Problem with racing on certain tracks

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
Shadowcat
GP2 Newbie

Problem with racing on certain tracks

Post by Shadowcat »

Hi all,

I am currently trying to recreate the 1950 season on my GP2. I downloaded the 1950 carset by Edgars "Erix" Mâlkalns, as well as a few tracks from the 1950s/1960s (not all of them were used in 1950, but they were the closest available).

However, with two of these tracks, I have a problem. They work fine in practice mode, but when I try to do a Quickrace or Non-championship race, the game freezes and I have to restart it.

The tracks in question are: Monte-Carlo 1950 by C. Hoenicke/A. Pessoa, and Reims 66 by Bob Culver.

Maybe it has something to do with the slots the tracks are in? Does anyone know a solution to this problem? Has anyone tried these tracks? I run GP2 on DosBOX 0.74, with Windows XP SP2.

Coincidentally, this is also my first post here... after having been a long time lurker :)
Shadowcat
GP2 Newbie

Re: Problem with racing on certain tracks

Post by Shadowcat »

After some thinking, I think I managed to locate the problem.

Races work now on Reims 66, after I replaced a .JAM file with a smaller .JAM file originally intended for use with the '50s narrow tyres, because the .JAM size would exceed the limit. With one car, it doesn't, apparently. Also, I remembered that when I deleted the folder with .JAMS for Monte-Carlo 1950, doing a qualifying or race there was possible (but of course the track would look horrible and bare). So, I believe it has something to do with the .JAM size, which doesn't exceed the limit when only one car is used, like in practice, but it does when many cars are on track.

Does anyone know of a way to reduce the .JAM size for Monte-Carlo 1950?
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

First of all, welcome to this place!

You're absolutely right that there can be issues with exceeding the .JAM limit. One cause for that being that the the 50's narrow tyres are bigger than the original wheels, as documented by AAS here -- which may not put you over the limit if only one car needs to be loaded and rendered, but might add up to "too much" if there's a whole field of cars and the track.

Generally, remedy should be possible:

Some tracks have a lot of .JAMs. It may be possible to reduce files in size if there is unused (plain green) space above or below in the texture - there was a discussion here some time ago where the question of how do you change the size of a JAM file? was discussed some.

There is an editor you can youse to change the .JAMs, aptly titled JAMEditor, available from the utilities page on grandprix2.de (or directly from here): http://www.grandprix2.de/Util/jameditor052b.zip

I hope that can provide you with some direction. :)
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

Hmm with Monte Carlo 1950 I havent got problems but I use GP2Limit too :wink:
Shadowcat
GP2 Newbie

Post by Shadowcat »

RacerBG wrote:Hmm with Monte Carlo 1950 I havent got problems but I use GP2Limit too :wink:
What is GP2Limit? I can't find it on the Utilities page.
AD, thanks and I will try to reduce the size of one or more .JAM files, but I don't know which files are the biggest. Does anyone have a good idea of a .JAM file whose size I can change? (Or does the .JAM editor you mention show the .JAM and its size?)
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

Shadowcat wrote:
RacerBG wrote:Hmm with Monte Carlo 1950 I havent got problems but I use GP2Limit too :wink:
AD, thanks and I will try to reduce the size of one or more .JAM files, but I don't know which files are the biggest. Does anyone have a good idea of a .JAM file whose size I can change? (Or does the .JAM editor you mention show the .JAM and its size?)
There exist GP2Limit in the worst case search in Google, it wont kill you :mrgreen:
Shadowcat
GP2 Newbie

Post by Shadowcat »

RacerBG wrote:
Shadowcat wrote:
There exist GP2Limit in the worst case search in Google, it wont kill you :mrgreen:
Using that doesn't work. Which makes sense, since it extends the maximum track file size from 62 KB to 65 KB, but this track only was 61 KB to begin with.
AAS
GP2 Star

Post by AAS »

Delete your Mco1950 folder.
Download the track again.
(I have deleted some unused jams)
Now it should work.

http://grandprix2.de/Strecke2/tracks_Monaco.htm
Shadowcat
GP2 Newbie

Post by Shadowcat »

AAS wrote:Delete your Mco1950 folder.
Download the track again.
(I have deleted some unused jams)
Now it should work.

http://grandprix2.de/Strecke2/tracks_Monaco.htm
Hooray! It works! Many thanks!!

But shouldn't the webmaster update the page with Monaco tracks, saying it's updated?
AAS
GP2 Star

Post by AAS »

Shadowcat wrote: Hooray! It works! Many thanks!!
great :D
Shadowcat wrote: But shouldn't the webmaster update the page with Monaco tracks, saying it's updated?
maybe, maybe not.
But the webmaster is a lazy bum. :lol: