Car templates

Here you can present your WIP or new cars and/or stuff you made for GP2
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Car templates

Post by Greyhead »

I bought rFactor a couple of months back and have spent a fair bit of time on rfactorcentral.com (similar to Andreas' site but obviously centred around rFactor). On there is a section where people send in car templates so anyone can download them and put their own "skins" on them.

Taking my own cars as an example, I could upload a template of a BMW touring car with all the shading and stuff on it in Paint.NET's *.pdn format (or another format that supports layers), then any user could just download that and put their own colours and sponsors on it, then they have their own BMW without having to go through the time-consuming and tricky process of building it up from scratch.

How about a section for that on Andreas' site? I think if a few of us made templates of some of our cars it would make GP2 even more accessible for people who aren't experienced in car painting or that simply don't have the time to devote to it. We've had a bit of an influx of new members to the forum and it might help some of these people out a bit, especially when it comes to things like fans carsets.
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
MaxX
GP2 Star

Re: Car templates

Post by MaxX »

Sounds like a great idea =D>
HF
GP2 Star

Post by HF »

I could only agree MäxX! PDN is great ;)
- . -
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I have some bmps I use as templates, base on cars made by other persons. I could contribute making some more. I still use MsPaint to make the painting, but photoshop to merge the liveries with the templates.

In GP3 there are some templates published by car painters, and they are a great addition to the community, I'm sure it would be the same with GP2.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

rremedio wrote:I have some bmps I use as templates, base on cars made by other persons. I could contribute making some more. I still use MsPaint to make the painting, but photoshop to merge the liveries with the templates.

In GP3 there are some templates published by car painters, and they are a great addition to the community, I'm sure it would be the same with GP2.
Your idea is very nice and you are right about the GP3 templates because I use it everytime when I make a car :wink:
AAS
GP2 Star

Post by AAS »

http://grandprix2.de/templates/templates.html

Yes Greyhead, good idea.

I hope for many templates. :D

Just to make things clear:
Should these packs also be available on the site?
2002 CART Pack ( Lola )
2002 CART Pack ( Reynard )
http://membres.multimania.fr/pgpracing/
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Nice one Andreas! I'll get working to fill the page up! :D
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

Very nice now the begginers will easily edit the cars liveries :)
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Right, this week I've been beavering away after some time away from GP2 and hopefully by the weekend I should have my first template ready for the site. It's a Chevrolet Cruze touring car and I'll include a carshape too. Let's see what folk make of it!
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

I think it will be great to have different templates for example like you say one template for WTCC, one for F1 (different seasons), Indycar, and etc. :)
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Greyhead wrote:Right, this week I've been beavering away after some time away from GP2 and hopefully by the weekend I should have my first template ready for the site. It's a Chevrolet Cruze touring car and I'll include a carshape too. Let's see what folk make of it!
I want to see it. Not just becouse I love the Cruze, but also I want so see how your template works, and see if I can contribute with something similar.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Rremedio: the template will be a Paint.NET drawing of a Cruze, consisting of three layers: a layer for all the shading, one for all the bits like windows, wheels, lights, and air intakes, and then another blank layer for painting the colours onto the car. Essentially it allows anybody to "respray" a Cruze with their own colours and sponsors.

I'm hoping to do a couple of cars a week as a precursor to releasing WTCC and BTCC 2010 carsets. Altogether there are (I think) 13 different cars so still some work to do...
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

Im agree :wink: Lets help to all new people here to make their own cars and in that way we will make GP2 more popular and one day the GP2 mania will return :P
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

I'm just wondering why I didn't already write something into this thread, I thought I did...

I like this idea very much and will try to paint a personal touring car on base of the Cruze or maybe another car when available.
I have also some cars that I could probably convert to templates, for example a Porsche 962C, a Lola, Pescarolo, Courage etc.

Last but not least it's great to have you back in action Dan!! =D>
Visit my website: FK's sportscar project
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Cheers mate!

You know what it's like, motivation takes a nose-dive or other stuff becomes more important, but we always end up coming back :lol: