BTCC carset 2007

Here you can present your WIP or new cars and/or stuff you made for GP2
Greyhead
GP2 Star

BTCC carset 2007

Post by Greyhead »

Just to gauge if it's worth me doing it, how many people would like to see a British Touring Car carset? Once I've finished the 2006 WTCC one that is. If people want it I'll make it, if not I'll probably still do it... Basically I'm just a bit curious as to how many people would be bothered.
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
Moonrakerâ„¢
GP2 Racer

Post by Moonrakerâ„¢ »

I would! Should only need two main carshapes too :D
In a time of global financial crisis... cheap motorsport is the key!! GPRL resumes in 2009!
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Yeah, I could probably get away with the WTCC shape as several of the cars are the same (SEAT Leon, Alfa 156 and BMW 320 all run in both series).
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

Actually I know nothing about the BTCC.. Years ago the series was known much better somehow. There was TOCA, no WTCC, no DTM, but since we got those 2 series BTCC was dropped out of the spotlight (at least for non-britishs I think).

But however, I guess it would be nice to have this set and to drive it on all the great british circuits.
... a FIA-GT set would be also nice. :D
Visit my website: FK's sportscar project
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Well back in the Super Touring days any manufacturer who wanted to be in touring cars wanted to be in the BTCC... at one point there were ten manufacturers involved! Not even F1 can boast that! BMW, Alfa, Honda, Vauxhall, Ford, Mazda, Toyota, Peugeot, Nissan, Audi etc all had works teams over here at some point. However, like the original DTM/ITC, it got too expensive, and since Super Touring originated here, we clung to it for a bit too long. Where the BTCC went wrong is that it thought it could start a new formula all over again and came up with BTC Touring, but S2000 rules adopted by the ETCC (now the WTCC) proved more cost-effective and easier to implement and they were adopted worldwide, leaving the BTCC behind a little bit. Now the BTCC has adopted the WTCC's S2000 rules, and already some ex-WTCC cars (namely SEAT, Alfa and BMW) have trickled to British shores. Unlike the 1990's, though, there are just two works teams (SEAT and Vauxhall) as a number of manufacturers had their fingers burned in the Super Touring era and are wary of returning. Hopefully we'll see a works return from Honda and BMW soon though.
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

Why don't you make a carset of those "glory" days? I think this would be interesting, too!
Visit my website: FK's sportscar project
DJS
GP2 Racer

Post by DJS »

Yes great, with the Williams Renault Lagunas.
DJS Exclusive - Proud member of team NL²
Moonrakerâ„¢
GP2 Racer

Post by Moonrakerâ„¢ »

Tbh, I think what Matt Neal has done it BTCC has been amazing. It's one of the highest ranking Privateer based series out there. I know IRL is all privateer etc. But they have one engine/chassis etc. So I mean like full on. I think Aussie V8's is probably the most well known.
In a time of global financial crisis... cheap motorsport is the key!! GPRL resumes in 2009!
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

I agree with Moony, Matt Neal's team worked wonders to develop their own car and win two titles with it. And then they won a race yesterday in the first 2007 BTCC round with a car they'd only finished building a week ago! Top stuff.

FK, nice idea about the glory days, I may well look into that. It would recall the great days of the much-missed TOCA shootout! Wonder if I can work it so Nigel Mansell gets hit from behind by an errant Tiff Needell... Seriously, 1990's BTCC was great fun and some of the cars and drivers were top drawer. Not many series could claim to have Winkelhock, Biela, Menu, Muller, Giovanardi, Thompson, Priaulx, Tarquini, Mansell et all among its ranks over the years.
Moonrakerâ„¢
GP2 Racer

Post by Moonrakerâ„¢ »

In all honesty I do still enjoy BTCC now. Great that it gets shown too on ITV.