" folder into DosBox, in Macintosh real machine.
I suggest using Boxer as a frontend, you have to leave aside some quality in order to have decent frame rates, but what the hell, it's Gp2, the important is to have it running. In any way.
"When you are fitted in a racing car and you race to win, second or third place is not enough."
Ayrton Senna Da Silva

Currently working on MotoGP 500 season 1991 (converted to Gp2)
MotoGP 500 season 1990 done.
jakesanson
GP2 Acc

Post by jakesanson »

So GP2 runs on my MacBook Pro (YAY!!) and I have found a way to import carsets and tracks via exporting files from my PC to a USB drive and overwriting the files. Longwinded but worth it.

The only problem is that GP2 is incredibly slow on DosBOX, and a lap basically takes 5 minutes when it should take a minute and a half thanks to the MAJOR and I mean MAJOR lag.

Any suggestions?
Find me on @jakesansonofficial or www.jakesanson.com
Voice of the FIA Karting World and European Championships, IAME Euro & Asia Series, and more.

Commentated at the British Grand Prix for Formula 1 in 2019 and the Le Mans 24 Hours for ACO in 2016. Yep, I can't believe it either.....

Come and play the RRML using Grand Prix 2 via Downforce Racing YouTube channel!