The darkest side of F1

Here you can post everything to every motorsport!
HF
GP2 Star

The darkest side of F1

Post by HF »

http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=-755804911668058560

I think I needn't to say anything else.

This is really hard, esaccially

about minute 4: a man is crashed by an F1-car

about minute 8: Roger Williamson burns in his own car and nobody is helping him except David Purley, his friend.......
and how much power a F1 car has you can see about minute 9,30

I just started crying :cry:

If I see this, I can understand MM.
- . -
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

I still remember the day after Imola how I found out that Senna had died before I went to school... :cry:
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

I was coming back from seeing all my family (they live some distance from me) when I heard about Senna. I'd seen the accident but at the time I didn't even know about Barrichello's practice accident or Ratzenberger's fatal crash...
What a horrible weekend that was.
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
Moonrakerâ„¢
GP2 Racer

Post by Moonrakerâ„¢ »

I watched it through this link some time ago. I feel the music does a lot to capture the tradegy more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5POVNw8nuQ
In a time of global financial crisis... cheap motorsport is the key!! GPRL resumes in 2009!
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

To be honest I'm not sure these links have a place here.

Motorsport is dramatic enough without seeing people die in front of you.
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
Moonrakerâ„¢
GP2 Racer

Post by Moonrakerâ„¢ »

I think they do. Obviously it's people's choice to watch them too. You don't have to watch them.

The only thing that can help the sport out of this is to make it more safe.

Senna's legacy on the track is matched by how many lives he has saved since those tragic 3 days in San Marino. No driver has died since in F1. It is still dangerous, and maybe more back in the day, but every person who gets into an F1 car, or any fast car, knows the dangers and if they don't they shouldn't be there. Each driver to have ever raced in F1 is a hero of sorts, these past masters who lost their lives need remembering. It is because of them the sport is so safe now.

If nothing was done, so many more could have died.

Senna's last moments you could see he was fazed by this and is said to have started action about making it more safe there and then. Unfortunately, we lost him too :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-lM_kLFXhU
and this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO6K2vrS ... ed&search= helps to explain something

Remember these heroes and how we lost them, some heroes walk among us still... Hill, Prost, Schumacher, Ricardo Patrese.... they all do. But we have lost so many :(
In a time of global financial crisis... cheap motorsport is the key!! GPRL resumes in 2009!
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

I think it's impossible to really come to terms with that... one the one hand, it's absolutely justified like you say it, many improvements came out of tragedies like that - on the other hand, on an emotional level people go, "If they'd done some of these things sooner, maybe these people didn't have to die the way they did."

However, I think talking about these accidents is a valid point, because a lot of people who are into F1 for a few years might not necessarily know things weren't always as safe as they are these days...
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

It's right that those accidents have improved the safety of the sport. Have, what actually means it's not necessary anymore to discuss them or to watch them again. So I don't really think we need this, too.
Visit my website: FK's sportscar project
HF
GP2 Star

Post by HF »

Of course I know that these video(s) are horrible but this is the reality. For me as child (I'm only 15) is that a very sad thing and in any way unbelivable thing thing. This shatters me really down.

And, this is sad to say but if some of this accidents weren't not, I think that someone have died at a aaccident like in Spa 1998.

I think that you does know the day excactly. You were about 12-16. I was 2 :wink: So it's a very different thing for me.
- . -
Moonrakerâ„¢
GP2 Racer

Post by Moonrakerâ„¢ »

HF wrote:And, this is sad to say but if some of these accidents didn't happen, I think that someone might have died at an accident like in Spa 1998.

Very well said.

Or even Schumacher's leg break at Silverstone could have been much much worse and the 2 BAR's at Spa (Zonta and Villenueve) in 2001?? I think.
TdK
GP2 Pro

Post by TdK »

.............speechless............. :cry:

R.I.P. all...
TdK - (re)tired GrandPrix 2 manic!
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Moonraker; I think the BARs at Spa was 1999. Also Mika Salo had a huge one in the same place in 1998 in the Arrows, it cut the car in half lengthways! Also Burti's two accidents (Germany and Belgium) in 2001 would have been unsurvivable 20 years ago.
Having said that, I think what happened post-Imola 1994 was an over-reaction. As Gerhard Berger said at the time, it's not like the sport had suddenly become much more dangerous; the whole weekend, and Wendlinger's accident two weeks later, was all just horrible coincidence. Certainly the sudden installation of tyre chicanes at some circuits (such as Barcelona) after Imola was not needed and probably made things even less safe! But the constant evolution of stronger cars thanks to crash-testing (which was initiated by then-FISA president Jean-Marie Balestre back in the 1980's) has helped save a number of lives.
HF
GP2 Star

Post by HF »

Greyhead wrote:... the whole weekend, and Wendlinger's accident two weeks later, was all just horrible coincidence.

I just read that Berger and Hill shouted: "Oh no, he is dead, he must be dead!"
The accidents of Barrichello, Ratzenberger and Senna on this Weekend just gave the most F1 drivers the "rest", I think.

Greyhead wrote:Also Burti's two accidents (Germany and Belgium) in 2001 would have been unsurvivable 20 years ago.

Yes, I think so too.
- . -
TdK
GP2 Pro

Post by TdK »

Also one i still remember, is dutchman Jos Verstappen who crashed two times very hard. Once in Spa 1996, and France 1997.

Both of the times his throttle came stuck wide open so he crashed very hard. The neckrests around the cockpit, was proved later on, saved his life...

Without that kind of safety measures he would have (certainly) died or terrible injured, as many others who had high-speed or bad crashes....

Fisichella, France 2003
de la Rosa, Italy, 2000
Villeneuve, Australia 2001
Burti indeed, Germany & Spa 2001
Alonso & Webber, Brazil 2003
Rosberg, Brazil 2006
And not forget, Ralf Schumacher 2 times on Indianapolis.

And so on, the list would be alot longer without all the safety stuff nowadays. It's a shame (i think) that the best driver ever born, who was keen/and longing for safety, needed to die first.... :cry: before they really began to take some action.
TdK - (re)tired GrandPrix 2 manic!
kimi_mp4-18
GP2 Newbie

Post by kimi_mp4-18 »

Don't forget Elio De Angelis ... :cry: