F1 season 2011

Here you can post everything to every motorsport!
MaxX
GP2 Star

F1 season 2011

Post by MaxX »

Due this doesn`t fit into the other 2010er thread, I`ll make a new one ;)
jakesanson wrote:So now we have a possibility of watching an 8 or 9 way fight for the title in 2011:

Hamilton and Button at McLaren
Alonso and Massa at Ferrari
Webber and Vettel at Red Bull
Schumacher and Rosberg at Mercedes
Kubica at Renault

Who knows what will happen???
Sounds like a thrilling prospect, let`s see what will happen ;) Maybe Renault/Lotus gets another Hotshot with equal skills to Kubica? It`s a pity Raikkonen has no seat at the moment. He is not a very intoxicating person, but can be real fast.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Re: F1 season 2011

Post by rremedio »

Raikkonen wants to stay at the WRC. Renault has a lot of good alternatives for the second seat, but I think they will keep Petrov and I don't see they making a winner car for 2011. But who knows?

I'm very disapointed becouse Pirelli tyres will probably be near as good as Bridgestone and I miss good old F1 tyres a lot.

I'm a Williams fan, so I always wish they manage to make a better car next year. But I don't have too much hope.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

In german press I read, that Alonso did say related to Michael Schumacher: "Wenn alle das gleiche Auto hätten, wäre er der Stärkste." ("If everyone had the same car, he would be the strongest.")

Now in english articles I only read, that he said: "[So] now in January if I have to choose one name I have to say Michael [is my main worry]. He is still super class and if the car is right he will be a contender".

So what did he really say??
Visit my website: FK's sportscar project
nimrod111
GP2 Gamer

Post by nimrod111 »

V12-Power wrote:In german press I read, that Alonso did say related to Michael Schumacher: "Wenn alle das gleiche Auto hätten, wäre er der Stärkste." ("If everyone had the same car, he would be the strongest.")

Now in english articles I only read, that he said: "[So] now in January if I have to choose one name I have to say Michael [is my main worry]. He is still super class and if the car is right he will be a contender".

So what did he really say??
Well, if I know well F1 drivers, I think it's the second option. A driver will NEVER admit that another driver is the greatest, unless that driver is gone away.
ooleeeo
GP2 Starter

Post by ooleeeo »

I also feel disappointed that kimi wont return this year and williams are going through a horrid time.
Klon
GP2 Starter

Post by Klon »

nimrod111 wrote:Well, if I know well F1 drivers, I think it's the second option. A driver will NEVER admit that another driver is the greatest, unless that driver is gone away.
Unless they use it as a strategical move. Schumacher used to say that he fears Frentzen the most (the obvious wife-stealing joke aside) to try and unrest his main competitors. And since Vettel has shown himself to be a possible victim of mind games, Alonso sure feels like rubbing salt into that wound.
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

nimrod111 wrote: Well, if I know well F1 drivers, I think it's the second option. A driver will NEVER admit that another driver is the greatest, unless that driver is gone away.
I definitaly miss Hakkinnen vs. Schumacher, they respected each other and still where fighting hard. Hakkinnen once said with a grin:"Michael is the fastest driver in the world....after me of course" :lol:
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

There seem to be quite a few motivations for these critiques and compliments of other drivers, really.

First of all, you could really think this one guy is the best, because you've taken a good look at yourself and decided that, comparatively, you don't reach up to him. Yeah, right. O:)

Then again, every racing driver supposedly loves the cliché that he‘s the best, that no one could ever beat him, and if they do, it‘s only because of better material, unfortunately random circumstance, favouritism (of somebody else, of course) or, say, mafia-esque aliens stationed somewhere around Alpha Centauri bending reality out of shape.

Then, there‘s the motivation to say another driver is the best ever, because then, if you beat him after all, you can talk about how much more value it gives to your title that you managed to score it while XY was competing.

As another variant, if a driver comes back from retirement, he might maintain a position that he‘s only doing this for the fun of it, even if the great results elude him.

That sounds great and funny, especially if you mention how the other drivers around you would be young enough to go through as your children.

But then again, you don‘t say that because you want to have an excuse when they get better results than you, right?

The new guys, on the other hand, might position themselves saying that XY is just another driver, that racing against him just helps them realise how every driver is just the same, beatable, with some kind of weakness.

Yet you can see young drivers putting so much energy in making a point to defeat and outrace this one driver. I thought he was just one of twenty-three identical opponents?

Then, there‘s the whole complex of saying you are more likely to win the championship, because that other driver over there makes too many mistakes.

Yet you might have crashed out of this race, missed the top ten in that qualifying, and lost valuable points colliding with this other guy.

It just goes on and on, doesn‘t it?

That‘s really the kind of acting part of the sport that I pretty much try to ignore at this point...
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
HF
GP2 Star

Post by HF »

So new ferrari got released. Nothing special. Ough, did I already said that I hate those Pirelli-tyres? Don't like how the name was painted on...

Let's face now the period when each tem shows us their new cars. I'm sittin' here with MS PAint, Paint.NET and Inkscape to paint new cars, so where do they come? ^^
- . -
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

Nice to hear that you are ready to paint this cars HF
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

I'm excited again to see some new cars, but Monday and Tuesday next week are more going to be like an overload... :)
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Seems I missed that, but I`ll take a look at the pics later :D
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

What I find positive as an early signal is that the deployment of the moveable rear wing should be well visible from the outside, so at least one can see where that might play a role in overtaking attempts without yet another symbol in the graphical overlay for the television broadcast.
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

Yes, I agree AD and I hope this will improve the overtaking action. It will be interesting to see if the FIA really stays with the original rule, that the driver in front is not allowed to use it, when the one behind is within less than a second. I think this may generate some interesting but also weird and maybe even unfair situations. Two examples I can imagine:

ex1: 2 cars at the same pace, overtaking each other at the end of a straight every lap.
ex2: In 2010 a driver that is clearly faster is stuck behind a slower car but can't overtake, in 2011 he uses his rear wing in is ahead. So a situation like Petrov/Alonso may not happen anymore (in other words an underdog who fights like a lion has no chance against a top-car anymore). :?

Another interesting thing is the return of the kinetic energy recovery systems. I think this time the teams without it won't have an advantage anymore as it was in 2008, because the weight limit was increased by 20 kg to 640 kg (approximated KERS weight 30 kg). Although the teams without KERS can use more weight to distribute, with an intelligent packaging the KERS won't have a too big disadvantage speaking about weight-distribution. So I think teams without the system have no chance against the ones that have it in use.

Another new, but acutally old thing that returns: the 107% rule. Let's see what this means for the backmarkers, my feeling says this is not good for Kartikeyan and HRT. Just remeber Tyrrell and Rosset in '98. #-o

I personally will attend the 2010 GP von Deutschland at the Nürburgring, my first F1-race but I just have to see the most complete driver of all times and upcoming 8 times world champion live once! I just hope Mercedes gives him the car he needs and deserves. [-o< Next week will maybe already show if this can be the case.
Visit my website: FK's sportscar project
nimrod111
GP2 Gamer

Post by nimrod111 »

V12-Power wrote:
Another interesting thing is the return of the kinetic energy recovery systems. I think this time the teams without it won't have an advantage anymore as it was in 2008, because the weight limit was increased by 20 kg to 640 kg (approximated KERS weight 30 kg). Although the teams without KERS can use more weight to distribute, with an intelligent packaging the KERS won't have a too big disadvantage speaking about weight-distribution. So I think teams without the system have no chance against the ones that have it in use.
I agree. And for this reason I think that Ferrari and McLaren should be slightly ahead of Red Bull...unless Newey finds out another crazy aerodynamic solution!