Formula 3 carsets and packages

Here you can present your WIP or new cars and/or stuff you made for GP2
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Formula 3 carsets and packages

Post by rremedio »

EDIT: Updates on post 2

A boring wall of text. (Now hidden because of cringe and also too much text lol)
Spoiler: BBCODE_SP_AN
So recently I stumbled upon a weird offset in gp2.exe which gave me some hope on beating my old foe: the fact that the ccs accelerate so slowly out of low speeds when you use a low powered carset (and it is worse as you lower the car power).

The offset is 601003 (or 0x92BAB in hex) and its usual value is 33161 (0x8189, you will see 89 81 in the hex editor). By increasing it 50000 I managed to get the ccs accelerating correctly at 400bhp, by going to the usual maximum possible value of 65535 (FF FF) I could have enjoyable races with 270bhp carsets. I noticed it was a 4 bytes number in the exe so I could go even higher. Going higher gave a little bit of boost to the ccs but it was hard to notice any changes and going too high started to cause bugs (like some ccs in the pitlane spinning in the air lol).

So I settled with 65536 and 270bhp as good enough for me. My first thought was using it with my 2009 F2 carset which has 400bhp and I started with that. I messed with the Physics Editor until I got correct corner speeds and top speed and I noticed it became extremely boring because the way it simulated low downforce wasn't great. I raised downforce again to 22000 and the cars became responsive enough. After watching some youtube videos it seemed to me that those F2 cars were actually worse than F3 cars in some tracks so I decided to work with F3 cars instead.

The physics are still a problem so, for now, I'm leaving realism behind. My F3 cars have 270bhp and 22000 of downforce. Their top speed is lower than real F3 cars but their corner speed is much higher. I raised the "Acceleration" value in Track Editor so their top speeds would increase but it is still lower than what I'd like (for a medium wing setting). They are actually fun to drive so I kept them that way.

Next, I started setting up the tracks to run with this. Formula 3 cars usually run 2-3 races on each track so I can use that to "cheat" and have a full gp2 season with only 8 tracks. I tested many tracks and so far I have 6 tracks almost ready: Donington Park National, Welkom, Pau, Zandvoort, Goiania and Sentul. Next up is probably Mount Tremblant and then Macau. After that, I plan to add many more tracks and full calendars. As many as I can. I'm doing 80km races without pitstops and I think it is a great format.

The gear ratios are lower than usual GP2 but I can't go very low for the 1st gear or it will negate the effect of the hack on offset 601003 so I'm using 30-33 for me, 27-31 for the ccs. I tried to fix them in the Physics Editor but it also negated the effect of the hack (I still need to test what happens if I fix the gears and use a very large value for the hack. Maybe it will fix the bug?).

I looked into existing carsets and I didn't like any of them. There are some good ones but they don't look good with the carshapes. I assembled a carset very quickly and tried to fix André Santos' carshape but the results weren't any better. Still, it is now too late to go back so I hope it will be useful as a base for future improvements. Here are some pictures:
carlin.jpg
hitech.jpg
I'm attaching the carshape and carset here so you can have a look (EDIT: check post 2) and I will share the .dat and magic data files soon when everything is double checked.

I just tried to follow the color schemes more or less how they are in real life. Both cars and helmets are not detailed at all, or accurate. The teams come from many F3 championships, but mainly the now defunct European Championship. Also, I couldn't find any wheel jams that fit the F3 car (they are all too big).

All of this also gave me some motivation to restart an old project: a season installer that would install all tracks, patches and magic data in a few clicks. Progress has been great but I don't know when I'm gonna finish it.
seasonpatcher.png
seasonpatcher.png (12.69 KiB) Viewed 25159 times
If someone wants to help me with the carset, or the carshape, or anything else, I would be very happy.

EDIT: Updates on post 2
Last edited by rremedio on 07.05.2019, 07:34, edited 5 times in total.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Re: [WALL OF TEXT WARNING] My "fake Formula 3" season pack

Post by rremedio »

Download v-0.4

Installation:

1 - Export carset and carshape
2 - Extract the F3 folder to your GP2SP/Seasons/ folder
3 - Export it with GP2SP
4 - Enjoy!

Important: I recommend using the provided setups so you can have close races against the ccs. Or at least use the same rear wing and 1st/5th gears values from them. This will ensure you don't have an unfair advantage/disadvantage because of speeds being not close. There is little room for all gears so I decided to set both the ccs and player to use only 5th gears, the 6th coming in only when there is splitstream. The setups are in the GPSAVES folder inside the download .zip file. There are also hotlaps so you can check how I did with those setups.

About Magic Data: 2 files are provided for each track. Files with name finishing in _2 are supposed to be for race two for that track and have slightly faster ccs. You can also use the same file for both races if you want.

====CHANGELOG===
v-0.4
-Trying a new cockpit based on Markus 'Fireball' Rotter's cockipit.
-First Mont Tremblant track has a few fixes (not applied to second one yet in case someone wants to compare and give feedback). Fixes are in the sections with big gradient changes where GP2 creates graphical bugs.
-It should be installed with GP2SP. It can still be installed manually, but that's not recommended.

[v-0.3
-Added Pau, Mount Tremblant, Zandvoort, Goiania, Sentul and Buenos Aires 8 (all with Magic Data, Setups and Hotlaps)
-Added improved carshape (f3d.dat) to the package
v-0.2
-Corrected championship points in the carset.
-Added Donington Park National and Welcom with Magic Data, Setup and Hotlap.
-Added physics file.
Last edited by rremedio on 23.04.2019, 21:36, edited 3 times in total.
Early 90s F1 forever!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I made the car taller now while keeping the other sizes. It is too big compared to the real car but it looks better now.
Early 90s F1 forever!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

v-0.3 - Added more tracks now we have a complete season (16 races, 8 tracks).
Early 90s F1 forever!
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

Amazing! Thank you very much!
For obvious reasons, after developing a fake Formula 4 carset, I'll be among the most interested users of this.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

ismael wrote:
22.04.2019, 17:34
Amazing! Thank you very much!
For obvious reasons, after developing a fake Formula 4 carset, I'll be among the most interested users of this.
Nice! Thanks!

Now that I have a Season working, I'm gonna try and finish the Season Patcher so it becomes easier to install and then I'm gonna get back into adding more tracks and calendars to the F3 package.
Early 90s F1 forever!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Version 0.4 has a new provisional cockpit based on the F1 cockpit by Markus "Fireball" Rotter, a few fixes for Mont Tremblant and it must be installed with GP2SP.
Early 90s F1 forever!
eky78
GP2 Gamer

Post by eky78 »

Hey rremedio, great to see you back with great new stuff! =D> =D>
This thing that you change with the hex editor is also very interesting. It should work also with other carsets, right? Like with old F1 from the 50s
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

eky78 wrote:
24.04.2019, 09:21
Hey rremedio, great to see you back with great new stuff! =D> =D>
This thing that you change with the hex editor is also very interesting. It should work also with other carsets, right? Like with old F1 from the 50s
Thanks!

Yes! You just need to find the correct value for your carset.
Early 90s F1 forever!
minardi
GP2 Starter

Post by minardi »

This looks very interesting. I'll have to try it out sometime
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Re: Formula 3 carsets and packages

Post by rremedio »

I decided to also make a "real" F3 carset. The most interesting of the current series seems to be the Euroformula Open (sorry, FIA. Your official FIA F3 is not real F3) which still uses the Dallara F312 and had 21 drivers in the first race of the 2019 season.

I made a better carshape (it looks more like the F317 but it is ok for now, I can improve it later) and template and tried to get the liveries more realistic this time. Still, painting cars is not my thing so they won't be that great.

I got enough cars ready already (not painting all variations like Carlin which has 4 different liveries). Just need to paint helmets and take care of some details. Hopefully, it will be finished in the next week.

I think it looks much better than my Fake 2018 F3 carset.

It will compatible with the previous physics and package but I'm working on new physics that will not be compatible with the previous package (magic data, cc setups, player setups, etc).

Here some pictures =)
euroformula_1.jpg
euroformula_2.jpg
euroformula_3.jpg
Early 90s F1 forever!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Some improvements on the Dallara F-312 shape still in use in the Euroformula Open.
f312.jpg
I'm also working on better shapes for the F-317 (latest pre-2019 Dallara F3 model) and the Tatuus F3 T-318 (currently used in the new "Regional F3" regulation as in Formula Regional European, F3 Asian Championship and W-Series, but without the halo). Maybe I will try making the Ligier Crawford JS F3 used in F3 Americas Championship (also legal in the new regional regulations), but it is similar enough to the Tatuus one anyway.
Early 90s F1 forever!
xray95
GP2 Newbie

Post by xray95 »

rremedio wrote:
07.05.2019, 07:47
I got enough cars ready already (not painting all variations like Carlin which has 4 different liveries). Just need to paint helmets and take care of some details. Hopefully, it will be finished in the next week.

Hey man,

Did you ever finished that carset? Looked it up everywhere, but couldn't find a link to it.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

xray95 wrote:
05.04.2022, 03:56
rremedio wrote:
07.05.2019, 07:47

Hey man,

Did you ever finished that carset? Looked it up everywhere, but couldn't find a link to it.
I can't remember. I will check my files and reply back later this week. Sorry #-o
Early 90s F1 forever!
xray95
GP2 Newbie

Post by xray95 »

No problem, thanks. Even if the carset is unfinished it'd be nice to see it.