Template for Trackmaps

Here you can present your WIP or new cars and/or stuff you made for GP2
MaxX
GP2 Star

Template for Trackmaps

Post by MaxX »

Hi all,

my current project is the creation of a template, where you can easily create trackmaps for the menu of any track. For this I use classic paint shop pro 8 and 3 layers: one for the background, one for the country flag and one for the layout.

It is designed to use the layouts from wikipedia, if they are CC-BY-SA -> https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
A credit for the author of the layout should do here.

Here is my first try for Salzburgring, what do you think of it? Credits to Will Pittenger for the layout.

What do you say? Any thoughts, what can be better?
Attachments
Salzburgring-Framed.png
Salzburgring-Framed.png (21.24 KiB) Viewed 11640 times
Salzburgring-Full.png
MaxX
GP2 Star

Re: Template for Trackmaps

Post by MaxX »

I have revised the template to be more minimalistic and easier to adapt:
  • It now uses the tracklayout generated by Trackeditor
  • No flags any more -> So it is irrelevant if Brands Hatch is GP of Europe or Great Britain
Here is my first try for Roberto`s and Antonio`s great Monza 2019.
Monza2019.jpg
Any ideas what could be better? Is there a method to get the map in better resolution? I am quite limited by using Trackeditor, but it makes the maps consistent and that`s what I want (I don`t want to adapt all trackmaps any year any more). The GP2-Lap tracklayout generation provides not the results I want.
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

This is how it looks ingame:

Framed version in menu:
2020-05-12 18_56_19-D-Fend Reloaded.png
Big view using track info:
2020-05-12 18_56_47-DOSBox 0.74, Cpu speed_ max 100% cycles, Frameskip  0, Program_      GP2.png
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I think they look very good. But to be honest, I think they would look better being a bit more colourful. But I love the clean design.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can get a better image from the track editor.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

rremedio wrote:
12.05.2020, 18:59
I think they look very good. But to be honest, I think they would look better being a bit more colourful. But I love the clean design.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can get a better image from the track editor.
Thank you :D

Yes, I have tried many variations with more colors, but this is the best so far. Maybe the trackshape itself in the red of trackeditor would be an alternative to the monochrome style :-k
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

Personally, I like the idea of using an image that says "slot 12", "slot 3" (or whatever slot it is) rather than having an actual track picture. I change tracks so often and without gp2lap I would not know what slot is what.
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

samsepi0l wrote:
12.05.2020, 23:13
Personally, I like the idea of using an image that says "slot 12", "slot 3" (or whatever slot it is) rather than having an actual track picture. I change tracks so often and without gp2lap I would not know what slot is what.
Yes, the slots are tedious, I agree. For this reason I have one Full GP2 version per year with ready magic data. For seasons with more then 16 races I just pick my 16 favorites or (if I am not lazy) I have batch files copying bitmap-files, GP2.exe, trackrecords and GP2Lap.conf to switch between the tracks. I also consider to use a small batch-file with an option to select trackset, which copies the file prior the start of GP2Lap, this would be a further improvement :-k
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

I simply used the displayed red layout from GP2Edit, copy paste makes it easy :D
Monza2000_Full.jpg
I also considered versions with more graphics, but much more effort and not that easy to get an uniform look and not have that copyright stuff when releasing it :D
eky78
GP2 Gamer

Post by eky78 »

This is interesting. How did you do that with TrackEditor?
DaSilva82
GP2 Starter

Post by DaSilva82 »

MaxX wrote:
15.05.2020, 19:15
I simply used the displayed red layout from GP2Edit, copy paste makes it easy :D
Monza2000_Full.jpg

I also considered versions with more graphics, but much more effort and not that easy to get an uniform look and not have that copyright stuff when releasing it :D
I like them MaxX! They are simple and clear. And indeed, no worries about copyright. In my case, that's something else...
Schermopname (19).png
The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose.
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

I definitaly like trackmaps in that style, I also used to get such maps for season updates, but in many cases the maps where made in a different style for the upcoming season and I had to find all circuits again and make them GP2 compatible :(

I think of maybe using layers and shadows to make it look a little bit better, but the results where not as I wanted them :-k