1939 GP Season Mod

Here you can present your WIP or new cars and/or stuff you made for GP2
narva93
GP2 Starter

1939 GP Season Mod

Post by narva93 »

So, after the advice of some brazilian guy here as for how to create it, I finally created a 1939 carset.

Now, why THIS carset? Easy, it was the last racing season before the second world war started, and, in fact, when the season ended it had already started two days before, during the free practice of the Belgrade City Race, which intended to become the Yugoslavian GP, won by no other than Tazio Nuvolari in an Auto-Union.

As carshape, I have used the 1935 Auto-Union one, provided by the same certain brazilian guy in this forum with a link to the already inactive website in which was hosted.

I did use only one carshape because I have no idea of how to display different carshapes in the game at the same time, so what I did is use the auto unions as they came and set the other teams to high nose, so, they did not have the streamlined Auto-Union chasis but rather a standard one.

Given that there are no helmets from the 30's, I used a standard, Goodyear helmet from, if I am not wrong, 1997.

Helmets are downloadable in the website this forum belongs to. If someone wants to improve the carset just do it and send it to me at breizhcatalonia93@gmail.com

The drivers are those provided by Leif Snellman's awesome website "The Golden Era of GP Racing", with a bit of help of Wikipedia.

Given the enormous amount of drivers participating in GP races with private teams, it is likely that as you can only have 26 cars in GP2 not all of them are represented, and there may be some driver from those times which did not participate in the 1939 season but that I added for reaching the requited number of cars.

Here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1siqPnJ ... sp=sharing

PS: All rights of the Auto Unions belong to their creators.
El seny, si no es combina amb una ferma voluntat de combat, no és res més que una mostra de covardia.
eky78
GP2 Gamer

Re: 1939 GP Season Mod

Post by eky78 »

Nice!
For the carshape if you want you can use rremedio´s shapecopy to use a second carshape in the game and put for example a Mercedes which is what I have for the carsets of the 30s (auto union and mercedes).

You can find the tool here.
viewtopic.php?t=909

Only thing it doesn´t work on Win10 it seems.
narva93
GP2 Starter

Post by narva93 »

What I mean is, how I can make the game detect to which car should be assigned each carshape?

And thanks! \:D/
El seny, si no es combina amb una ferma voluntat de combat, no és res més que una mostra de covardia.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

narva93 wrote:
07.05.2021, 21:30
What I mean is, how I can make the game detect to which car should be assigned each carshape?

In GP2Edit: low nose is carshape 1, high nose carshape 2.

I can't test it now, but I'm very happy you made a 1939 set. The real, almost forgotten heroes! (who were also lunatics, bless them all).
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
narva93
GP2 Starter

Post by narva93 »

rremedio wrote:
08.05.2021, 04:50
narva93 wrote:
07.05.2021, 21:30

In GP2Edit: low nose is carshape 1, high nose carshape 2.

I can't test it now, but I'm very happy you made a 1939 set. The real, almost forgotten heroes! (who were also lunatics, bless them all).
I know that, I have used it, but I was only able to make one model (auto union) to appear in the game, with both low and high noses, but I couldn't make the Mercedes or Bugattis or Alfas to appear.

Btw, a bit of informations on some of the drivers, you can check it in their biographies, lazy to link now.

Caracciola: One of my favourites, exiled from Germany together with his Jewish wife, he clearly wasn't a supporter of the regime.

Ulrich Bigalke: Died testing a Messerschmitt in the Second World War.

Manfred von Brauchtisch: He was eager to join the war to a point that he left the Belgrade GP to Germany, but Neubauer (Mercedes team principal) chased him all over Belgrade and literally took him out of the Lufthansa plane which he had boarded while saying that "If you want war, you can wait a day and attend the race". Von Brauchtisch complied. Maybe a nazi, given his eagerness for war, however, having not commited any war crime or atrocity, he ended up being the president of the EAST GERMAN MOTORSPORT FEDERATION, yep, you heard it properly.

Hermann Lang: Had met Hitler personally and even gave him some rides in a luxury Mercedes, had, as far as I know, a good personal relationship with him but thought that the war was useless and that, in his own words "It was a war in which I didn't believe and which we could not won". He kept racing till the 50's, and witnessed from first hand the birth of F1.

Francesc "Paco" Godia i Sales: He raced in F1 AFTER the war, but given he was the first Catalan (and Spanish) driver to ever score a point in F1, I included him, plus, he was already alive in 1939, being 18 years old. 1939 was also the year in which the Spanish Civil War ended, so another reason for putting him in the carset. His influence was decisive to build our very own Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.

Tazio Nuvolari: The Italian mostly known for his time racing with a German car and kicking his car with the his hands while racing asking it to go faster like CORRE! CORRE! Last winner of a GP before/during WWII (Belgrade, Kalemegdan Park).

José de Villapadierna (Count of Villapadierna): A noble, fought in the Spanish civil guard in the nationalist side, was one of the few spanish sportsman to use not red as national colour but yellow.