The GP2 Full Seasons Project

Here you can present your WIP or new cars and/or stuff you made for GP2
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Re: The GP2 Full Seasons Project

Post by rremedio »

Michael82 wrote:Sorry for the 1978.. I have not lot of time this year but i would like to do that in June or July! Actually I am finishing the 1982 mod. Slowly but surely ;)
I await your instructions for your mega project!
Don't worry, take your time. And as I said to you before, your 1982 mod will be stunning. =D>
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Some more information about the way the package is being made, so you guys can give me your opinions if you have other ideas.

Fuel Consumpion:

In 1985, F1 cars were not allowed to refuel, their pit stops were for tyres only. This can't be correctly simulated in GP2 (there is an artificial way around for 1 pit races, but it gives too much work and may be screwed if a cc makes an unscheduled pitstop).

Despite this, I've calculated fuel loads according to the 220 liters rule of 1985. The cars won't start the race with 220 liters, but they will consume 220L along the race.

That rule was very demanding on the cars, as 220L was very limiting to F1 engines those times, so there were always concern about fuel saving and wasn't unusual to have cars being out of fuel on the end. So the fuel consumptions will not be set so most cars finish with 2.0 fuel laps at the end of an 100% race like in original GP2, but a much more risky 0.5 fuel laps at the end. And some ccs will be out of fuel at some races, depending on their incidents and performances along the race.

Car Setups:

This is an old problems when you are trying to setup a race for other people. GP2 doesn't simulate wings downforce correctly, which means you have almost no penalties on using minimal rear wing. This "bug" is usually exploited by league hotlappers which drive with rear wing set to 1 on almost every race.

Anyway, it seems to be something the average GP2 player usually won't use in his favor, so I've decided to setup the races with "normal car setups", which means the ccs will have normal rear wing setups and the setups for the players are expected to give fair top speed against the ccs.

Also, gear rate values will be set to "normal" values, as in original GP2, for being driven with F7 help on (league drivers will set their first gear higher, sometimes above 45, to be able to drive without F7 help and be faster when using keyboard and other digital throttle devices).

In the future, there may be an alternative version for those who drive with minimal rear wing or without F7, but for now it would be too much work to set every track twice.

Wet races:

I'm still to take a closer look on all races, but we may take Estoril as example. Estoril race was very wet and was finished on the 2 hours limit, not the number of laps planned. GP2 won't automatically simulate this. So we will have a dry version with the planned number of laps and a wet version with the shorter number of laps, according to the real '85 GP.

Alternative tracks:

Full '85 in nice but I want to drive my FW10 on Le Mans, Bathurst, the Sudschleife, Indianapolis 500!!! No problems, I think we will have instructions on the pack on how to set your competitive race on any track, and I think to release some alternative files myself.
Early 90s F1 forever!
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

It will be very very good! :D i have à excel file with all qualif and best lap for 1985 season with percentage for gp2. But not for each race. I will send you it the next days!
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

Hmm I have huge problems with understanding of TE but I will do my best. We must make GP2 the best of the bests again (like in 1996). Even rFactor will lose this battle :!: 8)

Take your time, Roberto (thats your real name right?). Mine is George (Georgi).
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

RacerBG wrote:Hmm I have huge problems with understanding of TE but I will do my best. We must make GP2 the best of the bests again (like in 1996). Even rFactor will lose this battle :!: 8)

Yes it is.

You won't have to change anything on the TE, but to change values on the Slot Editor. Just raise or decrease values and exports, and when the values are good, save a file.
Early 90s F1 forever!
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

rremedio wrote:
RacerBG wrote:Hmm I have huge problems with understanding of TE but I will do my best. We must make GP2 the best of the bests again (like in 1996). Even rFactor will lose this battle :!: 8)

Yes it is.

You won't have to change anything on the TE, but to change values on the Slot Editor. Just raise or decrease values and exports, and when the values are good, save a file.
Okay, we are getting in good mood because of that. :lol:
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

File editing is complete. I'm writing the instructions and it's taking a little longer than I've expected but it's nearly finished. :D
Early 90s F1 forever!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Ok guys, sorry for the delay. I've been a lazy bastard past weeks :mrgreen:

The writing of the instructions is taking much longer than expected, so I've decided to make it shorter, simpler and more direct, just for the work required on this particular set. The most complete instructions will follow soon (these complete instructions will be also valid for any future set on the project and hopefully will be a good tutorial for anyone interested on setting up competitive races using GP2 magic data). Also, I was unsure about a design choice for the set but finally made my decision which will require an extra tweeking on all the files. So expect the files to be available on wednesday or thursday on the worst, cause I can't edit the files today or tomorrow.
Early 90s F1 forever!
Shadowcat
GP2 Newbie

Post by Shadowcat »

You guys are the best. Long live GP2!
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

Hi Roberto!
What is the progress of the project?
I'm always ready to do that.
ngendro
GP2 Newbie

Post by ngendro »

Hi. I can help with the sound. In 1998, I discovered GP2 and I made lots of engine sounds for the game. By the way, I always dream with the possibility of having exterior engine sounds on this game. Is this posible? Is there any way to program this game for having 3 diferent engine sounds like V12, V10, and V8?

greetings from Argentina!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Sorry Michael, I was a bit lazy on that week and suddenly I've got my spare time wiped out. There's still few hours of work needed for the files become ready for you guys to work on them, but I don't know when I will be able to complete it. Hoperfully it will be now in july. I just need one free day without other things to do.
Early 90s F1 forever!
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

ok Roberto! It is the same for me I haven't lot of time... In june I sent the files to Andreas of the f1 season 1982 mod for gp2 after some months..
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Update: finally I've got some time to edit files. I don't have the files ready for testing yet, but things advanced very well becouse I've noticed some details I was overlooking before. Hopefully, they will be ready after next "working session". [-o<
Early 90s F1 forever!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

So here they are: the first pack of files. I've chosen to include only half of the files. There are 7 tracks, other 6 tracks will be included soon, 1 track is done and 2 others need ccline fixing.

