Car painting

Here you can present your WIP or new cars and/or stuff you made for GP2
Edgars Erix
GP2 Gamer

Re: Car painting

Post by Edgars Erix »

Great work, mwi!
Thanks a lot!
But the question is - will that plate be visible (and how) on the carshape when exported to the game? On the bitmap it looks really nice.
I tried some paintwork with the Alfa Romeo 159, but on the carshape everything looked ugly. Its mainly because the bodywork surface of the carshape is screwed and stretched a lot. As I remember this was the reason why I had quit painting any nuanced details for those carsets.
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

When I paint sportscars I have the same problem. What looks good in the bitmap may not look good in the game, because like you said it, the carshape screws and stretches the bitmap a lot.

What's the solution for this? Very easy, but a lot of work: In-game-testing. When I started I did more testing than painting. It was a very much work to get everything working. But with the time everything will become easier. I think when you have one or two cars you can use them as a base so that you know where to use which effects.
Visit my website: FK's sportscar project
mwi
GP2 Newbie

Post by mwi »

Edgars Erix wrote:Great work, mwi!
Thanks a lot!
But the question is - will that plate be visible (and how) on the carshape when exported to the game? On the bitmap it looks really nice.
I tried some paintwork with the Alfa Romeo 159, but on the carshape everything looked ugly. Its mainly because the bodywork surface of the carshape is screwed and stretched a lot. As I remember this was the reason why I had quit painting any nuanced details for those carsets.
well, this one should work.
the nose is quite difficult for the normal/modern cars but that's something for lthe future. the sidepod should work good. but it's far away from ready. there are a lot of things to do.

and yes like v12 said. there's only one thing for arriving the best result's: testing, testing, testing (14hours for just one car is not a joke :wink: )

edit: well i have to change something on the orange (the plates are yellow, in gp2. i didn't remembered, 1.5years far away from gp2 were still to long...) but the rest works.

cya
mwi
if you can't persuade somebody, try to confuse him.
HF
GP2 Star

Post by HF »

Great work mwi! This teaches me too :wink:

My only problem is my less patience I think. Look at my Honda V2. It took me hours to do and test that.
- . -
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Yes, testing is such a pain, and you have to do a hell of a lot of it when you've got different carshapes but eventually you work out a rough idea of how each part of the bitmap is affected by the carshape and it makes it a bit easier. I found that moment didn't come for a long time though! It took me what seemed like forever to do the first few cars in my WTCC car set because I was constantly drawing a few pixels, then testing it out in the game, then drawing a few more and testing that, but once I'd got into it, it got a lot easier with a lot less testing.
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
TdK
GP2 Pro

Post by TdK »

i really have to say i like mwi's his style.

Maybe he would like to make the carset together in 2008?? as was in the planning for 2006, remember MWI? 8) :?:

as written in pm.
TdK - (re)tired GrandPrix 2 manic!
mwi
GP2 Newbie

Post by mwi »

ahh, there was something... :oops:

yes, let us try again. :D

cya
mwi
TdK
GP2 Pro

Post by TdK »

Well, don't be embarrassed. Personal stuff (or what else more was going on midway 2006) is more important than anything else.

We will try again in 2008!!! :D
mwi
GP2 Newbie

Post by mwi »

well, i'm "not that happy" but it is ok and the livery seems to work...
DJS
GP2 Racer

Post by DJS »

@MWi

Your Renault looks good, but I think it would look even better if you were using a different carshape.
My 2007 carshape is a good option. O:)
(I know you're using your own shape. :wink: )
DJS Exclusive - Proud member of team NL²
mwi
GP2 Newbie

Post by mwi »

ok, i'll test it this evening :mrgreen:

cya
mwi
HF
GP2 Star

Post by HF »

Well, I like the car. I know that it is really hard to make.... Your 2007 shape? Or is it an older version?
- . -
mwi
GP2 Newbie

Post by mwi »

HF wrote:Well, I like the car. I know that it is really hard to make.... Your 2007 shape? Or is it an older version?
this is myold 2005 carshape

cya
mwi
Edgars Erix
GP2 Gamer

Post by Edgars Erix »

OK, maybe it will look different on another carshape, but like this... :?
The beautifull paintings are lost on the carshape... :cry:
So, here are my conclusions:
1. I'm partly giving up. It will take too much time to learn and paint all this, therefore I will not paint all those details, shadows, wings and winglets etc. (my sleepless nights are not worth it :wink: )
2. I would like to spend my limited spare time rather for racing not for painting of things that are not visible in the game.
3. By the way - I can have my own style (old-style?) of painting the cars [-(
4. The only thing I care is that the cars look OK in the game. There is no reason for me to paint some nice winglet that is not visible on the carshape. I'm taking into account also screenshots from different angles...

So guys, You are the masters of nice-painting and your carsets are realy great, but it's just not a job for me.
The good news are - my 1951 carset will be ready to publish litle bit sooner. 8)
TdK
GP2 Pro

Post by TdK »

Everybody has it's own style. You don't have to change your style for someone else, only if you are not pleased with how things look. If they look like you want them too, than it's OK!! :P