About the files:

Here you'll find a carset, track .dat files, magic data files, a physics file, a tyre data file and setup files. The carset and magic data have no performance data (all cars have the same performance and they are not balanced between ccs and human players).

The carset is the great F1 1988 set by Patrick Augusto-Lopes and the track authors are listed bellow. The aim of this procedure is to adjust fuel consumption for all tracks, then I'll be able to correct configure and balance performances. You will notice that our fuel consumption will be higher than original standarts. That's becouse in 1988, fuel consumption played a bigger role than in 1994.

The physic file was created with just top speed and corner speed in mind, without any real life technical parameters. It feels very different to drive and please comment and criticize it so maybe I can improve it.

So here we go.

Installation

Tracks

You will need to have the jam files for your chosen track installed in your GP2 gamejams folder. This is the list with the track versions.

2 - Imola 87 - Peter L Kessler
3 - Monaco 94 - Microprose
4 - Mexico City 92 - Antonio Pessoa / Thomas Kost
5 - Montreal 98 - Dave Manning
6 - Detroit 1985-1988 - Fabrice Lagardere
7 - Paul Ricard 90s - Michael Max
8 - Silverstone 1987 - Peter L Kessler / Yunus Patel

Track .dats

You will use the file for your track included in dats.zip instead of the file provided in the original track download.

Programs

You will need GP2 Slots and Tyre Editor 1.1 (grandprix2.de) and GP2 Physics Editor (attached bellow).

With GP2 Slots and Tyre Editor 1.1, export tyres.t2d and the magic data file for your track from md88.zip (in the correct slot i.e. 02imola.m2d goes to slot 2) to GP2.

With GP2 Physics Editor, export physics88.g2p to GP2.

Car setups

Put your track car setup from setups88.zip (88XXNAME.CSX) on your gpsaves folder.

Carset

When installing testset.gp2, please check "Select All" in the Car Set Data panel.

Procedure

Chose one track and let us know which track was chosen.

1 - Adjusting CC fuel consumption.

a. Select no drivers for the human player.

b. Start a quickrace (should be a 40% race).

c. Press ESC and go to Accelerated Time.

d. Wait until last lap and press ESC and return to the race.

e. Go to the race leader and watch him finish the race.

f. Notice how much fuel he has left and use the UP and DOWN keys to view all the other cars and their fuel too.

g. If the car which finishes the race have more than 0.5 fuel laps left, go to GP2 Slots and Tyre Editor 1.1 and increase the CC Fuel factor. If that car has less than 0.5 left, go to GP2 Slots and Tyre Editor 1.1 in decrease CC Fuel factor.

h. Repeat everything until you have 0.5 fuel laps left at item g.

2 - Adjusting Player's fuel consumption

a. Select any car.

b. Start a Practice Any Circuit session.

c. Load the given car setup for your track (you may change the car setup if you want, but you MUST keep the rear wing and 6th gear rating as they are in the given car setup, don't change them!).

d. Drive until you are comfortable with the track.

e. Start a stint (leaving the pits with 12 fuel laps) and complete 10 laps (9 timed laps).

f. Compare your fuel left with the table bellow. If you have more fuel laps left than the number in the table, go to GP2 Slots and Tyre Editor and increase the Human Fuel factor and repeat item e. If you have less, decrease the factor and repeat item e. Repeat items e and f until you have the correct amount of fuel laps left.

Code: Select all

2 - Imola 87 - 1.4
3 - Monaco 94 - 1.5
4 - Mexico City 92 - 1.4
5 - Montreal 98 - 1.5
6 - Detroit 1985-1988 - 1.4
7 - Paul Ricard 90s - 1.5
8 - Silverstone 1987 - 1.4
Important - when you need to edit Magic Data, you need to close GP2, export the data, and then open GP2 again.

When you are done, send your improved magic data file to roberto@caccere.com or attach it here in this thread.

Thank you!!

============================================
Downloads

I created a script for those who can't use GP2 Slots and Magic Data Editor (should work in WinXP, Vista and 7). You'll need to edit the magic data files in Notepad (human fuel is line 22 and cc fuel is line 23). File here

Other similar script which exports the tyre data is here

Other downloads are attached bellow.
Attachments
8808SILV.zip
Car setup for Silverstone
(161 Bytes) Downloaded 466 times
gp2physicseditor.zip
Physics Editor
(16.59 KiB) Downloaded 520 times
sp88fuel.zip
Season Project '88 files
(307.42 KiB) Downloaded 485 times
Last edited by rremedio on 12.10.2012, 14:56, edited 6 times in total.
Early 90s F1 forever!